Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM

494 posts, read 1,605,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers2010 View Post
I was born and raised in a high-end suburb 20 minutes outside of New York City, so I know what city life and culture is like. I met a man who was from Louisiana and took a trip to meet his family and I absolutely fell in love with the state. It is so unique; really no place can compare! I ended up moving to Baton Rouge about a year later and loved every second that I spent in Louisiana. There are tons of things to do, but just like anywhere else, sometimes you need to put a little effort into finding them. Shopping is great, traffic is bad (I'll give them that), schools are hit or miss just as they are everywhere (you can find decent public schools, BRHS for instance), and yes, crime is high, but what most people don't understand about crime is that CRIME ISN'T RANDOM! If you are a law abiding citizen and keep away from the drug trade, you will likely be just fine! The majority of the violent crime in BR and elsewhere is merely the thugs killing each other off over turf struggles or over a respect issue. I am a single woman in my mid-20s and I never felt threatened when I lived in BR. I worked at OLOL and wouldn't leave work til 3:30am some nights, and even while traveling so late at night, I never encountered a problem.

I had to move after 3 years of living in Louisiana (for medical reasons), but I am looking forward to moving back (to the New Orleans area) sometime next year. I miss it tremendously!
Yes, BRHS is one of the bright spots in EBR school district that I mentioned. It's considered one of the better high schools in the state by far. Speaking as an alumni!

Also, I agree that BR is what you make of it, but I'd also that if you are a young professional it's not a good city for that demographic at all both in terms of entertainment options and jobs. NY and NO are definitely better options with respect to both. So really, as I said, it kinda depends on the situation that you are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM

974 posts, read 2,174,486 times
Did a happy hour with a local attorney and his wife, both of whom are from Louisiana and LSU grads. While they are loyal Louisianians, I was really surprised when they expressed a sincere desire to leave their home state. Apparently they've had it with the political work of our current governor, Bobby Jindal. I'm more than familiar with what Boy Jindal has been doing for Louisiana but to hear from what I felt were "Louisiana / LSU Die-Hards" express their displeasure at what's going on in Red Stick with the Jindal administration, I was quite surprised really. Wasn't too long ago when these folks would listen politely to my observations and shrug it off. But it seems that those who are more connected to the political processes and get to breathe the rarified air of statehouse discussions; seems things aren't very pretty and won't be should some of Mr. Jindal's wishes come true. And the sad thing is most people are too indifferent or ignorant to care.

Seems like we live in two Louisianas: the cultural and historically rich state with good eatin' & drinkin' and plenty of nature and the good ol' boy state of Kingfish political practices. Brother Earl must be smilin' in his grave.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,328,707 times
BeenThereDonethat: you described why I can't stomach living in Louisiana. The corruption is getting more and more organized and cohesive. It's a total spoils system where dissenters are investigated or punished.

I have a small IT consulting firm. It was bad enough when we lost a state bid only to have the winner have a higher bid and sub us to do the actual work. We are getting undercut by politically connected people who get "economic development" tax credits. my tax dollars pays 30-35% of their expenses.

We applied for the same subsidies but were told we weren't "big enough."

ugh.

local politicians who do the governors bidding are immune from ethics investigations. they're looting at will.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM

974 posts, read 2,174,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
BeenThereDonethat: you described why I can't stomach living in Louisiana. The corruption is getting more and more organized and cohesive. It's a total spoils system where dissenters are investigated or punished.

I have a small IT consulting firm. It was bad enough when we lost a state bid only to have the winner have a higher bid and sub us to do the actual work. We are getting undercut by politically connected people who get "economic development" tax credits. my tax dollars pays 30-35% of their expenses.

We applied for the same subsidies but were told we weren't "big enough." ugh.

local politicians who do the governors bidding are immune from ethics investigations. they're looting at will.
This is a big issue for Louisiana. Gov. Jindal made "ethics reform & transparency" a big campaign pitch but since he's been governor, the ethics board has:
1. No investigators (due supposedly to budget cuts to that office specifically) So complaints go uninvestigated and not prosecuted.
2. Person in charge of the Ethics Adjudication Board answers ONLY to the GOVERNOR ( anyone else see a problem with this?)
3. Disclosure & Transparency only seem to apply to anyone who is not affiliated with the Governor.

I could go on and on and on.... it's really amazing and yet those who voted for Jindal don't seem to see the problem with it. Truly amazing.

Look...every state has its problems of corruption , cronyism, ethics violations; but this approach masked under a republican administration seems hell-bent on ignoring things on purpose for the sake of their own interests; forget ethics, forget real reform.... just keep confusing the populace with an ultra-conservative message while undermining any chances at real reform. It's purely partisan politics and cronyism....Jindal's trying to use Louisiana as a stepping stone for the GOP conservative leadership and get anointed for a run for the Whitehouse in 2016....but at the expense of Louisiana and its people. Sad...sad... sad.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM

494 posts, read 1,605,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Did a happy hour with a local attorney and his wife, both of whom are from Louisiana and LSU grads. While they are loyal Louisianians, I was really surprised when they expressed a sincere desire to leave their home state. Apparently they've had it with the political work of our current governor, Bobby Jindal. I'm more than familiar with what Boy Jindal has been doing for Louisiana but to hear from what I felt were "Louisiana / LSU Die-Hards" express their displeasure at what's going on in Red Stick with the Jindal administration, I was quite surprised really. Wasn't too long ago when these folks would listen politely to my observations and shrug it off. But it seems that those who are more connected to the political processes and get to breathe the rarified air of statehouse discussions; seems things aren't very pretty and won't be should some of Mr. Jindal's wishes come true. And the sad thing is most people are too indifferent or ignorant to care.

Seems like we live in two Louisianas: the cultural and historically rich state with good eatin' & drinkin' and plenty of nature and the good ol' boy state of Kingfish political practices. Brother Earl must be smilin' in his grave.
I'm a LSU grad as well, both parents worked for the state, and when I was a student worker for the state in school. So yea, you can say I'm very close to that state process and inefficiency. I've seen more than I've wanted to see or hear. I think what got to me more than anything though is that I was at LSU when Jindal starting messing around with the higher education budget, lot's of people, including myself, couldn't graduate on time as a result due to curriculum changes due to budget. For me, this meant, I had to pay more out of my pocket for college as well cause my tops ran out... So yea....

I like this state. I've traveled quite a bit since growing up here, and all honestly, I can never really hate Baton Rouge or the state. It will forever be my home, but it's neither is no longer ideal for me. Will always feel like home, but it's definitely not a place I can see myself staying long-term where everything is going. Just isn't for me.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM

29,792 posts, read 18,658,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post

Louisiana has had severe problems with corruption, horrible crime, poor public schools and low pay long before Jindal came to office. I know Jindal is divisive becasue my family is divided between those that love what he's doing and those that loathe him. But it's undeniable that the Louisiana economy is improving in comparison to the rest of the nation with much lower unemployment than most states and faster average income growth.

I grew up in South Louisiana but left after graduating LSU and lived in Texas, Oregon and now Washington state and have never returned except for family visits. I still love cajun food (Making gumbo this weekend), my Tigers, and the friendly and celebratory culture that is so prevalent in south Louisiana. I know that to move back, I will have to accept some negatives such as high crime and traditionally lower pay to counteract the things I love about Louisiana.

If you want to escape

Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
Default Really?

mod cut

Now back to the purpose of the thread:
I have a possible job offer coming in which I would work throughout Southern Loisisiana (Lafayette to New Orleans), and office out of Baton Rouge. I am not sure if officing in New Orleans or Lafeyette is an option, but could be...

So my concern is that I now live in North Georgia, and the schools are great, and it is a beautiful area. I have also lived in East Texas and would visit Lousiana a lot, and enjoy the culture, food, etc.... BUT... My concern is the quality of life for my kids (i.e. schools, safety, etc).

With this job, I can put my kids in a private school, if there are good ones down there. Any other concerns I need to be made aware of.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-09-2014 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,108,879 times
Not sure why you dug up this thread but do you have specific concerns? There are good private schools and public schools, and safety depends on your neighborhood. It's like any other city.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,852,715 times
mod cut

It might be easier to get responses if you start a new thread asking your questions.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-11-2014 at 05:12 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM

65 posts, read 111,524 times
mod cut

If you live outside the city limits in Lafayette or Baton Rouge and are selctive where you buy or rent, safety shouldn't be a problem. I would however send the kids to a nice private school as the public schools leave quite a bit to be desired IMO.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-11-2014 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge