U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 19,964 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the good info and thank you things and stuff about Central! I will check out this area as well. Any tips on finding a nice rental home in this area or would it be more beneficial just to drive through the neighborhoods?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,044,449 times
I live in Central , the only reason I didn't jump in was because rental property is pretty scarce here . I'm sure there is some , but I wouldn't know where to look except in the local newspaper .

Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM

17 posts, read 35,251 times
I live in Denham Springs and have a neighbor with an older (14-15 year-old) autistic child. She goes to an autistic classroom at Denham Springs Junior High school. The schools in Livingston Parish are suppose to be good ones. I homeschool my kids, so I can't give you firsthand information in that. However, I would also give a recommendation to the Central area. We are less than 10 minutes from Central, go to church in Central, and have many friends who live in the area. I tutor a boy from Central High and have been impressed with their website and how up-to-date they keep the information and grades on each child. The Central area schools have a reputation for being very good.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 19,964 times
Thanks CajunStamper for the info! I sent you a PM!!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 AM

17 posts, read 63,551 times
I would say that the Prairieville/Dutchtown/Geismar area would be best. For info on schools, you may want to check out www.greatschools.org as this is where I send most of my clients who put empahsis on schools. Also, the ascension parish school board website has a search query by address for determining which school district you would be in. Depending upon where at in Prairieville you live, there is a Walmart on airline hwy, the Tanger outlets are right off I-10 and major shopping is only 8-10 miles with a slew of entertainment (Bluebonnet exit).

I understand you will be moving in may but for what its worth, I will have a vacancy in one of my personal homes that I own in the Duthtown school district beginning around September. DM me for further information. You are correct, rentals are hard to find in that area.

My wife has family in Lafayette and I've seen traffic on a Saturday over there. Good luck on your move.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 PM

101 posts, read 279,166 times
You can't go wrong with Denham Springs/Live Oak

I don't know about the junior high but St. Gerard Majella Elementary school/Redemptorist High school located off of Plank Road has one of the best special needs classes.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 AM

717 posts, read 1,141,545 times
What's up with all the crime in denham springs??

Old 12-19-2011, 08:03 PM

101 posts, read 279,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
The same as all the crime in Baton Rouge and New Orleans for that matter.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,044,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Bad people do bad things . Thats how it works .

Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 AM

6 posts, read 9,394 times
I have lived in Plaquemine, Galvez/Gonzales, Prairieville, Baton Rouge, Baker, Denham Springs and now Walker. Ascension Parish on the Gonzales/Prairieville side tends to be more expensive in regards to housing. Lots of it is low and floods. Baton Rouge is where you are going to do most of your shopping if you live in any of these areas. Gonzales does have the Tanger Outlet Mall, but I have rarely found the outlet prices to be better than regular retail sales/specials. I love living in Livingston Parish. I moved out here in '98 and it has lost some of it's small town appeal since then due to traffic issues.(going west in AM is a nightmare as is going east in PM). Livingston Parish is still best IMHO based on affordable housing, low crime, excellent public schools and "friendliness" of locals. I still have to shop for clothes, go to movies, and any entertainment in Baton Rouge. But, I really hate having to cross that river, and try and find what I need in Livingston Parish when I can. I would NEVER consider moving back to East Baton Rouge Parish. Central is nice, but over-rated, it's really just a suburb of Baton Rouge that sued for their independence. It's a nice area, don't get me wrong, but it's more like a neighborhood than a city. And the crime there is less than Baton Rouge but higher, IMO, than Livingston Parish. So, if you are thinking of relocating to the Baton Rouge area, I suggest looking in Livingston Parish north of Florida Blvd. I am a Baton Rouge native that transplanted here more than ten years ago and I would never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge