U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM

53 posts, read 83,427 times

Advertisements

1.PLan and fund regional Bus and or Light Rail system.
2. Dump the Loop and Make Airline and Florida Cross Town freeways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 PM

15,379 posts, read 22,904,221 times
I would suggest streetcar over light rail. It's cheaper, easier to grasp, and did I mention cheaper. It will likely never be regional unless we get fed money for rail to NOLA and maybe Houston. Hardly anyone is behind CATS.

What would you do about the intersections and stop lights on Airline? Florida would be easier since it has feeder (oops, service) roads. Lets not stop there, because these will be just as clogged in the coming years. They need to adopt a plan to add capacity to the overall grid. Things like the Pecue/Stumberg construction, and the Pecue and I-10 plans.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,800,616 times
Looking at Baton Rouge on Google Maps, they obviously set room aside for something because you can see where they left a good chunk of ROW available on both sides of Airline from I-12 up to I-110.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,367,217 times
I don't really want to see Florida Boulevard become an expressway. I think that putting an expressway through there could would derail the revitalization of mid-city--plus it goes against the latest comprehensive city plan.

In the orginial urban interstate highway plan in the 1950s, Airline Highway through BR was to become Interstate 410. The plan was cancelled in the late 1960's.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Looking at Baton Rouge on Google Maps, they obviously set room aside for something because you can see where they left a good chunk of ROW available on both sides of Airline from I-12 up to I-110.
Near I-110 it has service roads. North of I-12 I don't see it as being that much room for proper exits and service roads. The most congested part is heading south to Ascension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I don't really want to see Florida Boulevard become an expressway. I think that putting an expressway through there could would derail the revitalization of mid-city--plus it goes against the latest comprehensive city plan.

In the orginial urban interstate highway plan in the 1950s, Airline Highway through BR was to become Interstate 410. The plan was cancelled in the late 1960's.
Florida east of Wooddale or Airline needs it. It's impossible the further west you go. Also, there wouldn't be anything new, just some changes.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Near I-110 it has service roads. North of I-12 I don't see it as being that much room for proper exits and service roads. The most congested part is heading south to Ascension.

Florida east of Wooddale or Airline needs it. It's impossible the further west you go. Also, there wouldn't be anything new, just some changes.
I'm sorry, I just don't see it adding benefit to anyone, except maybe for people in Denham Springs who commute into BR. Otherwise, I think it would hurt neigborhoods in the city and serve to further divide the city. Maybe expand the current road to 6 lanes in the section east of Airline, but I really don't think any of it would work well as a controlled-access highway. That's just my humble opinion.

What I would like to see out on Florida is better, safer pedestrian crossings. I'm tired about pedestrians getting run over because there are no good places to cross the street.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM

49,943 posts, read 53,081,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keta_mae View Post
1.PLan and fund regional Bus and or Light Rail system.
This usually means taxes. You ready for that?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I'm sorry, I just don't see it adding benefit to anyone, except maybe for people in Denham Springs who commute into BR. Otherwise, I think it would hurt neigborhoods in the city and serve to further divide the city. Maybe expand the current road to 6 lanes in the section east of Airline, but I really don't think any of it would work well as a controlled-access highway. That's just my humble opinion.

What I would like to see out on Florida is better, safer pedestrian crossings. I'm tired about pedestrians getting run over because there are no good places to cross the street.
Widening I-10 doesn't benefit anyone but the folks going home after work. Same for I-12. If it was done in order to replace the loop, I'm sure it would help traffic.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Widening I-10 doesn't benefit anyone but the folks going home after work. Same for I-12. If it was done in order to replace the loop, I'm sure it would help traffic.
I thought we were talking about Florida Boulevard?

Anyway, turning Florida into an expressway would benefit the exact same commuters the I-12 widening benefits.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:44 PM

We are. Are you opposed to wideningnI-12?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge