U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM

15,389 posts, read 22,914,111 times

Advertisements

I'm just as happy as the next man that they are widening I-10, but why is it only going to be 6 lanes? No HOV lanes, no EZ-Tag, and no feeders/frontage as of yet. I know I can't rush things with this state , but with the growing population and the future of BR, I don't really know what an extra lane is going to do for anyone. There's enough room in the median on the stretch from Seigen to the split and possibly to College, for a singe HOV/EZ-Tag lane. Also, I don't see either loop being built within the next 20 years, and that would relieve some traffic from I-10.

Another suggestion would be to continue I-110 East before BRMA, South before crossing the Amite, then west back to intersect I-10 to make an inner city loop to help connect NBR to the rest of the city. The only problem is running through LSU, the loop may have to end at I-10, possibly around Blue Bayou.

Airline Highway is (in my opinion) a great potential expressway to run north and south in BR, since we have no current interstate leading into the city from the north. Remove all stop lights, possibly fill the median, and add feeder roads (or frontage, but I live in Houston), to either sides. This can also be done to Florida east of Airline, at least through Livingston Parish. Just imagine getting from Gonzales to Glen Oaks in 10 minutes. This road(s) will be similar to Allen Parkway in Houston.

These are just some of the many ideas I think of when visiting home or when I'm bored in Houston. Please comment and chip in. This forum should be poppin by now!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,960,313 times
the main problem is that suburban infrastructure design is ultimately unsustainable no matter how many lanes of highway are created. It wont ever be enough. The solution to less traffic is smarter city planning. Unfortunately its too late for Baton Rouge. The traffic there will never improve.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:21 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,802,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
the main problem is that suburban infrastructure design is ultimately unsustainable no matter how many lanes of highway are created. It wont ever be enough. The solution to less traffic is smarter city planning. Unfortunately its too late for Baton Rouge. The traffic there will never improve.
Agreed.

Two years ago, even Texas passed a resolution to stop building feeders unless absolutely nessecary. Unfortunately, LaDOTD seems to have taken the opposite approach since everything they've built in my area lately is multi-laned with feeders and more are planned to come.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 PM

I do completely agree with more lanes not equaling lesser traffic but with the "smart" planning that Louisiana does, we will end up with even worse traffic.
What about the other issues? HOV lanes help me and other drivers tremendously when westbound traffic is horrible on I-10, the space is there and currently not in use, and it is a fairly cheap (from what I know, it's cheap) possible factor in relieving some of the traffic from I-10. Imagine how many less cars will be on 12 eastbound and 10 eastbound at rush hour if HOV lanes were implemented.
What about the Airline Expy and Florida Expy ideas? Would that not help move traffic quicker and more efficiently? I would rather use Airline as a N and S artery versus a future interstate to be built through the city.
Also, my idea with the inner city loop is to keep the loop inside the parish but it will also reach the suburban communities that serve BR. And don't moan about how suburbs are so bad for inner city growth, they are here, and they provide an immediate workforce and they spend money in the city. Better connecting them to the city will hopefully spread traffic.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 PM

674 posts, read 1,442,816 times
My mom's family lives in the Baton Rouge, Amite and Hammond areas. Everytime when we would go through BR the traffic was always backed up whether it be morning or night. Is BR traffic worse than NO?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,802,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Is BR traffic worse than NO?
Yes.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,042,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Everytime when we would go through BR the traffic was always backed up whether it be morning or night.
Really ? Morning or night ? Wow !

Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM

He probably goes through BR at around 8AM and 5PM, otherwise the interstates should be moving.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,042,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He probably goes through BR at around 8AM and 5PM, otherwise the interstates should be moving.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good put down post .

Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 PM

Not much of a put down post. But is our traffic really worse than New Orleans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge