Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 18,831 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share my thoughts to those who are considering moves to Baton Rouge. My specific audience in-mind when writing this were single 20's/30's y/o's but I'm sure a lot of it can apply to families as well (since there's very little to say regarding public education here, anyway).

(And first I'll preface this by saying I grew up in Baton Rouge and have spent the majority of my life living here, including currently. But as soon as I finish up school at LSU in a few months I'll be off to grad school elsewhere and have a job offer in NY)

I'll also come out and state that much of what I say will be in the form of generalizations, and is only my opinion - so take this with a grain of salt.

If you're coming from another, similar-sized southern city/town then I don't think Baton Rouge will be much of an adjustment. As has been said, despite the city growing in population, much of the entertainment and culture still revolves around college sports (LSU or Southern, depending on your race). Typically people get married in their 20's and buy a house, and have kids in their late 20's/early 30's. People generally work ~40 hours a week (at least those in "corporate" settings) in a fairly laid-back, low stress environment. The culture here definitely doesn't celebrate or encourage "workaholics" like many larger cities (particularly those in the northeast). Saturdays are spent at whatever college sporting event is in season, and Sunday is spent at church/mass and with family.

Again, that is very generalized and some of it will depend on one's career. But generally, Baton Rouge is laid-back and not particularly "motivated" to change/evolve/grow - which can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. People are generally content with what they have/who they are - Baton Rouge people are typically very non-materialistic. But that also means things are relatively "stable", i.e. "stagnant", "stale" etc. In other words, most people have lived here their whole lives, do basically the same thing each week/month/year and are quite content with that. As some have said already - don't expect a lot of "change" or adventure-seekers here. A nice way to put it would be that people here are content with their lives - a less nice way would be to say that people here are generally close-minded and set in their ways.

So if you're coming here as a single '20's/30's something' and looking to meet people (especially to find a significant other who is past their college years) and try new, exciting things I think you'll be disappointed. Baton Rouge has grown in size and the economy/job market is relatively good - but don't make the mistake of thinking that translates into a "city" life at all. As for "things to do" other than college sporting events, unless you like outdoors activities (hunting, fishing) you'll be disappointed as well. And the crime has been mentioned somewhat in this forum, but you should appreciate how truly out of control it has gotten recently. In the past, almost all of the crime was confined to the low-income areas, mostly in North Baton Rouge. Recently though it's been spreading - just check out some of the local news' websites and you're guaranteed to find an article related to some serious crime that has recently happened in a "nice neighborhood." There's also a fair amount of racism (which goes both ways), and the traffic and infrastructure are relatively horrendous considering the size of Baton Rouge.

I'll end this by saying that there are certainly people who will enjoy Baton Rouge. If you like routines, and like doing the same thing all of the time and don't want a lot of stress (other than the traffic and crime concerns) then this can be a great place. The job market is great, the cost of living is extremely low, so if you want to settle down with a family and live a comfortable life then you'd be very happy here. If you want to meet a diverse group of new people though (specifically open-minded ones), have a variety of activities to participate in or have anything remotely related to a "city" life I'd look elsewhere. People that live here have generally lived here a long time, and like what Baton Rouge has to offer. Quite a few of the natives have never lived anywhere else. Those of us who are natives of Baton Rouge and want more variety (both in the people and the activities available) go elsewhere after college; those that remain here are the ones who are content and comfortable with the Baton Rouge-life - and thus the city's culture perpetuates and continues in its "set in its ways" manner (which I suppose is true to some extent in many smaller towns - but Baton Rouge has grown to the size now where I'd expect it to be more diverse in thought and more open-minded to change). In short, Baton Rouge culture is definitely that of a small, college town (although with the traffic and crime of larger cities) - don't let the population or job market fool you into thinking otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
I'll agree with some of what you posted , but a few more years as an adult will change some of your opinions .

Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 AM

9 posts, read 18,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I'll agree with some of what you posted , but a few more years as an adult will change some of your opinions .
Just out of curiosity, and to provide some perspective for those who will read this that are considering moving here, which opinions would those be?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM

You are making the same mistake I see here all of the time . Usually by younger people , although I'm not sure why . Ya'll seem to stereotype or generalize ALL of Baton Rouge as being the same
way . They all think this way , or , they all act a certain way . B.R. is as diverse a city as any other city it's size . More so than a lot of others . Many college students are wrapped up in their own little world and never see this diversity . They say B.R. is a " college town " because that's the world they inhabit . Then there's the " nothing to do " complaint I read all of the time . Don't even go there . I plan on making a seperate thread to address that one , soon .

" It's hard to meet people " . Nonsense . Break out of your little world and think outside of the box . Life isn't just about school and clubbing and facebook .
As I already stated , I agree with some of your opinion . A lot of it actually . And I appreciate your honest opinion without all of the bitterness that seems to be prevalent lately .

Old 11-10-2010, 08:00 PM

101 posts, read 261,525 times
212consultant - Amen. Well said. Bravo. I'm with you on all points. I'm beyond the 30 y/o crowd. I've had >18 months to form my opinions here. I have several friends but none are native to Baton Rouge. I'm with you man -- enjoy grad school and NY.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
You are making the same mistake I see here all of the time . Usually by younger people , although I'm not sure why . Ya'll seem to stereotype or generalize ALL of Baton Rouge as being the same
way . They all think this way , or , they all act a certain way . B.R. is as diverse a city as any other city it's size . More so than a lot of others . Many college students are wrapped up in their own little world and never see this diversity . They say B.R. is a " college town " because that's the world they inhabit . Then there's the " nothing to do " complaint I read all of the time . Don't even go there . I plan on making a seperate thread to address that one , soon .

" It's hard to meet people " . Nonsense . Break out of your little world and think outside of the box . Life isn't just about school and clubbing and facebook .
As I already stated , I agree with some of your opinion . A lot of it actually . And I appreciate your honest opinion without all of the bitterness that seems to be prevalent lately .
I think what the OP is saying is that people in that age group would rather be in places where diversity and activity hits you in the face vs. waiting for you to come find it and not necessarily that there isn't any. I could be wrong though.

I'm looking foward to your thread addressing the "college town\nothing to do" people. The LA forum needs more "heavy" topics.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,118 times
Quote:

well said! I too amtired of people bashing this great city. There are so many plays and cultural events here-just look around, they don't come to you. Baton Rouge Little theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts etc....This is not just a college town, the capital is here and let me tell ,you I am 45 and never feel like the oldest one in the restaurant(unlike when I lived in Gainesville, over 30 and you were the oldest one in the place). I look forward to your thread as well.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 PM

59 posts, read 56,643 times
Baton Rouge isn't a "great city." NYC and Boston are "great cities." Baton Rouge is a large town or small city. I am in my 20s and feel quite bored all the time.

This is a college town, but it is also a sleepy southern town. Depends where one is.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
Baton Rouge isn't a "great city." NYC and Boston are "great cities." Baton Rouge is a large town or small city. I am in my 20s and feel quite bored all the time.

This is a college town, but it is also a sleepy southern town. Depends where one is.
You wouldn't know a " sleepy southern town " if you tripped over it . If you're in your 20's and bored all of the time , you have a severe motivation problem . Probably some anti - social issues as well . Most people your age don't have enough hours in the day to do everything they want to do .

Old 11-12-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that people in that age group would rather be in places where diversity and activity hits you in the face vs. waiting for you to come find it and not necessarily that there isn't any.
Exactly ! ! But when it doesn't smack them in the face , they whine about it on internet forums . No more Mommy driving them to soccer practice , or dance lessons , baseball , or Karate . Now it's up to them to amuse THEMSELVES , and they don't know how .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: