U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:50 AM

15,393 posts, read 22,922,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungenes View Post
I have lived in Plaquemine, Galvez/Gonzales, Prairieville, Baton Rouge, Baker, Denham Springs and now Walker. Ascension Parish on the Gonzales/Prairieville side tends to be more expensive in regards to housing. Lots of it is low and floods. Baton Rouge is where you are going to do most of your shopping if you live in any of these areas. Gonzales does have the Tanger Outlet Mall, but I have rarely found the outlet prices to be better than regular retail sales/specials. I love living in Livingston Parish. I moved out here in '98 and it has lost some of it's small town appeal since then due to traffic issues.(going west in AM is a nightmare as is going east in PM). Livingston Parish is still best IMHO based on affordable housing, low crime, excellent public schools and "friendliness" of locals. I still have to shop for clothes, go to movies, and any entertainment in Baton Rouge. But, I really hate having to cross that river, and try and find what I need in Livingston Parish when I can. I would NEVER consider moving back to East Baton Rouge Parish. Central is nice, but over-rated, it's really just a suburb of Baton Rouge that sued for their independence. It's a nice area, don't get me wrong, but it's more like a neighborhood than a city. And the crime there is less than Baton Rouge but higher, IMO, than Livingston Parish. So, if you are thinking of relocating to the Baton Rouge area, I suggest looking in Livingston Parish north of Florida Blvd. I am a Baton Rouge native that transplanted here more than ten years ago and I would never go back.
Crime rates are not an opinion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,904 times
Default Crime in Denham Springs

I'm a little confused about the crime rate reference. I saw the statistics and saw that it is rated as "high" (I'm sure that's per capita) but I've lived in big cities all of my life, so for me to see 1 murder in 10 years, that's really low. I think I saw 5 rapes in all of 2010. Wow. So can someone help me get a picture of what people mean when they say the crime rate is bad? I'm thinking of moving there and I want to know what I'm getting into. Is it that dangerous?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 PM

228 posts, read 406,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimana View Post
I'm a little confused about the crime rate reference. I saw the statistics and saw that it is rated as "high" (I'm sure that's per capita) but I've lived in big cities all of my life, so for me to see 1 murder in 10 years, that's really low. I think I saw 5 rapes in all of 2010. Wow. So can someone help me get a picture of what people mean when they say the crime rate is bad? I'm thinking of moving there and I want to know what I'm getting into. Is it that dangerous?

What you are asking for doesn't make sense. You want people to explain why they feel that certain sections of their hometown has a high crime rate compared to other cities bug and small? You're better off going to FBI.gov and doing some research. Or visit Baton Rouge and view the city.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM

15,393 posts, read 22,922,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimana View Post
Yes crime is bad, but like every city, it's in bad areas and likely happens to people involved.
We are all still alive..

Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,904 times
Thanks, Annie.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,152,442 times
If you work downtown, in mid-city, or in north baton rouge then Central gets my vote and it's not even close.

Much shorter commutes to these areas during rush-hour than livingston parish and prairieville. The key in Central is to live on the baton rouge side of Wax/Magnolia bridge road since that's where the traffic bottleneck is.

If you work in South Baton Rouge, then I'd go with Ascension Parish. Much shorter commute, but it'll cost a little more than Central. Denham Springs is the cheapest option but it has the worst infrastructure that is highly dependent upon the interstate. plus, its further away in general and has less quality.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,042,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
If you work downtown, in mid-city, or in north baton rouge then Central gets my vote and it's not even close.

Much shorter commutes to these areas during rush-hour than livingston parish and prairieville. The key in Central is to live on the baton rouge side of Wax/Magnolia bridge road since that's where the traffic bottleneck is.

If you work in South Baton Rouge, then I'd go with Ascension Parish. Much shorter commute, but it'll cost a little more than Central. Denham Springs is the cheapest option but it has the worst infrastructure that is highly dependent upon the interstate. plus, its further away in general and has less quality.
Agreed . The traffic getting in and out of Denham is horrendous even on a good day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge