Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 PM

275 posts, read 535,949 times

Advertisements

I will be doing some scouting out of areas near Baton Rouge for my daughter and son-in-law, and would like some suggestions.

They will be moving to the area in July from Berkeley, CA, and he will be on faculty at LSU. They had originally wanted to live close to campus, but have decided they don't want the hassle of the football game-day traffic, etc.

They are 30 yrs. old, both very well educated, quite active in their current church and community, and very down-to-earth. Good restaurants, places to run, and an active, welcoming Catholic parish will be important to them. A home with character would be great; I believe their budget will be around $250,000. I was told about St. Francisville, but the commute would likely be more than SIL will want to deal with (I gather it's about 45 minutes from campus). All suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,186 times
Direct Message sent

Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 PM

24 posts, read 88,957 times
I know a lot of faculty live in the Riverbend area which is really close to LSU. And they don't have to worry about game day traffic as long as they don't go out of their house on game day. Just prepare ahead of time and you'll never know there's any traffic. Another area where a lot of professors live is collegetown (sp). It's also right by the university but the houses are on smaller lots and you don't get as much bang for the buck.

My wife is faculty at LSU and we currently live in Zachary, LA. It's quite a ride but we had to go for the best school district since we had a little one entering kindergarten. We may move into Baton Rouge in the next year or two but for now Zachary is a nice area and town.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homoudont View Post
I know a lot of faculty live in the Riverbend area which is really close to LSU. And they don't have to worry about game day traffic as long as they don't go out of their house on game day. Just prepare ahead of time and you'll never know there's any traffic. Another area where a lot of professors live is collegetown (sp). It's also right by the university but the houses are on smaller lots and you don't get as much bang for the buck.

My wife is faculty at LSU and we currently live in Zachary, LA. It's quite a ride but we had to go for the best school district since we had a little one entering kindergarten. We may move into Baton Rouge in the next year or two but for now Zachary is a nice area and town.

I was looking at listings for some homes for sale in the Zachary area. How long does it take your wife to get to campus?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemom52 View Post
I will be doing some scouting out of areas near Baton Rouge for my daughter and son-in-law, and would like some suggestions.

They will be moving to the area in July from Berkeley, CA, and he will be on faculty at LSU. They had originally wanted to live close to campus, but have decided they don't want the hassle of the football game-day traffic, etc.
This is only an issue if you live between LSU and Lee Dr/College. Riverbend is not really an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemom52 View Post
They are 30 yrs. old, both very well educated, quite active in their current church and community, and very down-to-earth. Good restaurants, places to run, and an active, welcoming Catholic parish will be important to them. A home with character would be great; I believe their budget will be around $250,000. I was told about St. Francisville, but the commute would likely be more than SIL will want to deal with (I gather it's about 45 minutes from campus). All suggestions welcome!
St Francisville, depending on the subdivision, would be more than 45 minutes, esp with traffic. Depending on whether schools are the issue (I'll assume not for sake of discussion), I like:

(1) Concord Estates (integrated, upper middle income to upper neighborhood)
(2) Peggy Drive off Moss Side Lane
(3) Kenilworth
(4) Pollard Estates
(5) Woodchase (next to Pollard, may be more than 250K, though)
(6) Plantation Trace, with the caveat that Game Day traffic is less than a joy, since this neighborhood can only exit through Highland near campus
(7) Riverbend - big caveat, though - this neighborhood is ONLY convenient for LSU and downtown. Not a ton of good retail out there, and with students nearby, that messes up home resale values. Plus, there were issues with sandboils and/or seepage when the Miss river is nearby.

Anyway, these are fairly close to LSU and aren't prohibitively expensive for what you get.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM

96 posts, read 338,360 times
We did the same move a few years ago. We looked at Riverbend and for the price range that is probably the newest and affordable subdivision for faculty in the area. The others in the price range are probably Fairhill at Bluebonnet and its sister sub across the street. College town, southdowns, etc. are nice and affordable but homes are way older. We settled for a home off of highland rd but moved last year. At peak traffic the communte to LSU was close to 30min from highland/I-10.

I know people who claim they have no problem living in Denham or Zachary, but I think that communte is crazy. No way we could deal with 2 hrs lost in a day just driving to work.

Don't rule out subdivisions further south (e.g., Jamestown on Perkins and Pecue ln) since they have easy access to Burbank and once there it is a straight shot to LSU; or places around Corporate Blvd, although these are either more expensive or very old homes.

Hope you can find a nice place...

Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,486 times
Riverbend is a logical option. If you dont mind older established neighborhoods theres some great living around the old goodwood area as well as Tara subdivision. If you dont mind smaller, old bungalows then the Garden District is for you. Lots of professors live in the Garden District. A lot of the ones with a higher budgets and families live in Southdowns because of the larger lots.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
The Garden District might be a really good option for them.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,233 times
Is the size and age of the house important? Would you prefer a condo or a single family house? Do you want a big lawn or do you have better things to do with your time? Similarly, with the price of gasoline soon to be nearing $5, do you want to spend a lot of time and money commuting to and from work?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Thanks for all the good info. SIL (the incoming LSU faculty member) looked at a few places while in town for a meeting a month ago. He has decided he'd rather not face a long commute, though my daughter is interested in a great house we had seen in Shenandoah.

Kenilworth is a neighborhood that has been mentioned to them by other faculty members; they were told that homes often are under contract before they even have a chance to formally hit the market, and that May is a good time to look seriously. They have a house-hunting trip planned then, and are doing lots of research long-distance in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge