Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 09:05 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times

Advertisements

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...lina-first-win

One of the most bizarre streaks in North American sports came to an end on Saturday. The Clemson Tigers Mens Basketball team had never won a game in Chapel Hill. They had beaten UNC in the state of North Carolina a handful of times in the ACC Tournament, but never in UNCs home town. 0-59 going back to the 1920's! Even in the years when Clemson had good teams they could never win this particular road game. That not only came to an end, but the Tigers did it by coming back from being down 10 in the last 2 minutes and hitting the tying 3 in the final seconds of regulation.

Big congrats to the Clemson hoops fans out there. I know a few of you used to post here and if you're still reading this, you don't have to be reminded of the winless drought anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 04:49 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...lina-first-win

One of the most bizarre streaks in North American sports came to an end on Saturday. The Clemson Tigers Mens Basketball team had never won a game in Chapel Hill. They had beaten UNC in the state of North Carolina a handful of times in the ACC Tournament, but never in UNCs home town. 0-59 going back to the 1920's! Even in the years when Clemson had good teams they could never win this particular road game. That not only came to an end, but the Tigers did it by coming back from being down 10 in the last 2 minutes and hitting the tying 3 in the final seconds of regulation.

Big congrats to the Clemson hoops fans out there. I know a few of you used to post here and if you're still reading this, you don't have to be reminded of the winless drought anymore.
Really bizarre when you think Wofford had already beaten UNC twice in Chapel Hill in the past couple of years and Clemson had never done it before...

Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Really bizarre when you think Wofford had already beaten UNC twice in Chapel Hill in the past couple of years and Clemson had never done it before...
This is unbelievable - as a Duke basketball fan it’s fun seeing UNC struggle. Granted, the rivalry is also fun when UNC is at full force. I wonder if they’ll ever get back there under Roy Williams? Some of the Jordan shine on Carolina is fading with these younger kids.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:03 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
^^This.

I remembered hearing it mentioned a few years ago that Clemson had not beaten UNC in Chapel Hill, but I forgot about it until now...I was thinking, "Wow, they still had not ended that streak?"

Old 02-07-2020, 12:48 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Still a month left in the season, but Baylor already beat Kansas in Lawrence so if they win again in Texas later on this season that will put a big dent in Kansas tying/winning outright streak of consecutive big 12 regular season titles which I think is at 15 or 16 years.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:38 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Clemson has rarely beat UNC at home so never understood the focus on the streak in Chapel Hill.

Clemson beat a UNC team with Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter and other great players in the ACC tournament in Charlotte back in the late 90s to advance to ACC title game.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:59 AM

597 posts, read 448,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Clemson has rarely beat UNC at home so never understood the focus on the streak in Chapel Hill.

Clemson beat a UNC team with Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter and other great players in the ACC tournament in Charlotte back in the late 90s to advance to ACC title game.

No they didn't. When Jamison and Carter were in college.... the ACC Tournament was held in Greensboro. Clemson made the Finals in 2008 when it was in Charlotte..... but it was Duke who they beat on the way to losing to Tyler Hansborough and company in the Finals.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:36 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

Because a team has never won on an opponents home turf and has had 59 tries to do so is not something that is common?

Old 02-09-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Because a team has never won on an opponents home turf and has had 59 tries to do so is not something that is common?
My point is the more unbelievable stat is how few times Clemson has beat UNC period. The location of the game is irrelevant in comparison to that in my view.

It is like 21-120 since 1949 or so.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-09-2020 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-09-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
No they didn't. When Jamison and Carter were in college.... the ACC Tournament was held in Greensboro. Clemson made the Finals in 2008 when it was in Charlotte..... but it was Duke who they beat on the way to losing to Tyler Hansborough and company in the Finals.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1996/03...6060826347600/

You might want to take a little time to research things before you try to correct somebody who went to Clemson. I clearly wasn't talking about the 2008 team b/c Carter and Jaminson were long gone from UNC in 2008.

This is considered by many to be Clemson basketball's greatest moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmGyTDfNks

I may have got the tournament location wrong but not the outcome of the game and opponent. I know it was in NC somewhere which goes to my point about it basically being a road game.

I'd rather have that one win against UNC in the ACC tournament than Wofford's two wins in meaningless regular season games at Chapel Hill.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-09-2020 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball