Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2020, 04:36 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,336,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I finally got to watch a full game since the Pelicans played Milwaukee tonight. Some thoughts from the game.

He looked to shine best at offensive rebounds. His jump is explosive. He seemed to struggle some against the length of Middleton, Lopez, & Giannis, and went 5 for 18. Tonight, he didn't really use his weight or power from what I could tell to move people around. He bumped up against Giannis a couple times when trying to get to the rim, & then just backed away & passed the ball.

Defensively, he looked a step slow, almost lazy at times letting players drive by him & not even raising an arm to contest a shot. Maybe he's winded? He looks more like a strong offensive player.

He seems humble. I hope he stays healthy, & stays in New Orleans. I think with any NBA player who has ever played, it's way too early to make predictions on who will be an all-star when they're in their 1st year of playing. He's only 19. Some of the hyping by the media on him needs to slow down this season. Just let him play & learn, & not overanalyze every time he touches the ball.
Good assessment! I think he has the stuff to be a great player. It's just too early with him, Doncic, Morant, etc. to gauge over the long term. By the 3rd or 4th year, you will see what you have. Look at Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball. Those two guys are coming into their own now in their 3rd year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 10:53 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
UNSTOPPABLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z00ukjuoNw

Old 02-07-2020, 08:43 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Wait til he has a few offseasons to polish his low post game and develop a more consistent jumper. He's gonna be a force.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
zion shooting .588 from the free throw line. Not quite as bad as Lonzo Ball (.558, .474 for NBA career) but still he's going to have to do better. I think probably he can do it, but time will tell.

Poor free throw shooting was a big thing that really dragged down Dwight Howard's NBA career. I think you have to get to at least 70-75% to be an effective NBA player in the 4th quarter, when it matters.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:45 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
zion shooting .588 from the free throw line. Not quite as bad as Lonzo Ball (.558, .474 for NBA career) but still he's going to have to do better. I think probably he can do it, but time will tell.

Poor free throw shooting was a big thing that really dragged down Dwight Howard's NBA career. I think you have to get to at least 70-75% to be an effective NBA player in the 4th quarter, when it matters.
Why are you so fixated on FT %??

The number of legitimately GREAT NBA players who were worse FT shooters than Zion is long

Giannis is arguably the BEST player in the game today.....his FT % is 61

Ben Simmons shoots 62% and can't hit a 3 to save his life....Zion already has more 3's this season than him...

Wilt? Shaq?....I think those guys had pretty OK careers....

Dwight Howard's career trajectory has been downward for a decade...his FT shooting had almost NOTHING to do with it

Old 02-08-2020, 05:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Why are you so fixated on FT %??

The number of legitimately GREAT NBA players who were worse FT shooters than Zion is long

Giannis is arguably the BEST player in the game today.....his FT % is 61
Yes, and his poor free throw shooting was a big factor in the Bucks loss to the Raptors last year in the conference finals. You make my point for me (pun intended).

Quote:
Wilt? Shaq?....I think those guys had pretty OK careers....

Dwight Howard's career trajectory has been downward for a decade...his FT shooting had almost NOTHING to do with it
Wilt and Shaq I will grant you. But they were so dominant that they were able to get past that flaw in their games. Zion is not going to be Wilt or Shaq. It's a different game now in any case.

If your star player can't hit his free throws in crunch time, it's a big problem.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:23 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Zion joins a select group of NBA players, only the fourth 19-year old in NBA history to have at least 31 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8diwc3W-O8w

Old 02-12-2020, 12:58 AM

10,724 posts, read 4,333,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Yes, and his poor free throw shooting was a big factor in the Bucks loss to the Raptors last year in the conference finals. You make my point for me (pun intended).

Wilt and Shaq I will grant you. But they were so dominant that they were able to get past that flaw in their games. Zion is not going to be Wilt or Shaq. It's a different game now in any case.

If your star player can't hit his free throws in crunch time, it's a big problem.
Zion will be a better scorer than Shaq.
I can see Zion averaging over 30ppg for many years.
Shaq's highest regular season ppg was 29.7ppg, and his highest in the playoffs was 30.7ppg.
Zion is a more versatile scorer than Shaq.
Zion is less reliant on power and more reliant on finesse, body contortion and insane finishing skills.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:47 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,336,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Shaq's highest regular season ppg was 29.7ppg, and his highest in the playoffs was 30.7ppg.
Zion is less reliant on power and more reliant on finesse, body contortion and insane finishing skills.
I am becoming a believer. He did some moves last night that were just astonishing! Didn't see all that coming out of Duke. Dropping 31 last night was no joke. Damn! Can't wait until he starts winning so I can see him in the playoffs. Although I don't see him being intimidated by the moment at all.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,558,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Shaquille was a Center playing in a different playstyle than today's NBA. Not even comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball