Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 06:48 AM

10,757 posts, read 4,346,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
That's a little presumptuous to make after one game, to call GS a lock. I do, however, agree they are the favorites by a comfortable margin. No way in hell they are a lock...

If you want to make one game assessments, I can easily say the Warriors lost to both the Nuggets and Bucks with Steph, two teams with the length and matchups to defend them, and able to score with them. But I don't make one game assessments...

The Raptors are the best the East has to offer right now, and the only other team in the conversation is Milwaukee. Everyone else in the East looks like they'd get bludgeoned by The Dubs. Toronto and Milwaukee both can make it a series. And Toronto has played much, much better than they did the other night...

Sticking with my pick, Raps win the whole thing, but I'll say this, too. I'm not a believer in Milwaukee yet, but the trajectory is great and if they continue positively, they are going to be a serious title contender come April. And the Nuggets are the second best team in the West, they have a puncher's chance if they meet Golden State...

Back to the Raps real quick. Leonard and Green have elevated the confidence of that roster. I don't think Kawhi us back to Top 5 status, but his presence changes the way you have to approach Toronto. KD made some difficult shots over Kawhi thr other night but we know those shots don't always fall. Kawhi and Green give the Raptors, already a great defensive team, two potential lockdown wings. How many other teams have TWO lockdown wings, which you need to beat the Warriors? And Kawhi's ability to control both sides of the floor and drop 30+ with a team of shooters around him, this team is better than the Spurs team two years ago that was blowing out Golden State in Oakland in Game 1 of the WCF. if Kawhi fully regains that form, they will be okay versus The Dubs...
I know I referred to the result of the GS@Tor game, but I'm really basing "lock" on the eye test more than the result.
I don't get a sense Toronto have a hope.
As for Milwaukee, that depends on whether the Freak can lift his game in the playoffs, because 25.7ppg (he averaged in the playoffs) probably won't be enough.
Philly are built better for the playoffs than Milwaukee.
Toronto have lock-down wings, but Durant scores 51 on them, and who knows if they (or Lowry) can contain Curry....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I know I referred to the result of the GS@Tor game, but I'm really basing "lock" on the eye test more than the result.
I don't get a sense Toronto have a hope.
As for Milwaukee, that depends on whether the Freak can lift his game in the playoffs, because 25.7ppg (he averaged in the playoffs) probably won't be enough.
Philly are built better for the playoffs than Milwaukee.
Toronto have lock-down wings, but Durant scores 51 on them, and who knows if they (or Lowry) can contain Curry....
I'm glad you brought up Giannis. He's still overrated. I feel as if he's become a more mature player this year, playing for a mature coach within a mature system. At least he's trying to develop a jump shot, what about your boy Simmons? Not even trying...

In the playoffs, I also have to see Giannis elevate. He'll win his first couple playoff series this year, but I gotta see how he performs in the clutch. I gotta see him be the difference maker as the stakes get higher. I'm enjoying his progression, but I like his team more than I like him and I have to see him perform to believe him. The NBA anoints and overrates players all the time, he clearly is a Top 10 player but not Top 4 and Embiid is the best player in the East, period...

Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
The Raps/Dubs game the other night showed that a healthy Warriors team is still the Gold standard to which others aspire. That doesn't mean they're a lock. But it's going to take a superb effort from a very, very good team to beat them 4/7. I think the Raptors can be that team. They've shown flashes of being great and have got 50-some more games to gel. It's going to be a fun season.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
The Warriors didn’t have Curry or Green the other night and still nearly won.
I’m still not buying the Sixers being the beast of the East, even with Butler. The Raps look even better than last year and Kawhi is still my MVP choice for the year. The fact he’s still underrated after all these years is pretty amazing, but mainly due to his personality.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:03 PM

Durant scored 51 on Kawhi.
And Lowry isn't good enough to play Curry.
Toronto simply don't have the tools, and will probably get swept.
Whereas at least Philly have someone that Golden State has no answer for - Ben Simmons averaged 18ppg 10apg and only 2.5 turnovers in 2 meetings with Golden State last season.....while Embiid looked clueless for some reason (16.5ppg 7.5rpg .407fg), but the trio of Simmons-Butler-Embiid are ideal for facing Golden State.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Durant scored 51 on Kawhi.
And Lowry isn't good enough to play Curry.
Toronto simply don't have the tools, and will probably get swept.
Whereas at least Philly have someone that Golden State has no answer for - Ben Simmons averaged 18ppg 10apg and only 2.5 turnovers in 2 meetings with Golden State last season.....while Embiid looked clueless for some reason (16.5ppg 7.5rpg .407fg), but the trio of Simmons-Butler-Embiid are ideal for facing Golden State.
Lmao GS will take Simmons out of the game. He certainly hasn't proven he can step up in the playoffs, he can't shoot, and no matter who they put him on, their offense is better than his defense. Embiid will eat, but Butler is another guy who has never shown he can be anything in the playoffs hahahahaha. I like your optimism, though. The hope is that the three of them can mutually elevate each other, if they can then we have a conversation...

Til then, keep dreaming, bud...

Old 12-02-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lmao GS will take Simmons out of the game. He certainly hasn't proven he can step up in the playoffs, he can't shoot, and no matter who they put him on, their offense is better than his defense. Embiid will eat, but Butler is another guy who has never shown he can be anything in the playoffs hahahahaha. I like your optimism, though. The hope is that the three of them can mutually elevate each other, if they can then we have a conversation...

Til then, keep dreaming, bud...
I probably have less optimism than anyone, because I know its impossible for anyone in the East to beat Golden State in the Finals.

Simmons 2018 playoffs:
16.3 points
9.4 rebounds
7.7 assists
1.7 steals
0.8 blocks
.488 field
.707 free-throws

Simmons only had ONE bad game, and it was at Boston.
And for most of that game, Philly were bombing away from downtown (and led by 20-something points) so Simmons was rightly taking a backseat to his shooters.
Game 1 @BOS: 18 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists
Game 2 @BOS: 1 point, 7 assists, 5 rebounds
Game 3 vBOS: 16 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists
Game 4 vBOS: 19 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists
Game 5 @BOS: 18 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists

Last edited by MAGAalot; 12-02-2018 at 04:54 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 10:31 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
So who had the Lakers a half game back of Golden State in the standings after 23 or 24 games?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
So who had the Lakers a half game back of Golden State in the standings after 23 or 24 games?
Shhhhh, you're gonna upset some people with suggesting the Lakers just might be good...

When LeBron went to Miami in 2010-11, they started 15-8 and went on to finish 58-24 and lose in the NBA Finals. The year before he got there, Miami won 47 games and lost in 5 games in the first round...

When he went back to Cleveland in 2014-15, the Cavs started 14-9 and went on to finish 53-29 and lose in The Finals. The year before he got back, the Cavs won 33 games and hadn't made the playoffs since he left in '10...

LA is 14-9 and hasn't made the playoffs since 2013. That streak is as good as gone, and the Lakers are currently on pace for 50 wins. I definitely don't think they are as good as The Dubs, but listen, it always takes LeBron's teams a while to gel, and they always go through several rough patches. They are going to be one of the best teams in The League by April, and I don't care what their seeding is. It's going to be a problem to eliminate them in the playoffs in "the brutal West"...

Old 12-03-2018, 02:34 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Everyone was trashing them in that Lakers prediction thread, but I was one of the few who put them at 50+ wins. Any team Lebron joins becomes an instant contender, no matter how bad the previous season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball