U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 10,649 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NY on long island and am relocating to the Baton Rouge area because of a job. I'm a white, female in my late 20's and have no idea about anything in, around, or about Baton Rouge. Can anyone point me in a direction for finding an apartment decently located near the baton rouge metropolitan airport since thats where the job will be located. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated since I don't really know what areas are good areas and what areas are mostly run down and not really good to move to.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 03:28 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,328,983 times
Most areas around the airport are going to be run down. The best suggestion I can give is to look at the suburbs of Zachary and Central (to the north and east of the airport) or the Garden District or Downtown Baton Rouge where you would have easy access to I-110 which takes you directly to the airport. The airport is surrounded by the ghetto. There is a string of decent buisnesses along Harding Boulevard but other than that it is a very undesirable area to live.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,076,931 times
If you like a more rural(ish) setting you might consider looking north of Baton Rouge.

You don't want to live around the airport.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 PM

217 posts, read 523,415 times
As a LI native myself, I'll tell you that it's VERY different down here. I'll echo that you DON'T want to live anywhere near the airport. There are some really nice apartments on Jefferson Highway and Corporate Blvd. I'm sure you're used to sitting in LIE traffic, so I-10/12 traffic won't be too hard of an adjustment. Trust me, you're better off spending a little more time getting to and from work than living closer to work and run the risk of getting robbed, mugged, shot, etc. That being said, Louisiana is a great place, you just have to know where to go and where to stay away from.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 23,893 times
Good area in Baton Rouge? For a young, white female? ::: crickets chirping :::

Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,000,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDad View Post
Plenty of good areas , just not near the airport . If you don't mind a commute of 30 minutes or so , that will open up a lot of possibilities .

Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,328,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDad View Post
Sounds to me like you aren't too familiar with Baton Rouge.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 PM

37 posts, read 102,520 times
You aren't going to be mugged or shot, and there are great areas in BR. Just don't be dumb. It has crime like any other city but unless you are stealing/dealing you have nothing to fear.

Coming from LI I'd say try Spanish Town or the Garden District. More urban.

My girlfriend lives in Spanish Town alone. Young, white female. Doesn't have any problems. She's been there for over a year. Like mentioned above there are some great apartments along Jefferson/Corporate. Newer and upscale with Towne Center shopping right there.

Anyway, long in the short... don't live by the airport. My grandmother still lives near there, but only due to being stuck in her ways. She's had multiple things stolen from her garage, and her neighbors have reported break ins. Avoid north of Florida (other than Spanish Town).

Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 11,907 times
College and Corporate has nice apartments near by. Its a safe area, convenient and you wont have a long commute to the airport

Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 PM

122 posts, read 335,067 times
I second the Spanishtown/downtown area- lots to do down there and you could take 110 right to BTR. It will take no time at all.

TIP: look on craigslist for apartments.Many apartments down there are houses turned in to multiple aparments, so they might post on there. Also, I belive there may be high rise apartments for rent downtown, though they might be $.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge