Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 04:58 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I dunno, I actually like Hayward's game. I thought he was unfortunate in Boston, first the terrible injury (it was all downhill from there) and the bigger issue that Boston already had two guys playing in the swing spots in Jalen and Jayson. So Boston had to either go super small to play all three or sit one of the other two which just caused more problems.

As bad as MJ has been, I really like Hayward for the Hornets, for the simple fact that it allows them to keep Ball on a tight leash. He's the type of player who has to be sat on to make sure he does the little things, play defense etc. With Hayward and the two PGs, he can be benched at any time. Just giving him the keys and allowing him to keep up all the bad habits he has would have been terrible for his career long term. This way, he is allowed some freedom but still has to work hard for his minutes which can only help improve his game in the long term.
Two guys who improved very rapidly, at that. They both took advantage of all the minutes thrown there way while Haywood was out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 06:56 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Two guys who improved very rapidly, at that. They both took advantage of all the minutes thrown there way while Haywood was out.
This is the culprit to why Hayward never worked in Boston. Boston found out very quickly that they nailed the draft with Tatum and Brown. You also knew very early on that they were 2 pieces you could build around, and not only were they young, but they weren't overly raw talents either. Neither of them are boom or bust talents.

Hayward, after his injury, became boom or bust. He was going to have to outplay Tatum and Brown, which just wasn't possible for him. He's not that kind of player and he just kept getting injured. You can't prove yourself when you can't stay on the court. We all know how good of a player Hayward is, but I'm afraid it will never be as good for him as it was in Utah. Sometimes it's best to play for an organization where not much is expected. Not everyone gets to be the superstar of a destination team. Sometimes you are just going to be the superstar of a team no one wants to go to. Nothing wrong with that. Just as there are chiefs, there are also indians.

Look at Isiah Thomas when he played for Boston. He was one of the biggest names in basketball that season and was billed "Mr. 4th Quarter". Ended up with the hip injury in the playoffs and was never the same player. All confidence was gone. He went from one of the biggest booms in basketball to a bigger bust, because of his injury. He could no longer play at the level and confidence he had pre injury.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is the culprit to why Hayward never worked in Boston. Boston found out very quickly that they nailed the draft with Tatum and Brown. You also knew very early on that they were 2 pieces you could build around, and not only were they young, but they weren't overly raw talents either. Neither of them are boom or bust talents.

Hayward, after his injury, became boom or bust. He was going to have to outplay Tatum and Brown, which just wasn't possible for him. He's not that kind of player and he just kept getting injured. You can't prove yourself when you can't stay on the court. We all know how good of a player Hayward is, but I'm afraid it will never be as good for him as it was in Utah. Sometimes it's best to play for an organization where not much is expected. Not everyone gets to be the superstar of a destination team. Sometimes you are just going to be the superstar of a team no one wants to go to. Nothing wrong with that. Just as there are chiefs, there are also indians.

Look at Isiah Thomas when he played for Boston. He was one of the biggest names in basketball that season and was billed "Mr. 4th Quarter". Ended up with the hip injury in the playoffs and was never the same player. All confidence was gone. He went from one of the biggest booms in basketball to a bigger bust, because of his injury. He could no longer play at the level and confidence he had pre injury.
Probably a bit harsh of me here, but I think the Hayward signing was a mistake by Ainge and showed a lack of confidence in himself. He just spent lottery picks drafting swing men back to back (Brown in 2016 and Tatum the next year), but then goes and signs ANOTHER swingman as a free agent? He was basically hedging his bets I guess, which would make sense if those two had been second round picks or undrafted free agents. But that doesnt say much for his drafting when you spend lottery picks and are still not sure about them.

As for Hayward, I still stand by what I said. I absolutely think he can be maybe a good number 2. He can create his own shot and create for others. That skillset is not appreciated enough. Not everyone can be James Harden or Westbrook.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:05 PM

515 posts, read 252,561 times
Lamelo Ball becomes the youngest player in NBA history to record a triple-double, with 22/11/12 as Charlotte hands Atlanta their 4th straight L, 113-105. As a Hornets fan he has got the city's attention now. Everybody's on the Lamelo Ball train now. current standings:
East: Philly, Boston, Indiana, Orlando, Milwaukee, New York, Cleveland, Charlotte, Miami, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Washington
West: Phoenix, LA Lakers, Clippers, Utah, Dallas, San Antonio, Golden State, Portland, OKC, Sacramento, New Orleans, Denver, Houston, Memphis, Minnesota

biggest surprises so far: Indiana, New York, Phoenix, Orlando
biggest disappointments so far: Toronto, Washington, Denver

Old 01-10-2021, 12:18 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
Lamelo Ball becomes the youngest player in NBA history to record a triple-double, with 22/11/12 as Charlotte hands Atlanta their 4th straight L, 113-105. As a Hornets fan he has got the city's attention now. Everybody's on the Lamelo Ball train now. current standings:
East: Philly, Boston, Indiana, Orlando, Milwaukee, New York, Cleveland, Charlotte, Miami, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Washington
West: Phoenix, LA Lakers, Clippers, Utah, Dallas, San Antonio, Golden State, Portland, OKC, Sacramento, New Orleans, Denver, Houston, Memphis, Minnesota

biggest surprises so far: Indiana, New York, Phoenix, Orlando
biggest disappointments so far: Toronto, Washington, Denver

Lamelo is the real deal. Like I said a couple weeks back he will be ROY. Now the only questions are when will he be in the starting lineup and who might get traded.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:55 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lamelo is the real deal. Like I said a couple weeks back he will be ROY. Now the only questions are when will he be in the starting lineup and who might get traded.
Yeah it's definitely been a pleasant surprise to see how well he's doing. But it goes back to what I said before. Keeping him coming off the bench where the pressure is lowest as when he comes on he's playing against the other teams second unit. I think I keep him coming off the bench for at least half the season if not longer. But he is looking like the real deal. So ROY and possibly 6th man of the year too?

I do wonder if that would have also worked better for Lonzo. I remember him coming to LA and being made the focal point of the team, Magic talking about getting his jersey in the rafters, etc. That all put tremendous pressure on him not to mention getting every opposing teams best efforts and we've seen the results. Look at his play now he's away in New Orleans, much better. Some people are made for the spotlight, others not so much.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah it's definitely been a pleasant surprise to see how well he's doing. But it goes back to what I said before. Keeping him coming off the bench where the pressure is lowest as when he comes on he's playing against the other teams second unit. I think I keep him coming off the bench for at least half the season if not longer. But he is looking like the real deal. So ROY and possibly 6th man of the year too?
He has been coming in 5 to 6 minutes into the 1st quarter. He is playing against starters often and with starters on his team. And he has been closing out games. So what you are saying is not true. It might have been the first couple games. Bridges has been coming in early also.
Quote:
I do wonder if that would have also worked better for Lonzo. I remember him coming to LA and being made the focal point of the team, Magic talking about getting his jersey in the rafters, etc. That all put tremendous pressure on him not to mention getting every opposing teams best efforts and we've seen the results. Look at his play now he's away in New Orleans, much better. Some people are made for the spotlight, others not so much.
The deal with LaMelo is Charlotte made some moves and had a set starting lineup not really knowing how good he would be. Apparently they are getting ready to move him in the starting lineup. Regarding Lonzo. I agree bringing him along slowly would have been better. His shooting is still bad. In fact he has regressed back to his rookie year percentages. And his rebounds / assists are at career lows. He can't hit free throws. Career 49%. His passing aptitude is very good but everything else is below average.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:50 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
Lamelo has been filling up the stat sheet lately. He seems like he could get a triple double every game. I agree with keep him coming off the bench for now. Lavar mentioned awhile back that he was the superior out of all the brothers. Looks like he was right again.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Lamelo has been filling up the stat sheet lately. He seems like he could get a triple double every game. I agree with keep him coming off the bench for now. Lavar mentioned awhile back that he was the superior out of all the brothers. Looks like he was right again.
I guess Lavar is demanding that Lemelo starts. I do see the wisdom in taking ones time with this. The team is winning, Lemelo is playing well, etc. No real reason to shake things up.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/artic...16514_33782423

In a conversation with Melissa Rohlin of Fox Sports, LaVar made the case that LaMelo deserves way more playing time than the 26 minutes he got against the New Orleans Pelicans on Friday night:

Tell me, have you ever seen a marquee guy, a marquee guy that you promoting in all of this ‘brothers going up against each other,’ and he don’t start?”

Old 01-12-2021, 12:54 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
I guess Lavar is demanding that Lemelo starts. I do see the wisdom in taking ones time with this. The team is winning, Lemelo is playing well, etc. No real reason to shake things up.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/artic...16514_33782423

In a conversation with Melissa Rohlin of Fox Sports, LaVar made the case that LaMelo deserves way more playing time than the 26 minutes he got against the New Orleans Pelicans on Friday night:

Tell me, have you ever seen a marquee guy, a marquee guy that you promoting in all of this ‘brothers going up against each other,’ and he don’t start?”
HA!! Well it took him long enough to grace us with his presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball