Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 21,722 times

Advertisements

I was in Monroe, La and raised in Lake Providence La and today I am speaking in reference to things that I hear constantly not being taken care of in this small rural area. We all understand that this community is very poor and the people here don't have jobs and other resources that will actually help the people and if there is resources which I have heard out there but the people don't always be informed of there options in this town sometimes its all about who you know and the elected officials in office does nothing to reach out to help the community better themselves. If so would someone please inform me so I can pass it down, my relatives stilll reside there and it is just sad everytime I get a phone call it is nothing good now I recently recieved a phone call about one of the grocery stores closing WHY? They only have two grocery stories, and they both are on opposites sides of the town. So this will put individuals out of a job that are trying to work and not only that but the inconvience for people that don't have transportation. Could someone tell me if the elected officials in office is trying to seek assistance to help Jong's out with continue to keep the business going for the community or have they contacted government officials?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM

595 posts, read 1,173,503 times
I know of Lake Providence You are right there is not much there and what is, maybe You should run for office and try to make something happend .

Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngenerat View Post
I was in Monroe, La and raised in Lake Providence La and today I am speaking in reference to things that I hear constantly not being taken care of in this small rural area. We all understand that this community is very poor and the people here don't have jobs and other resources that will actually help the people and if there is resources which I have heard out there but the people don't always be informed of there options in this town sometimes its all about who you know and the elected officials in office does nothing to reach out to help the community better themselves. If so would someone please inform me so I can pass it down, my relatives stilll reside there and it is just sad everytime I get a phone call it is nothing good now I recently recieved a phone call about one of the grocery stores closing WHY? They only have two grocery stories, and they both are on opposites sides of the town. So this will put individuals out of a job that are trying to work and not only that but the inconvience for people that don't have transportation. Could someone tell me if the elected officials in office is trying to seek assistance to help Jong's out with continue to keep the business going for the community or have they contacted government officials?
Do you know what a run-on sentance is?

Nvm, I'll get serious. Lake Providence is very depressing to me. I've been through that area a few times and I think the condition it is in is terrible. What gives?

I understand that it is an insanely poor area, but poor people still need places to buy groceries and things of that nature.

I won't pretend to know a whole lot about the social system or politics in that parish, but what I do know sounds like this: The vast majority of people are poor African-Americans with no power, and they are ruled by an overclass of extremely wealthy landowners who essentially "run the show". I hear that this overclass still employ blacks inside their homes on a daily basis for things like cooking and cleaning and child-care. To put this in perspective, I haven't known anyone with a live in servant (nurses excluded) since my grandmother passed away in the early 80's.

To me it seems like a throw back place.

If I've ever seen a place stuck in the 1950's, it is Lake Providence.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 PM

If I was at that age where I could retire, sure I would run for office but am on my journey that the Lord intended me to be on at this time. Thank God for revealing it to me to work on this project so that I can make a difference in the community. This is my roots and am not just talking and not doing anything for the community, I must say I will never forget where I came from. So am praying for a blessing for a big improvement once it is completed. Thank you for the advising me to run for office. God Bless!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Do you know what a run-on sentance is?

Nvm, I'll get serious. Lake Providence is very depressing to me. I've been through that area a few times and I think the condition it is in is terrible. What gives?

I understand that it is an insanely poor area, but poor people still need places to buy groceries and things of that nature.

I won't pretend to know a whole lot about the social system or politics in that parish, but what I do know sounds like this: The vast majority of people are poor African-Americans with no power, and they are ruled by an overclass of extremely wealthy landowners who essentially "run the show". I hear that this overclass still employ blacks inside their homes on a daily basis for things like cooking and cleaning and child-care. To put this in perspective, I haven't known anyone with a live in servant (nurses excluded) since my grandmother passed away in the early 80's.

To me it seems like a throw back place.

If I've ever seen a place stuck in the 1950's, it is Lake Providence.
Well I don't know about live in servants, my grandmother did that for many many years and that is how she supported the family am proud of my roots because they made me who I am today. We grew up on the Plantation so if they are what can anyone say there are no jobs and if it is the only way to support your family then so be it. Let's make a difference.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 AM

217 posts, read 573,490 times
I've only been through Lake Providence once, on my way back from Arkansas. The only thing I saw of it was pretty lake houses. I wondered why everyone at the gas station looked at me a little funny, but I'd gotten used to that due to my out of state plates. However, I do have trouble believing it's the poorest city out there, cause I've been in far worse. Do you have a source?

Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngenerat View Post
Well I don't know about live in servants, my grandmother did that for many many years and that is how she supported the family am proud of my roots because they made me who I am today. We grew up on the Plantation so if they are what can anyone say there are no jobs and if it is the only way to support your family then so be it. Let's make a difference.
Don't misconstrue my message. It's not that there is any shame in working as a maid, the point is, this shows that there is a disturbing lack of oppertunity.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers2010 View Post
I've only been through Lake Providence once, on my way back from Arkansas. The only thing I saw of it was pretty lake houses. I wondered why everyone at the gas station looked at me a little funny, but I'd gotten used to that due to my out of state plates. However, I do have trouble believing it's the poorest city out there, cause I've been in far worse. Do you have a source?
Well am sure there are some places far worser than LP or about the same. But I guess the reason for it being considered the poorest, goes back to when LP high school was burned and there were some issues posted in the New York Times article about teenage pregnacy and other topic related to LP awhile back. I tried contact the state capital officials on assistance for some of my relatives and the info. they gave me fell back on the individuals in office there, which led me to the conclusion that the officials in office where not doing what they suppose to do to help the people in town now this was a while back so as of today I don't know what the elected officials in office are doing. They have to be the ones to reach out to different agencies that are willing to help the town. If they refuse the assistance then they get no assistance. And at that particular time that is what happen. Now a state representative in Baton Rouge informed me of different grants that were available to the town. It is up to the officials to pursue getting the funds that are offered. At the Beginning of each year.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,987 times
Yes, Lake Providence is proverty stricken and the lack of elected official working on getting funding for improvements is ludicrous. I am from Lake Providence, now residing in Atlanta; in my opinion Lake Providence has the potential to be a beautiful retirement community, however the elected officials, and citizens has to realize what they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge