U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 19,843 times

Advertisements

My hubby got a job transfer to BR and we are moving in May. He works the river on barges so it dosen't matter which area of BR we will move to. I have been looking for rental homes in both Denham Springs and Prarieville/Dutchtown. Looks like you can get a bigger house in Denham Springs for alot cheaper then Prairieville. There dosent seem to be alot of rentals in Prarieville either. My concern is the schools. I have a teen with Autism and a 1st grader and i really would like to know from someone who knows what are the best elementary and middle schools in both areas? Names of schools would be helpful as well so i can look into renting in a zoned neighborhood. Also, which town has more shopping and things to do...Gonzales or Denham Springs? Thanks to all who reply!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 AM

60 posts, read 45,656 times
I live in Denham Springs and have a daughter(10) in 4th grade. Shopping? Not in Denham, unless you can find everything you need at BassPro shop!
The schools are better than average all across the town but I must say the schools on the northern sections of Denham are better. Denham schools have very low tolerance to disruptive kids and will send them home very quickly, a quality I like.
The town's traffic is congested and morning/afternoon traffic is down right horrible.
But we plan to move in a couple of years and we plan to stay in Denham Spring.

FYI, we moved here about 12 years ago from Laplace La.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info. We are moving from Lafayette and traffic is a nightmare as well here! Is there a Wal-mart or Target? Is it always crowded? Do you have any experience with the Gonzales area?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 AM

15,299 posts, read 22,621,835 times
I lived in the Gonzales area for a while, shopping is OK but better stores are in Baton Rouge. All of the schools in Ascension Parish are great, ALL. There are rentals in Gonzales I believe since it's older but most homes in Prairieville are newer. Neither really have a variety of attractions, you're gonna go to Baton Rouge for that kind of stuff. I'm not too familiar with Denham/Livingston.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM

60 posts, read 45,656 times
I'm a little familiar with Gonzales but like annie_himself says, "shopping is OK but better stores are in Baton Rouge". The same with Denham Springs but, Denham Springs seems to be only 10-15 minutes from anywhere in the Baton Rouge. Yesterday we thought, "lets run into Baton Rouge to grab a bite from "Louie's", which is a rocks throw away from the University, 10-15 minute drive! The drawback to this is the drive home. East Baton Rouge and west Livingston parish have major interstate work and going east bound after 3:30 pm is hell! Whereas west bound traffic in Denham Springs after 6:30am is hell. I'll have a party when this is complete!
I shop at a Target off of Millerville (10 minutes away!) if I don't run to the Denham Springs Wally world, which I try not to (crowded).
I think we live close enough to BR to enjoy it yet far enough away to escape from the “City”.

But ask away, I’ll answer with my opinions to help you make a better choice!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Can you tell me about the Live Oak school district? Great schools?? What about Walker? How far from Denham Springs?? Good schools??

Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 PM

97 posts, read 264,794 times
Livingston Parish has great schools. Live Oak is in Watson which is located north of Denham Springs on Hwy. 16N. You can visit www.lpsb.org for more information regarding schools.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,133,040 times
I don't understand why Central is overlooked in this discussion. Central is just as safe, has just as good of schools, and is priced inbetween what you'd find in prairieville and denham springs.

The best thing about Central, if you work downtown or at the river docks is that the commute is significantly shorter from the baton rouge side of central than it is from denham springs and even prairieville. With DS and Pville there is too much dependence on the main arteries/interstate. If you live further out in Dutchtown then its just a terrible commute and if you live out in north denham then its a much longer commute.

To downtown during rush hour in the morning:

Denham Springs: 45-60 minutes and if theres a wreck on i-12 then add 20 minutes even if you take florida blvd.
Prairieville: 35-50 minutes and if there's a wreck on i-10 (common) then add 20 minutes.
Dutchtown: 40-55 minutes. Even more dependence on i-10 than pville.
BTR side of Central (bellingrath, triple B, joor rd, frenchtown rd): 25-35 minutes. Lots of options so wrecks are not as big of a problem. No interstate to depend on.
North Denham/Watson: 45-60 minutes. Strong dependence on magnolia bridge to get across the amite river.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 PM

15,299 posts, read 22,621,835 times
You can use Nicholson, I-10, and Airline to get to Prairieville or Dutchtown. I drove on I-10 daily from north downtown to Prairieville and I don't recall many wrecks. Although those commute times are right.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,133,040 times
I have lived in all of these areas so that's what I'm basing my commute times on. I rarely took the interstate from Prairieville but wrecks on the interstate caused more flow to be directed to nicholson and airline which affected commute times. Check out the DOTD traffic tweets. There's wrecks on the interstate that cause traffic problems 2 or 3 times a week. Some more than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge