Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,611,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
Hardwood Paroxysm » Blog Archive » March Madness And The Debate Of Quality Versus Entertainment (http://tinyurl.com/y8gnpfj - broken link) Hardwood Paroxysm » Blog Archive » March Madness vs. the NBA Cont’d: Meaning in the ‘Monotony’ (http://tinyurl.com/yegtat8 - broken link) people should definitely read these two articles. Everything I and others have been saying, for quite sometime. As an NBA fan I finally feel defended and I feel in solidarity with others who appreciate Professional basketball.
wow, what a couple of dbags. typical Espn crap.

"slowy mcwonderbread" really?!

long haired "weepy mcwonderbread"?? awesome!!

Dude should just come out and say NCAA BB is boring because there are too many white people on the court.

I want my 3 minutes back.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 03-22-2010 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
regarding the Syracuse blow out yesterday-------------blame #4 Gonzaga for that ( not CBS)

Seems nobody was complaining that the Saturday televised game between Kansas and #9 Northern Iowa was a blowout.

Glad every NBA p;ayoff game is a nail biter ( sarc)
I wasn't blaming CBS for the blowout in the Syracuse game, I was saying why do they only show 1 game at noon on Sunday, and then have to pick from 4 games in the 2:20-2:40 ET slot?? Why not start the Syracuse game at 12 and another game at like 12:20 so in the event of a blow-out, you can switch to the other game?? That was all I was saying.

They always squeeze that 1st Sunday of the tournament action - 8 games into 7 hours (when they devote 9 or 10 hours on Saturday) - all in the name of their precious 60 minutes show!! It would be ok CBS for just once to move it back to 8 or 9 PM, I'm sure all the dedicated viewers of that overrated program would forgive you!! I mean you are paying $6 billion to televise the NCAA tournament, why not add an extra hour or two of programming (half of which will be commercials)?!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
I prefer NBA over NCAA. NCAA basketball is so.........amatuer.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:42 PM

140 posts, read 129,108 times
I prefer the pros over guys who will be playing rec league ball in 2 years. Most of the stuff I see in March Madness i wouldn't really consider basketball, like the Nets-T'Wolves.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrome View Post
I prefer the pros over guys who will be playing rec league ball in 2 years. Most of the stuff I see in March Madness i wouldn't really consider basketball, like the Nets-T'Wolves.

Yet, you consider guys that are constantly breaking the main rule in basketball to be real basketball?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I prefer NBA over NCAA. NCAA basketball is so.........amatuer.
Taking 6-7 steps to the hoop is amateur.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
BINGO

( that was discussed on Pardon the Interuption just last week)

Sad that the only way "pros" can keep the ball from getting stolen while driving to the basket is to avoid dribbling.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
BINGO

Sad that the only way "pros" can keep the ball from getting stolen while driving to the basket is to avoid dribbling.

It's sad that it has become accepted. For some reason, people love dunks so the NBA has allowed this so it adds to the highlight reels.

I would much rather see a quality jump shot over a dunk anyday of the week. Making a dunk just means you are tall and can jump. Making a jump shot takes actual skill.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,443 times
Quote:
It's sad that it has become accepted. For some reason, people love dunks so the NBA has allowed this so it adds to the highlight reels.

I would much rather see a quality jump shot over a dunk anyday of the week. Making a dunk just means you are tall and can jump. Making a jump shot takes actual skill.
I agree to some extent w/your first point, but you're telling me dunking a basketball doesn't take skill?? You may be right for the big guys like Yao or Zydrunas - they don't even have to jump really to dunk (they also rarely make ESPN) - but to see a guy like D. Wade or Lebron have some of their amazing dunks, you don't think that takes athletic skill/ability?? And while your point is taken that a jump shot takes skill as well, what gets the fans loud and the momentum swinging, a thunderous dunk by Lebron over a defender, or a 18-foot jump shot by a guard??

My point isn't to discount the importance of a jump shot and having an outside game - heck, the one knock on Lebron his whole career until the last year or so was he had a weak jump shot, and teams dared him to shoot it - but to say that a dunk simply means that a guy is tall & can jump is not giving it a fair shake. What is the one big separating fact that keeps men's bball (NBA & college) superior to women's? Athleticism & dunking ability! Which is part of the reason why the ESPN's show dunking during their highlights.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
BINGO

Quote:
Show me a clip of someone actually taking 6-7 legal steps in an NBA game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball