U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,848 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm hoping for some help&advice regarding a possible move to Baton Rouge from the UK.

My husband has an interview for a faculty position at LSU at the end of March.
We are a young family, with 2 boys aged 5yrs and 2yrs. I am a teacher.
While he's in Baton Rouge, he'll have 2 days for sightseeing/looking around the city. I'd really appreciate some advice on neighbourhoods to visit. With 2 small kids a safe neighbourhood with good schools&parks is important. We'd prefer to be in the city as opposed to out in the suburbs as right now we live in Glasgow city, about 4 miles from his campus and he runs or cycles. We both drive and have a car but we don't use it much, I walk our kids to school/nursery/park etc. So I would say 'walkability' in important too.

Areas outside Baton Rouge are often mentioned as having the best schools but living in the suburbs with even a 20-30min commute doesn't really appeal to us and traffic sounds like it can be bad too. Where are the best schools in the city?

I've read through previous posts and there's lots of information already but some up-to-date advice would be very useful.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM

358 posts, read 651,933 times
Well for convenience you should look at areas around University Lake. From there search north up the Acadian Thruway or southeast along Highland Rd. Not sure about schools. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,540,880 times
You can check schools on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link). They compare schools within a particular state to one another. You are going to face a huge climate change. La. is hot, humid, and just uncomfortable from roughly mid-May until the first of Oct. Frequent rains followed by steam rising from the ground/pavement. Not conducive to much walking or bicycling.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 PM

228 posts, read 403,510 times
For starters you can give us a home/rent price range so we can narrow down our suggestions. You can private message it to me if you prefer.

Secondly, biking in Baton Rouge is not fun nor advised. This is a driving first town. The bus system is unreliable, nor is there wide enough lanes for biking. Not to mention the heat and humidity in the summer.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM

5 posts, read 10,848 times
mouzon - thanks for that.

SouthernBelle - thanks for the schools website.

Trafficsucks - I have no real idea about the local rental/housing market but looking at a couple of real-estate websites, I would guess upto $1500pcm or 250K. I've been through previous threads and got a few areas/neighbourhoods now.

With regard to the climate, we are well aware it would be a huge change from Scotland but we lived in Japan for 2 years before we had kids where we had very hot humid summers. We were back there for 6 months in 2011 over the summer with our kids, staying in an university apartment without air-con...we're pretty adaptable!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,815 times
I have too kids of my own that are around that age (3 and 5) so as far as public schools in baton rouge it varies i would suggest looking into some private schools in the area if it's afforable in my case it's not so i had to do a little give and take on the school that my child attends one of the best public schools is the dufrocq school but its a huge inconvince to get to that side of town even if your child is accepted my daugther will attend audubon elementary next year which is in our area old jefferson tiger bend unless she is accepted to baton rouge center for visual and performing arts so the public school system is ok if your child attends the right school

also some nighborhoods have parks thats ok to walk to you can check BREC.org this is the website that manages the park system in baton rouge so you can search for a nieghborhood that has a park in walking distance

as a good rule of thumb for safe living areas stay away from anything north of florida blvd also anything between the north gates of lsu and downtown

Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 PM

228 posts, read 403,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBB View Post
mouzon - thanks for that.

SouthernBelle - thanks for the schools website.

Trafficsucks - I have no real idea about the local rental/housing market but looking at a couple of real-estate websites, I would guess upto $1500pcm or 250K. I've been through previous threads and got a few areas/neighbourhoods now.

With regard to the climate, we are well aware it would be a huge change from Scotland but we lived in Japan for 2 years before we had kids where we had very hot humid summers. We were back there for 6 months in 2011 over the summer with our kids, staying in an university apartment without air-con...we're pretty adaptable!
You can get a nice house in Prairieville for $250k. Better schools, safer neighborhoods and lower taxes. The downside is the commute from Pville to LSU. Its about 30 minute drive but the state is currently adding a new lane from Ascension Parish (Prairieville) to Baton Rouge so that will help with the commute time when the project is completed.

A good real estate website is Zillow.com and is available online or as a app if you have a iPhone.

You could also see if there is a resource you could get from the UK embassy to see if they could get you in touch with any ex pats in the Baton Rouge area that could offer you some guidance. Just a thought.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
We relocated here from Chicago last year when my spouse took a faculty job at LSU. Baton Rouge is different. You'll have to adjust your concept of city, things are more spread out and people drive everywhere.
Bikers literally get killed on the streets. There is an active group of people trying to make the area more bike friendly, but in an oil state car culture is king. We used to take public transportation and ride our bikes to work in the city of Chicago. Drivers in this state are ranked the worst in the United States. And the few places you can ride your bike you'll need a mask because the air quality is very poor.

This is a smaller city in a state that doesn't like to spend money on the public good. Feels very suburban after spending most of our lives in big cities.

Tell your husband to ask his contact at LSU for relator to show him houses around different parts of the city. He'll get a good idea that way about the kind of lifestyle you can lead here. I suggest you ask to see homes priced from 200-300K to give him and idea of how the cost of real estate here.

This is basically the opposite of Japanese culture, so brace yourself. And the summer is much much longer and has bigger insects than Japan.

Feel free to message me if you want more information from a recent urban transplant with similar needs.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM

358 posts, read 651,933 times
If you are used to living close to campus and walkability is important to you, definitely shoot for the same arrangement in Baton Rouge. The LSU campus and the area that borders it is like a city within a city and yes you can walk and bike if you are living within, say, a couple of miles. It can be done.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,233 times
@trafficsucks
I know your answer is tongue in cheek. But lot's of people run or bike to work in hot climates. I would never talk around stinking of BO. I'd just do what I do now, keep a change of clean clothes at work/in a locker and take a shower.
@blackadder5
Hopefully will be asking for more info (if I get the job offer). But i would say that Glasgow is not that friendly to runners or bikers, w. horizontal rain and wind for 3/4 of the year, bad traffic. Japan was stinking hot for running, but i got used to it. I'm adaptable, i wouldn't just give in and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge