U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,913 times

Advertisements

I am moving to BR from the Detroit area. I am reading a lot of places that there is an issue with crime in BR, I’m sure it’s like all cities and has its bad parts. But I was wondering if there was a safe area that younger people who are out of college usually live? I have read that there are bars and some night life in BR so I'm figuring that there has to be an area fun for people who are out of college and joining the work world. I will be working near the plaquemine area.

Any info would be great thanks!

Last edited by michiganman22; 07-22-2010 at 10:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 AM

67 posts, read 160,309 times
Now there's plenty of folks that are much much much more knowledgable about the area than I, but from the perspective of someone that moved here about 7 months ago, it's no different than most any other mid sized city you visit in terms of crime. There are areas that get rattled off to avoid after dark and not to live in Gardere, north of Florida Blvd, etc. but again that's everywhere. The city had a dramatic increase in crime after Katrina, but that has largely subsided. Now where to live depends on what you're willing to do in terms of travel. If you live in BR, you'll have to endure crossing the bridge everyday, and depending on what time can be a test of your patience. If you live on the east side of the river and further south, you can either go that same route, or use one of the ferries to get across. OR, you can live on the west side around Port Allen so you're just across the bridge from BR to ease your drive to work, but still close to do anything there.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 AM

25 posts, read 65,087 times
My family and I just moved here from the detroit area. Crime is not bad, at least it's not on par with Detroit. I'm not sure what you do, but I really like the perkins rd. Area. I live in denham, outside of baton rouge and the traffic is unbearable!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,221 times
Gardere Lane/GSRI and areas south of LSU aren't too good. Perkins Road is nice. The Garden District is nice. Baton Rouge has lots of nice neighborhoods and if you are sensible about what you do and don't have a proclivity for high risk activities, you'll be fine. It will sure be nice come December & January (the weather that is). Actually, life across the river isn't too bad. There are areas that are probably more reasonably priced and have character all their own. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 AM

67 posts, read 160,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans191172 View Post
Gardere Lane/GSRI and areas south of LSU aren't too good.
And when hans says areas SOUTH, it means primarily immediately south not the entire area.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:47 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,010,922 times
Your budget will narrow it down for you . How much ? Buying or renting ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge