Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,830 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are contemplating a move to the Baton Rouge area. He will be working around Geismar. Where do we look for desirable neighborhoods not over 30 minutes from husband's work? A little bit about us: We are in our early 50s and our children have moved on, so school districts are (finally - Yeah!) not a priority. I've worked in education, but will probably not work if we do decide to move. We love hiking, wildlife, history, etc. We have lived in small town south Georgia on and off for a long time, so some of the "southern stuff" others have found objectionable is not necessarily foreign to us. I would greatly appreciate ANY help possible. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM

228 posts, read 444,416 times
Look in the following cities on Zillow.com:
- Dutchtown (70734 zip code) (nicest suburb that's closest to Geismar)
- Prairieville (70769 zip)

These are safer, white, quiet parts of Ascension parish located a few miles south of Baton Rouge. These are booming with new residences so traffic is rough in the mornings but it's not THAT bad.

BTW if you private message me the home price range I can help give some specific neighborhood suggestions.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:40 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficsucks View Post
Look in the following cities on Zillow.com:
- Dutchtown (70734 zip code) (nicest suburb that's closest to Geismar)
- Prairieville (70769 zip)

These are safer, white, quiet parts of Ascension parish located a few miles south of Baton Rouge. These are booming with new residences so traffic is rough in the mornings but it's not THAT bad.
There's actually an older black population in Ascension parish.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's actually an older black population in Ascension parish.
In Dutchtown and Prairieville, the two towns I named, they are overwhelmingly white, safe and quiet.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:06 PM

I spent years around those families. Check older parts of Geismar/Dutchtown and Prairieville.

I don't think I mentioned safety in relation to a small black population.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Excuse me, I had to correct your interpretation of Prairieville and Dutchtown as white towns.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM

101 posts, read 261,364 times
kmp983 - Welcome to Baton Rouge.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficsucks View Post
I read in another thread that someone said you don't live in Baton Rouge so I'm not surprised that you don't know what you're wrong. I'd suggest you also look up the census figures if you think Prairieville isn't white.
I would advise you not to assume. I went to Prairieville Middle and graduated from Dutchtown High.

However, Dutchtown and Prairieville are fast growing suburbs of Baton Rouge. There's not much for hiking in the direct area. You are close to south Baton Rouge which has majority of the shopping and dining. You also have the benefit of being closer to New Orleans without having to travel through the city. The area is a pretty typical growing suburb, traffic from work ours, new subdivisions popping up, etc. There are decent amenities in nearby Gonzales to avoid going to the city so much. We are the sportsmans paradise so hunting and fishing is excellent.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Try Spanish Lakes, a NEW subdivision on Highway 30 about seven miles north of Geismar. It has a number of advantages, among them are:

1. It's a gated community with a mere $400 annual homeowners fee.

2. It is situated so that there will be no unwanted construction near it.

3. Houses start below $200K

Spanish Lakes Subdivision St Gabriel Louisiana

Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Try Spanish Lakes, a NEW subdivision on Highway 30 about seven miles north of Geismar. It has a number of advantages, among them are:

1. It's a gated community with a mere $400 annual homeowners fee.

2. It is situated so that there will be no unwanted construction near it.

3. Houses start below $200K

Spanish Lakes Subdivision St Gabriel Louisiana
You forgot to mention the mens and womens prisons that are less than 2 miles away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge