Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 PM

640 posts, read 1,219,374 times

Advertisements

No, it doesn't really have potential on the college town level. Look at Athens, Oxford, Ann Arbor, Knoxville, Berkley, Madison, Austin, etc...All of these places have a college campus with a town or city revolving around it. This is not so in Baton Rouge. Most cool college towns have a nice campus with a small town feel around it (i.e. main street with shopping, bars, restaurants). Again, this is not so in Baton Rouge. The area around LSU doesn't really coincide with the campus itself, it is not coherent.

I don't know about Gainesville or Fayetteville, but Charleston is obviously a great place to go to college. College of Charleston is in the center of the city with plenty of things to do around the area. Not to bring this up again, but Baton Rouge is the kind of college town where you can hardly even walk to a bar or to campus that is only .5 miles away. And, frankly, I don't know what comparing towns "especially in the SEC" has to do with anything. I'm not really sure why you can't compare BR to other cities in the country outside of the South. I think a lot of people in BR think that because LSU has such a great athletic department that makes it a good college town. Again, not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,332,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I think a lot of people in BR think that because LSU has such a great athletic department that makes it a good college town. Again, not so.
You really had to dig deep into your bag of put downs to come up with that one .

Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The thing is..it's not really the best college town...
Who said it was ? And who really cares if it isn't ?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,662,496 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't really have potential on the college town level. Look at Athens, Oxford, Ann Arbor, Knoxville, Berkley, Madison, Austin, etc...All of these places have a college campus with a town or city revolving around it. This is not so in Baton Rouge. Most cool college towns have a nice campus with a small town feel around it (i.e. main street with shopping, bars, restaurants). Again, this is not so in Baton Rouge. The area around LSU doesn't really coincide with the campus itself, it is not coherent.

I don't know about Gainesville or Fayetteville, but Charleston is obviously a great place to go to college. College of Charleston is in the center of the city with plenty of things to do around the area. Not to bring this up again, but Baton Rouge is the kind of college town where you can hardly even walk to a bar or to campus that is only .5 miles away. And, frankly, I don't know what comparing towns "especially in the SEC" has to do with anything. I'm not really sure why you can't compare BR to other cities in the country outside of the South. I think a lot of people in BR think that because LSU has such a great athletic department that makes it a good college town. Again, not so.
You are making me laugh now. Baton Rouge is an awesome college town. Some people give it flack because they think it is in fact too much of a college town with too many of the cool places catering mainly to students. Try again.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 PM

26 posts, read 78,399 times
Hello there,
i skipped most of the banter above, so bear with me if i repeat anything. Me, too, i am a transplant here. i've lived most of my life in NYC and a few years in some other cities around the globe. i'm here for grad school.

i just wanted to say that i always find stuff to do here in BTR. There are reasonably priced capoeira classes at the BREC center. Zumba classes are cropping up around the city. I've found some unpretentious Mommy & Me exercise classes, if you are into that.

The libraries are pretty good, and they have reading hours for young ones.

River Center often has comics and musicians and other events for all ages if you have a few bucks to spend. Parrains is the best. Tony's Seafood is the best, too, and economical! Two bests!

There are also some community gardens being planted around town, and there are inter-faith cooperatives where you can volunteer if you have the time and the whim.

My next project involves ghosts and the history of the land, so i'll be visiting the local plantation museums over the next couple weeks. i'm pretty excited to start the research.

There is stuff to do, magic to behold... you just have to search a little.

Just my two cents.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
Quote:

If it had no potential, they wouldn't be improving the campus and area. It's the states flagship school, of course it has potential. I always know when I'm around LSU, it has a certain feel to it. If thats what you mean by "small town feel," because we are not a small town so why would you even compare that. You're asking way too much man.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:40 PM

LSU itself has a great feel to it. I love campus. On the other hand, the residential areas around LSU are either really ugly, run down, or just a big highway. Just because it's the state's flagship school does not make BR a good college town...

Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Just because it's the state's flagship school does not make BR a good college town...
How many of us care ? .......... That's what I thought .

Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 PM

3,087 posts, read 3,200,644 times
Baton Rouge is a decent college town nothing more nothing less. No it's not a huge one, but it's a decent town. I think city planning has alot to do w/ it(the college and what's surrounding the college not really being coherent, I mean I could say the same thing about Lafayette and Lake Charles).

Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
How many of us care ? .......... That's what I thought .
If you didn't care you wouldn't be responding to me now would you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge