Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM

37 posts, read 80,999 times

Advertisements

Hi lovely folks,
I posted a few months ago and you were all super helpful, which I appreciate. We are still looking at a likely move out there and so I'm trying to sink my teeth a bit deeper into some options. I'm not having a lot of luck searching for rentals that meet our needs in BR proper, so I'm here to ask for advice on the surrounding areas (and if anyone wants to explain the "parish" thing to me, I'd love to know how that works!)

We need a family housing solution for 2 adults, 2 dogs and 2 kids - one young school age and a newborn. School districts aren't an issue because I can homeschool if need be.

Safety is absolute priority. We'd rather live farther out and be safer than live close and risk it. (close being campus - where hubby will hopefully be working).

Price is an issue - I know I'm asking a lot but $1000 range is the comfort zone.

Single family/townhouse/apt, whatever - just needs indoor laundry and safety. I'd love a gated place if it's an apt.

I would love something pretty and quaint, but that may not work for what we need, so I'm open to cookie-cutter suburbia if need be (it's what we're in now in FL). I would like safe green-space nearby, though, if the neighborhood is bland. Gotta have somewhere to take the kiddos!

Suggestions for areas, ideas, etc are welcomed and appreciated!!

Also, if there are great attractions in BR area (natural or man-made) that would be good to live near, feel free to throw those out too!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:59 PM

228 posts, read 441,770 times
A parish is the same as a county in Florida. Can't remember off hand why they are called Parishes. I believe it has something to do with Catholicism.

And if you want safe I would look into Ascension Parish and specifically the town of Prairieville. Town of roughly 35,000 and is located Southeast/South of East Baton Rouge Parish. This is cookie cutter heaven as middle class/white families have fled Baton Rouge for Prairieville. The best school in the region IMO is Dutchtown but I don't know if there are rentals in that area.

Search at:
Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder and Rentals Locator | Apartmentfinder.com
Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com
Apartments for Rent | An Apartment Finder & Guide for Rentals - ForRent.com

Can also search realtor.com and talk to a realtor. Tell then what you are looking for and they can point you in a better direction. That's my top advice.

One of the biggest realtors is CJ Brown cjbrown.com. They may be able to help with a list of rentals in your price range.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks so much for the info. What's the typical commute from Prairieville to LSU campus during peak/off-peak times? We are definitely open to living farther out in the name of safety, but if it's a long commute I just need time to wrap my head around it. We have a 20 minute or so commute right now during peak hours.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 18,431 times
Depending on where exactly in Prairieville you are coming from, I would assume 30-40 minutes during peak traffic. If you are able to commute during non-peak hours, I would say 20 minutes. I currently live in P-ville and commute to LSU every morning around 6:30am and it takes me 20 minutes.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 AM

Drako257, thanks! The map makes it look like a longer commute to me, so that info is incredibly helpful!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
I lived in Prairieville and drove downtown every day, peak is about 45min +, off peak is about 15-20min.
I couldn't do it again personally.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Annie, thanks for that info. My husband will likely be commuting during off-peak hours the majority of the time, so the 20 minute thing works. Knowing that the 45+ is what it will be when he inevitably has to travel during peak times periodically is very beneficial. Thank you!

Also, if anyone has any tips about migrating from Florida to BR in general, I'd love to hear them! I'm a bit nervous about this prospect and am trying to get excited. I'm a Florida girl born and raised, so I'm not sure what to expect in BR - though if the majority of people there are as nice as y'all, I think I'll be ok!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
Majority the same I'd imagine, depends on which part of Florida. We'll have more Catholics unless you came from south Florida and of course the creole and Cajun influences you have to get accustomed to. Don't bad mouth LSU and you're good.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM

228 posts, read 441,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMom10 View Post
Annie, thanks for that info. My husband will likely be commuting during off-peak hours the majority of the time, so the 20 minute thing works. Knowing that the 45+ is what it will be when he inevitably has to travel during peak times periodically is very beneficial. Thank you!

Also, if anyone has any tips about migrating from Florida to BR in general, I'd love to hear them! I'm a bit nervous about this prospect and am trying to get excited. I'm a Florida girl born and raised, so I'm not sure what to expect in BR - though if the majority of people there are as nice as y'all, I think I'll be ok!
Are you planning on visiting the area first? Most out of town people I know are amazed at how many events go on here compared to where they are from. It seems like every weekend there is a concert/festival/parade/sporting event in either Baton Rouge or New Orleans. The drawback is the people are much more laid back in a good and bad way but it is what it is. You'll pick up on it when/if you visit.

Also note that the I-10 interstate is currently under construction through south Baton Rouge (E Baton Rouge parish) with a third lane being added. This will only help the peak hour commute.

Secondly,

Old 04-17-2012, 01:27 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,327,381 times
Prairieville isn't that bad of a commute in off-peak times. If you're going to be going home at 4 to 5:30pm then forget about it. I get shorter commutes from Central and they're very consistent. However, you may be able to think outside the box since you do not need good schools. You may be able to find a duplex or something in Southdowns, Capitol Heights, Old Goodwood, or even the Kennilworth area which would put you more in the middle of things. These are older, more expensive areas so yeah, you'd be limited to apartments and condos in those areas.

If you want to rent a house for $1000, the only neighborhoods I can think of that you could afford would be Cedarcrest, Broadmoor, and Sherwood Forest. Be sure to avoid anything near Florida Blvd because that's the danger zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge