Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,417 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering taking a job in BR and have never been there. I will be coming in to town next week and am looking for some suggestions on where to look for a place to call home.

I am looking for a house to rent around the 1,200 range in a nice part of town/suburb.

The job is somewhere around the I10/I12 split i believe and my wife would work from home so nothing too far away, but with the hours I work i should miss alot of the rush hour problems?

Please help me with some areas that I could drive around to next week in the evening.

Thank you all in advance for the reponses.

CMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 AM

28 posts, read 129,091 times
I've been staying at the Crossland Economy Studios, a long stay type motel on Boardwalk Dr., since August 31; and have been using the CATS {Capital Area Transit System} to get around, so my knowledge of nice and not so nice places in Baton Rouge is very limited. I can say this with total confidence: Run away from PLANK Road!

On the few routes I have traveled, it seems there are a lot of stores, vacant or soon to be; shanties; and, well, dangerous/scary areas. Again, my travels have been very limited. I-12 is just over my motel's property's fence, and there is heavy traffic during the AM and PM rush hours. To me, the suburbs, wherever they are, might be a good, safe place to live.

I encountered Joseph, a bike-riding cigarette-panhandling homeless person, twice--once at the main bus terminal and again at the LA WorkForce office on Wooddale Boulevard--and he said, "... pretty much anything south of Florida Boulevard is not really nice."

Baton Rouge certainly is interesting...

Old 08-15-2010, 07:06 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,333,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnickel View Post
and he said, "... pretty much anything south of Florida Boulevard is not really nice."
That statement is totally incorrect . Speak with a Realtor to get the real facts .

Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 PM

217 posts, read 571,062 times
Renting a house for $1200 may be slightly difficult. The new homes around Nicholson/Bluebonnet are very nice. Lake Beau Pre on River Road may be in your price range as well, but often times nice 1 bedroom apartments are nearly $1200.

There are a few neighborhoods off of Burbank, close to Gardere that may work for you as well. Gardere isn't nice, so steer clear of that road.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,479,449 times
I must admit, I don't really know of places to rent, but south Baton Rouge is nice-I live in the area and just love it! I love this city and all it has to offer my family and I. I really have come to appreciate it after traveling to south Florida to my former city I used to live in and boy, what a dump is has become. The economy killed it and any people under 50 got the heck out of there and now once again, it is a senior city with nice older folks. People have no idea how much fun this town can be-especially those who say there is nothing to do-they are way wrong! Most of North Baton Rouge can be scary, but then again, I really don't go there too often except to Tony's! best to you!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,664,257 times
Several 2 bedroom houses in Capital Heights rent for around $1000-$1200 I believe. Best deals will be found by just driving around the neighborhoods looking for "for rent" signs. Also check out craigslist.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM

595 posts, read 1,167,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I must admit, I don't really know of places to rent, but south Baton Rouge is nice-I live in the area and just love it! I love this city and all it has to offer my family and I. I really have come to appreciate it after traveling to south Florida to my former city I used to live in and boy, what a dump is has become. The economy killed it and any people under 50 got the heck out of there and now once again, it is a senior city with nice older folks. People have no idea how much fun this town can be-especially those who say there is nothing to do-they are way wrong! Most of North Baton Rouge can be scary, but then again, I really don't go there too often except to Tony's! best to you!

I was being very sarcastic when I posted that there was nothing to do here,Just get tired of people asking the same question over and over and then they very seldom respond when You tell them what all there is to do.very few ever come back and post a thanks are I did not like that ,or that was no fun ect.AH TONY'.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,417 times
Thanks for everyones opinions!!!

I am going on my 3rd week here in BR and beleive that I will continue to live in San Antonio. BR is not my type of place. It is very dirty here.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 PM

101 posts, read 260,203 times
Amen from another San Antonian.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM

595 posts, read 1,167,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OD's View Post
Thanks for everyones opinions!!!

I am going on my 3rd week here in BR and beleive that I will continue to live in San Antonio. BR is not my type of place. It is very dirty here.

It is very dirty and I am fixing to move because of the air quality and the trash everywhere(not much pride).Another thing I don't like is people parking two wheels of there car in the grass,eventually it will be a mud hole and the dirt is in the street then stirred up by other autos in the air for us to breath.I was sent an AIR QUALITY REPORT,after studying it I was disappointed that all it was ,was a lot of different readings from around the city and state and then the presentation was put together by JAY GRIMES .Too Me that is like taking the TEMPERATURE IN THE SHADE.They can make it come out any way they want .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: