Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 13,175 times

Advertisements

I am from a small Florida town and will be graduating college soon. I've been in this small town my whole life and am looking forward to moving to a bigger city. I'll be moving alone with my 2 year old son. Baton Rouge, along with New Orleans, Atlanta, and Athens are some of the cities that i'm considering. Really, i'm just looking for a city with something to do: not too pricey, arts, museums, good food, entertainers (plays, music, sports, etc), but a city that still has that country feel!

Would Baton Rouge fit what i'm looking for? Any info on crime, housing prices, and just quality of life would be greatly appreciated, and so would info on any of the other cities!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM

101 posts, read 261,364 times
I believe that San Antonio meets your criteria. The cost of living is very low, job market is as good or better than anywhere ese, and the schools are good to very good in most areas. It's a safe city/ Several universities and colleges. Stuff to do? Very diverse culturally and ethnically. Hiking, biking, camping. Lakes, fairs and festivals. SA is one of the most popular cities for tourists in the country and the community loves the visitors. Sea World. Fiesta Texas. 2 hours from the coast; 3 hours from Houston, 1 hour from Austin, 4 hours from Dallas. Have I mentioned how affordable San Antonio is? No state income tax. GREAT roads. I was there for 20 years and loved every single minute up if.

Baton Rouge is good.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKeiara View Post
I am from a small Florida town and will be graduating college soon. I've been in this small town my whole life and am looking forward to moving to a bigger city. I'll be moving alone with my 2 year old son. Baton Rouge, along with New Orleans, Atlanta, and Athens are some of the cities that i'm considering. Really, i'm just looking for a city with something to do: not too pricey, arts, museums, good food, entertainers (plays, music, sports, etc), but a city that still has that country feel!

Would Baton Rouge fit what you're looking for? Any info on crime, housing prices, and just quality of life would be greatly appreciated, and so would info on any of the other cities!

Thanks
BR and NO or both great. BR has a lot more job opportunities but NO has a lot more culture.

NO will be a lot more expansive but also have lot better restaurants and things to do.

Either way you have to decide whats more important in your life. Cheaper living or better culture.

busta

Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM

59 posts, read 56,556 times
Baton Rouge is a much smaller city, feels more like a few large towns to me anyway. There are some attractions, a few art shows, a few museums near downtown. It is probably cheaper than Atlanta and New Orleans. Athens is a college town. Baton Rouge is a college town except a little bigger and not as compact. The job market in Baton Rouge for professional (i.e. college grad) work is a little bit rough. Atlanta is the biggest city of the ones you are looking at. Unless you are willing to live an hour outside of Atlanta, not really a country feel. New Orleans in the city doesn't have a country feel. Baton Rouge has a country feel to me because it's the smallest city I've ever lived in, but it might feel like a big city to someone from a town of 5,000 people.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:29 PM

21 posts, read 103,218 times
Consider somewhere out in the western states.. 4 season climate,( no humidity), or hurricanes... probably a better job climate... nicer people, and alot more recreational opportunities! I grew up in Louisiana myself but after spending at least 10 years out west with the military, I'd never consider going back there except just to visit relatives!

Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 PM

20 posts, read 34,541 times
I have lived in the BR area for 10 years after re-locating here. I have hated every minute of it. The crime is out the box and housing in a decent area to live is too high. My wife says woman are grossly under paid around here as well. I will say that if you are single or a young married couple with no children, BR or NO are pretty cool places to live but this is no area to raise a family. I really fear for my teen age children safety when they go somewhere without me watching over them and we live in the "nice" area of the metro. I would have to second the San Antonio suggestion.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM

59 posts, read 56,556 times
Part of the problem stems from a lack of activities for people to do in BR. There simply isn't much going on. Trouble arises from boredom.

Lots of people also like to play redneck.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Wait til mhounit sees this, he won't be happy. Baton Rouge doesn't like any outside perspectives.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Wait til mhounit sees this, he won't be happy. Baton Rouge doesn't like any outside perspectives.
No , mhounit doesn't like lazy , unmotivated people who go to internet forums to complain .

Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
I respect it when people are proud of where they are from, but folks, this is going on and on! It seems like said people say, "I don't like Baton Rouge. I moved there from _______" and then lifelong natives come on and say, "No! Baton Rouge is great! What do you know!? You've only lived there ____ years!". If you like where you're from then good, but if everyone who comes from elsewhere says the same thing, don't dismiss it as garbage. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge