Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a job here and have been contacted for an interview and have already been sent a packet to get my background started.

Looking around online I'm dismayed at all the bad things I'm hearing (I always thought living in BR would be nice since it's the capital)- the only thing that really scares me is how racist people are saying the area is. I'm of middle eastern descent and my husband is white. My husband suffers from MS and I just worry that we might have issues and stress is just not good for him. My friends say we will have issues because my husband is white.

I'm scared to spend my money to go and interview and check it out and wind up hating the area and possibly putting my husband in a stressful environment.

I need honest answers here- is it even worth it to go interview? Is it that bad? The way people are talking they make me feel like I won't even be able to go grocery shopping without being harassed.

Thank you for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I recently applied for a job here and have been contacted for an interview and have already been sent a packet to get my background started.

Looking around online I'm dismayed at all the bad things I'm hearing (I always thought living in BR would be nice since it's the capital)- the only thing that really scares me is how racist people are saying the area is. I'm of middle eastern descent and my husband is white. My husband suffers from MS and I just worry that we might have issues and stress is just not good for him. My friends say we will have issues because my husband is white.

I'm scared to spend my money to go and interview and check it out and wind up hating the area and possibly putting my husband in a stressful environment.

I need honest answers here- is it even worth it to go interview? Is it that bad? The way people are talking they make me feel like I won't even be able to go grocery shopping without being harassed.

Thank you for any responses.
Don't believe all the negativity. You have people who like to come here and rant about every perceived shortcoming of the town. Whatever perceived shoercoming there is here is probably even more present in the other "perfect" places to live.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
When you read those things , notice where they are from . That should explain it .

Old 01-08-2011, 06:06 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
When you read those things , notice where they are from . That should explain it .
It does. Thing is, outsiders read this stuff and they mistakenly think BR is this hellhole. So that's why I (and I hope other locals do, as well) want to put a realistic perspective on things.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,796 times
This is the reason I get so impatient with all the "racism" nonsense puked about here. Sure, it exists, but, come on!!! Baton Rouge is a large and diverse city which is hardly a stranger to the, "so called", non-traditional family.

beera, please ignore the anecdotal chatter declaring Baton Rouge as the equivalent to Damascus. You and husband will do just fine in Baton Rouge. I'm confident that you will make lifelong friends there.

Best of luck, and welcome!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Thank you. You don't know how re-assuring that is. I mean I know racism exists but when people say it's to the point where people will be flashing guns at us and giving us crap when we go out that freaks me out.

We are two quiet people, we aren't late night partyers, etc, we just want to live our lives without feeling persecuted because we are white. I know that sounds silly but when people say "you are going to get crap cuz you aren't black" I have to wonder what is going on with that. I'm from Southen California area and all my friends are from so many different backgrounds and cultures so I'm not used to anything like what I'm hearing.

Last edited by beera; 01-09-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 15,895 times
beera, in my opinion I think you will be completely fine. I grew up in southern california and have been here for 7 months now I have never seen any of these extremist racist stories that have been put up. I'm not saying that these people are lying or that it doesn't happen but crazy incidents happen anywhere, I personally have never encountered it here. I don't live in the "ghetto" but I'm not in a rich area either and everyone has been more than nice to me. My mom and my step dad have came to visit me on several occasions and she is full blooded mexican and he's a tall southern white guy and they have never had any issues, nor have I being from mixed decent.
It of course is different than LA, and you can say it is not as diverse especially since I grew up in a predominantly asian community and well Los Angeles really has just about any culture you can possibly think of but you still see a mix here and will find little neighborhoods with an authentic asian market or a small taco restaurant that taste just like any good taco i've had in LA or mexico for that matter. So if I were you I would give it a try. Like any city it has bland and bad neighborhoods then others that are full of beautiful oak trees and southern louisiana charm. You just have to take your chances and look around, any new city is something to contemplate for awhile. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,650 times
Hope that you are happy living here and welcome! I live in a neighborhood that is pretty diverse and I love it! It is really neat to see how different Baton Rouge is now. I think it may have to do with post katrina "refugees". A lot of them were not Caucasian and moved here and now I feel BR is pretty diverse. I cannot imagine that you would have lots os issues here, I know that I don't bat an eye with a mixed couple-so what?? If they are happy, that is great! Anyway, best to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge