U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 03:45 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 6,007,236 times

Advertisements

I was watching the Suns/Lakers game until I couldn't handle it. The calls in this game are some of the worst I've ever seen. I recently heard that basketball is losing more fans per year than any other major sport. I've heard two theories... the terrible calls and the thug image of many of the players. What do you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM

872 posts, read 3,297,973 times
It's just plain boring.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 AM

2,003 posts, read 4,461,752 times
This league is a joke and a waste of time. Stopped watching 10 years ago, I advise you to do the same.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,433,698 times
I don't watch - I listen when I can - follow however I can...
Guess none of ya'll are PISTONS fans!!!
MAH BOYS FROM DA MOTAH CITAAAAAY!!!
Go kick some AAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,163,527 times
Default It's the thugs, and other things, too

When I was growing up, I watched the NBA because there were just some great talents and great teams like Bird's Celtics, Dr. J's 76ers, and the Showtime Lakers. Then in the '90s there were Jordan and the Bulls that sort of set the gold standard for the rest of the league to aspire to. Today- meh. I guess I heard once too often about how Iverson was the Second Coming when I knew from Day One that he was too selfish to ever lead a team to a championship. Kobe probably belongs in jail, even though he's very gifted. Guys like Duncan and Nowitzki can play, but the basketballs they play with have more personality than they do. For a league to remain popular, it needs some "golden children" who have that mix of talent and charisma a la Jeter, Peyton, and Brady, and the NBA doesn't have nearly enough of them.

It's just a bad mix right now IMO. Too many of the most talented players unfortunately have much more of a posse concept than a team concept...

Old 04-30-2007, 01:23 PM

792 posts, read 2,927,015 times
Every time I lament professional baseball and mention how the general populace (at least outside the northeast) doesn't care no matter how much the mainstream media tries shoving it down our throats, I am reminded it isn't pro basketball for heaven's sakes. Basketball is even my favorite sport, but I haven't watched a second of the professional game in about 10 years. Treating the NBA playoffs as one of the premier sporting events still in this country is sorely misguided. Most people don't care. The ratings are awful. The game is dull, the atmosphere at arenas unimaginative and boorish, the rules and style of play of this Mickey Mouse game are an insult to basketball purists, and the fundamentals are a disgrace. In fact past the teeny bopper years, I'm not so sure ANYONE cares: well perhaps except for a few fairweather season ticket holding CEOs. Why does anyone need the NBA anyhow when you have NCAA basketball???

Old 04-30-2007, 01:53 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 6,007,236 times
I have to say that I enjoy watching the Suns because of the quality in character on our team. Nash and Barbosa are two great examples. I'm getting extremely frustrated with many other teams and their thug players. I don't go to the regular games because of the types of fans the sport attracts. I just don't feel safe! I think the best example of this is when they showed the Golden State fans at last night's game.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:14 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,525,552 times
I watched: da bulls sweep the Heat!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM

111 posts, read 548,313 times
I don't know, but I am still ENJOYING the NBA game. I am loving DA BULLS right now. 2nd round against the Pistons to me personally, is going to be the real Eastern Conference finals. And whoever wins between the Bulls and the Pistons will be in the NBA Finals, taking on Phoenix... Yeah, Phoenix will be in the Finals. The Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Warriors and Mavericks, won't be there.

But the NBA is still a great League. People talk about the thug appeal, but you have to understand, it's not the 80's any more. Times are different. People wear their hair different, dress different and love tattoos now.

It's called evolving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball