Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 09:07 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,352,311 times

Advertisements

Well, watching my Knicks vs. Sixers last night was interesting for the 1st half. They actually were hanging in against the Sixers until after halftime. The whole game any Knicks jumper was brick city. They can't hit the side of a barn! Barrett had a horrible game but all the guards are just abysmal. Payton, Smith Jr., etc. They act like they forgot how to play the game. Wasn't for Randle and Alec Burks this game would have been over after the 1st quarter. Sorry the rooks- Obi and Quick- were inured. Maybe their youthful exuberance could have gave them a jolt. Mitch Robinson was gasping for breath before the 1st half was over. Oh boy! Noel was decent off the bench. Maybe he should start but they seem committed to Robinson. Looks like another long season for my Knicks. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 12:08 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
LaMelo Ball looked really good in the first half against OKC. Then they hardly played him in the 2nd half and they lost the game.

I think he will be ROY by a wide margin.

Don’t play LaMelo Ball because it’s popular; play him because it’s best for Hornets

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...248051600.html

The Hornets are 0-2, which leaves fans frustrated. But what seems to really annoy them is the limited playing time Ball, the No. 3 overall pick, is getting. After scoring 13 points in nine first-half minutes — on 5-of-6 shooting — Ball played just 6 1/2 minutes in the second half of a 109-107 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:38 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
LaMelo Ball looked really good in the first half against OKC. Then they hardly played him in the 2nd half and they lost the game.

I think he will be ROY by a wide margin.

Don’t play LaMelo Ball because it’s popular; play him because it’s best for Hornets

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...248051600.html

The Hornets are 0-2, which leaves fans frustrated. But what seems to really annoy them is the limited playing time Ball, the No. 3 overall pick, is getting. After scoring 13 points in nine first-half minutes — on 5-of-6 shooting — Ball played just 6 1/2 minutes in the second half of a 109-107 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder.
I think the problem is right now the two best players on the Hornets are the two PGs, Rozier and Graham so they both have to play. Playing those two along with Ball is going to be a problem as you now have 3 guys who need the ball in their hands, not to mention defense is going to be horrible since Ball would have to guard a small forward instead of a 1 or 2. This points directly at the management for pisspoor planning. If you are going to draft Ball, then you needed to trade one of the other two, probably Rozier. As long as Rozier is playing well he is going to have to keep playing which means Ball sits on the bench.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I think the problem is right now the two best players on the Hornets are the two PGs, Rozier and Graham so they both have to play. Playing those two along with Ball is going to be a problem as you now have 3 guys who need the ball in their hands, not to mention defense is going to be horrible since Ball would have to guard a small forward instead of a 1 or 2. This points directly at the management for pisspoor planning. If you are going to draft Ball, then you needed to trade one of the other two, probably Rozier. As long as Rozier is playing well he is going to have to keep playing which means Ball sits on the bench.
I do see your point. That is probably why GS passed on him. They bring him in and he sits behind Curry and his dad is tweeting how Ball should be starting. I would trade Graham for a big and get Ball in the starting lineup.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:26 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Ball not scoring any points in his debut isn't the end of the world, but it's just so Charlotte Hornets. It's not a list (top-3 picks to not score in their debut) you want to be on though. I'm fine with him gradually making his way onto the roster though I understand why others don't like that.

Kid can pass and can handle the ball well. His lack of scoring and lack of defense is worrisome however.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Ball not scoring any points in his debut isn't the end of the world, but it's just so Charlotte Hornets. It's not a list (top-3 picks to not score in their debut) you want to be on though. I'm fine with him gradually making his way onto the roster though I understand why others don't like that.

Kid can pass and can handle the ball well. His lack of scoring and lack of defense is worrisome however.
Not sure what you are taking about. Past two games together Ball has played 35 minutes total and scored 19 points hitting 4-7 3's. He also has 11 rebounds and 6 assists as well as 2 steals. If he plays regular minutes and can average those numbers he is ROY easily.

In his 2nd game which I watched he defense seemed good and besides hitting 3's he has a good mid-range shot.

To change the subject the NBA is starting in an odd fashion. The elite teams so far are struggling to win half their games so far and we have seen Miami as well as the Clippers lose in epic blowouts. Seems like the seasons were too close together and teams are still in preseason mode.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:04 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Not sure what you are taking about. Past two games together Ball has played 35 minutes total and scored 19 points hitting 4-7 3's. He also has 11 rebounds and 6 assists as well as 2 steals. If he plays regular minutes and can average those numbers he is ROY easily.

In his 2nd game which I watched he defense seemed good and besides hitting 3's he has a good mid-range shot.

To change the subject the NBA is starting in an odd fashion. The elite teams so far are struggling to win half their games so far and we have seen Miami as well as the Clippers lose in epic blowouts. Seems like the seasons were too close together and teams are still in preseason mode.
I think you may be on to something. My Knicks are 2-2.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/29/a-funn...on-this-night/

"It was Charles Barkley, years ago, who gave the perfect description for the first few weeks of an NBA season."
“It can be tough,” Sir Charles bemoaned, “because the [lousy] teams don’t realize that they’re [lousy] yet.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:43 AM

515 posts, read 253,141 times
JB will find minutes for Lamelo but its tough justifying taking away Rozier's minutes when he's playing so well right now. Hopefully at the deadline they feel good about trading 1 of Terry or Devonte to open up a spot for Lamelo. Charlotte needs a big really bad and should also be trading Cody Zeller at the deadline because he's expiring. Devonte + Cody + 1st rounder 2022 should be enough for a guy like Nikola Vucevic. It actually isn't a bad deal for Orlando when you think about it (additional scoring help and backcourt piece in Devonte and a big who can start until Bama's ready for a larger role plus a future asset). It helps Charlotte that Evan Fournier's contract expires and Devonte can be brought in as a guy who can play alongside Fultz/Cole Anthony. Lineup for Charlotte is Lamelo, Rozier, Hayward, PJ Washington, and Vucevic, which will be quite good offensively.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:49 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
JB will find minutes for Lamelo but its tough justifying taking away Rozier's minutes when he's playing so well right now. Hopefully at the deadline they feel good about trading 1 of Terry or Devonte to open up a spot for Lamelo. Charlotte needs a big really bad and should also be trading Cody Zeller at the deadline because he's expiring. Devonte + Cody + 1st rounder 2022 should be enough for a guy like Nikola Vucevic. It actually isn't a bad deal for Orlando when you think about it (additional scoring help and backcourt piece in Devonte and a big who can start until Bama's ready for a larger role plus a future asset). It helps Charlotte that Evan Fournier's contract expires and Devonte can be brought in as a guy who can play alongside Fultz/Cole Anthony. Lineup for Charlotte is Lamelo, Rozier, Hayward, PJ Washington, and Vucevic, which will be quite good offensively.
I would rather trade Rozier. I'm just not a fan of the "undersized two guard" which is what Rozier strikes me as being. Graham is the better pure point, which is important as it will allow Ball to take his time blossoming into the PG that he will eventually become. And I keep forgetting that Hayward is also in there to help out with the passing game as well. So substitute Graham for Rozier and I actually think this is not a bad lineup.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would rather trade Rozier. I'm just not a fan of the "undersized two guard" which is what Rozier strikes me as being. Graham is the better pure point, which is important as it will allow Ball to take his time blossoming into the PG that he will eventually become. And I keep forgetting that Hayward is also in there to help out with the passing game as well. So substitute Graham for Rozier and I actually think this is not a bad lineup.

Rozier is averaging 26 points a game which should bring some talent in return. Hayward is there but not doing that much. He looked good in Utah but not since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball