U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 AM

22 posts, read 70,775 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have a young family and are both from the BR area. We have been wanting to relocate back to the area either around Prairieville or Zachary. After reading all the postings it's hard to tell if it's worth it. We both have family there and would like to be closer to them and the culture we enjoy. We currently live in Hattiesburg,Ms. It is nice here but it is not the same culture. We both enjoy the food, LSU sports, festivals, and love for life La. has. It seems so many of the posts focus on the negatives such as the crime and traffic. Is the crime really that bad or just isolated to certain areas? We have also looked into the Covington/Madisonville area to. Though we don't care for the New Orleans influence in that it area seems really nice. I enjoy the outdoors and have a fishing/hunting camp in Venice, La. I have a 4 year degree in nursing and currently work in sales. My wife is a Master's level social worker. We have found job opportunities in all the areas. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,075,208 times
There are a few haters here that regularly post negative things about B.R. After a while , their agenda becomes obvious . Come check it out for yourself . Consider the City of Central as well .

Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 AM

mhounit I appreciate the reply. We have looked at all areas I mentioned and my wife's parents finish completion of there new home in Central in village lakes subdivision at the end of the month. We get a good vibe on the Prairieville area but as you know first impressions can be misleading or on the money. I know what you mean about the agenda people. Aside from the traffic issues and other petty daily grind issues do you view these areas as positive. Do these areas seem to be going in the right direction. Thanks. I would not be so inquisitive but really worry about what's best for my family.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Zachary and Central are good places to live . I don't have any first hand info on Praireville . I live in Central , so I can answer any questions there .

Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM

mhounit do Zachary and Central both have a positive outlook as far as controlled development. Would like some land but also don't mind subdivisions. The Villages Lakes subd seems nice. Are there any you recommend in the 250k-320k range? Are the school systems in Zachary and Central areas as good as people say? Do you know any nurses or people currently working at Lane and how they like it. Any opinion on the St. Francisville area? Do these areas seem to be away from the crime scene you here about in BR? Thanks.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,354,106 times
Like the one post said, there are so many that hate it here and discourage people from moving to Baton Rouge-I personally LOVE BATON ROUGE!! I love the job I have, I love the number of activities my family and I can do here(soooo many-seriously!) the people are awesome(I actually get let out in traffic-usually LOL), the restaurants here are great, especially Dempsey's and Parrains..my neighbors are our age and have kids my daughter's age and we hang out and talk and all almost every Friday night. This town has some drawbacks-traffic-but any city has that. traffic is almost nothing outside of rush hour and on the weekends! Crime well, I felt less safe in my old city of FT Myers Florida! I am wary when need be and stay out of questionable areas, but crime is random so....BRMan is another one who loves it here as well!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 AM

Direct Message sent .

Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM

To Caa and mhounit I really appreciate the dialogue. We have always loved BR and wanted to move back. I am trying not to beat this thing to death but really just trying to get a better perspective of certain areas we have looked at. I have a 20 month old and working on number two so its kind of hard to leave a comfortable life style to move back somewhere you here such negative things about. We to love the food (Parrain's, Lagniappe, Mansur's, Sammy's etc...) and will be in Tiger Stadium this weekend. I feel some of the comments I read on this sight are people just venting about there current situation and unhappiness instead of an unbiased assessment of the situation. Some commentary is very good. I guess a direct question would be if you could move to another part of the state with the same financial opportunity, would you, or is the BR area the kind of area that would keep you there? Caa, what part of town do you live in? Do either of you feel BR or the surrounding areas are heading in the right direction? In what order would you rank the Prairieville, Central, Zachary or even St. Francisville areas? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,354,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal tiger View Post
To Caa and mhounit I really appreciate the dialogue. We have always loved BR and wanted to move back. I am trying not to beat this thing to death but really just trying to get a better perspective of certain areas we have looked at. I have a 20 month old and working on number two so its kind of hard to leave a comfortable life style to move back somewhere you here such negative things about. We to love the food (Parrain's, Lagniappe, Mansur's, Sammy's etc...) and will be in Tiger Stadium this weekend. I feel some of the comments I read on this sight are people just venting about there current situation and unhappiness instead of an unbiased assessment of the situation. Some commentary is very good. I guess a direct question would be if you could move to another part of the state with the same financial opportunity, would you, or is the BR area the kind of area that would keep you there? Caa, what part of town do you live in? Do either of you feel BR or the surrounding areas are heading in the right direction? In what order would you rank the Prairieville, Central, Zachary or even St. Francisville areas? Thanks.
I agree with your comments, if I were still in Florida, where I did not like living, I would be bashing it too on city data forum! I moved away and now am much happier. I could go on about what I did not care for in the state of Florida...won't get into it...anyway, I live in South baton Rouge pretty close to parkview Baptist School. This area is great and I would never live anywhere else in this area, we are so blessed with our neighborhood and neighbors! I have been to a few other towns outsdie BR, but there is no other place in LA I would be but in BR! I liked St. Francisville, but not enough to up and move there, there is not as much to do especially for me, I like to keep busy most weekends! I like Central, but then again, I don't like the zoning for that area(dump house next to fancy one etc). Good Luck and do not let those silly peeps get to you!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:38 PM

20 posts, read 63,142 times
Caa- I used to live in Ft Myers, FL too. Well I lived there for 8 months after Hurricane Katrina for work. Worked in Naples. I found that the people and culture were drab, only because everyone that lived there was not originally from there. I couldn't wait to get back to Louisiana with the food, culture, hospitality, entertainment, and intense football season!

bengal tiger- I live in Hammond, and I drive to Baton Rouge daily for work. Hammond has North Oaks Medical System (honestly is not the best). But Hammond is a growing college town, and is equal distance from Baton Rouge and New Orleans. My commute daily is 1 hour-1.25 hours with traffic. On a normal day it's only 40-45 minutes. Tangipahoa's school system is average, and Livingston Parish (btwn Hammond and BR)has a good school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>