Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,413 times

Advertisements

Really ? Who told you that ? Did you gather this data through some scientific survey , or is this just your own miguided opinion ? I know the answer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM

22 posts, read 74,849 times
The latest data shows that BR is one of the top cities in the U.S. to ride out the recession and it has a very low unemployment rate compared to the rest of the country. So why should BR change. We must be doing something right. Just because it's not the place for you or the change you want does not mean it is a bad place. Get over it. Not every city has to be like a New York or San Francisco to offer something. Not everybody wants the lifestyle these God forsaken places offer. It's ironic how cities like BR and others that are fairing well in these economic times are rooted in the same values. I think the past election overwhelmingly showed this to.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM

59 posts, read 56,552 times
BR may have a lower unemployment rate, but there are plenty of people here who are underemployed. A few percentage points in Baton Rouge is a few thousand people.

Nearly one third of Baton Rouge wage earners say they have trouble feeding their families. I wouldn't call an economy good when the majority of job opportunities are dead end minimum wage jobs.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
BR may have a lower unemployment rate, but there are plenty of people here who are underemployed. A few percentage points in Baton Rouge is a few thousand people.

Nearly one third of Baton Rouge wage earners say they have trouble feeding their families. I wouldn't call an economy good when the majority of job opportunities are dead end minimum wage jobs.
Can you post a link to these " facts " ? Something verifiable ?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM

595 posts, read 1,172,834 times
Many of the bars are filthy and dingy.

If You find the Pastime lounge and sports bar,both locations of The Chimes ,or the voodo Bar-b-q sports bar,or walkons ect. filthy and dingy SIR YOU NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP MENTALLY.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:38 AM

[quote=nevdowell;16122519]I am in my 20s and live here. I hate it, but that doesn't mean you will. Yes, there are bowling lanes and two dog parks. There are tons of bars. I just dislike the atmosphere. Many of the bars are filthy and dingy. The people are very small minded, which works for some I suppose. As for the dating scene, most people are married in their early to mid 20s. A lot of people my age already have kids and are divorced. Some even have 2 or 3 kids from different men (or have that many kids with different women) and are considered middle class. The infrastructure here is also terrible. The roads are pretty beat, there are few turn lanes, and no sidewalks in a lot of places. You are walking into the late 1950s in terms of thinking, but the 1920s in terms of infrastructure.

Many companies have difficulty finding skilled labor to relocate here. The schools are terrible, its hard to get anywhere, and the quality of life is far less than most other places unless you like poorly maintained neighborhoods, hunting, fishing, and college (not pro) sports.[/quot

What is Your reason for staying in a place that You hate?Could it be that You are not qualified to where You can secure a job in a better location,or is it because You still live with MOM AND DAD?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Can you post a link to these " facts " ? Something verifiable ?
I talk to people on a daily basis that represent a cross section of Baton Rouge.

Just because you continue to belittle and deny why people dislike Baton Rouge doesn't mean everyone has to like it here.

Again, according to the Baton Rouge Advocate, nearly 30% of families live in poverty. That is way above the national average. This is for the city, not the whole Parish. I think if the whole Parish was included it would be around 17%.

I never said it's the worst place in the world. I just prefer other places.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:32 PM

[quote=fbbertusa;16626197]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevdowell View Post
I am in my 20s and live here. I hate it, but that doesn't mean you will. Yes, there are bowling lanes and two dog parks. There are tons of bars. I just dislike the atmosphere. Many of the bars are filthy and dingy. The people are very small minded, which works for some I suppose. As for the dating scene, most people are married in their early to mid 20s. A lot of people my age already have kids and are divorced. Some even have 2 or 3 kids from different men (or have that many kids with different women) and are considered middle class. The infrastructure here is also terrible. The roads are pretty beat, there are few turn lanes, and no sidewalks in a lot of places. You are walking into the late 1950s in terms of thinking, but the 1920s in terms of infrastructure.

Many companies have difficulty finding skilled labor to relocate here. The schools are terrible, its hard to get anywhere, and the quality of life is far less than most other places unless you like poorly maintained neighborhoods, hunting, fishing, and college (not pro) sports.[/quot

What is Your reason for staying in a place that You hate?Could it be that You are not qualified to where You can secure a job in a better location,or is it because You still live with MOM AND DAD?

Sometimes people have to relocate here for various reasons. Sometimes their job made them, other times it is voluntary but comes with a good string attached. Other times, it is temporary. You never know unless he or she says.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
I talk to people on a daily basis that represent a cross section of Baton Rouge.

Just because you continue to belittle and deny why people dislike Baton Rouge doesn't mean everyone has to like it here.

Again, according to the Baton Rouge Advocate, nearly 30% of families live in poverty. That is way above the national average. This is for the city, not the whole Parish. I think if the whole Parish was included it would be around 17%.

I never said it's the worst place in the world. I just prefer other places.
I don't care if you dislike B.R. Really , I don't . But , when people post broad , general , and vague " facts " , I challenge them . And when they recommend other people NOT move to , or even visit B.R. , you can believe I will respond to that . Personaly , I happen to despise New Orleans with every fiber of my being . BUT , I keep my reasons to myself and I sincerely hope other people find it enjoyable . I'll never live there , and only visit when I have to , but that's just me . See the difference ?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:28 PM

[quote=bntbr12;16630292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post

Sometimes people have to relocate here for various reasons. Sometimes their job made them, other times it is voluntary but comes with a good string attached. Other times, it is temporary. You never know unless he or she says.
That is exactly what I wanted to know and I have asked but did not here from Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge