U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,015 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are in early 40's w/3 schildren, ages 13 - 1 yrs old. We are both from Jackson, MS, but have lived several years in Roberts Cove, LA. Yesterday we went to BR see a house in Hickory Ridge, on Charring Way Ave. either zip of 70816/17. We don't know anything about BR. Based on what we saw in this area, we wonder if this neighborhood & some businesses near it, for example, might be moving towards another area growing? Brutal honesty needed RE: This area of BR now, based on best middle schools & safest neighborhoods. Prefer subd w/rent home near very good school district. My kids have attended small catholic school whole life, but we want to try public school??? Please give advise on this too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 PM

228 posts, read 402,950 times
you could give us a home price range so we can offer suggestions

Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM

15,192 posts, read 22,405,634 times
Shenedoah, or one of the newer, interconnected subdivisions like Green Trails. Woodlawn public schools are really good.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 PM

41 posts, read 142,177 times
Hi,
I live in Shenandoah and have for 25 years. I know Charing Way very well, have good friends who live on that street. Hickory Ridge is a very good neighborhood. Shenandoah Elem., where my daughter attended, is a blue ribbon school. She did very well there. She just finished the 8th grade at Woodlawn Middle and did well. Last year,Woodlawn Elem. was built and looks like a nice school. There have been a lot of road improvements in this area and some new restaurants. I like it here. Walmart, the mall, drug stores...everything is so nearby, doctors and dentists too so you could get most of what you need without even getting on the interstate.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,610 times
I used to live in Shenandoah. It's a great neighborhood. My kids had tons of friends around. The school is alright. My kids weren't challenged much and we ended up going private after a year, but it's not a bad school. The area is great though. Everything is close.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,809 times
Good luck with Zachary or Central as mainly zookeepers work elsewhere. To be honest and frank, teach in one of the gazillion private schools... The public schools have long been dead in This area... You may sacrifice better retirement but will get what our public schools once were - decent children showing up to learn and curriculum followed. Unless you are fortunate to get into one of the few decent public schools, you will be miserable with those misfit criminal minds of the present
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge