U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 AM

60 posts, read 153,315 times
Hello. I'm looking at properties in Sherwood Forest, specifically north of Old Hammond, south of Goodwood, east of Sherwood Forest Blvd, west of Flannery Rd. That little square of neighborhoodness. I understand that some areas of bigger cities have pockets of bad and pockets of good right next to each other. I just want to know if this is the case for Sherwood, or if this entire area is realistically expected to turn into "the ghetto". I've seen arguments back and forth on here, but they tend to be more about north of Florida Blvd than anything else.

I intend to start a family in the next few years and would ideally like to live in the same house until my kids graduate high school. They wouldn't be going to public school so the local school quality is a non-issue to me.

Thank you for your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 AM

15,226 posts, read 22,459,249 times
My aunt lives on Sheraton Dr in that part of "neighborhoodness." Nice area, wouldn't worry about it. It might go down in 15 years, it might go up. No way to tell as of now but it will probably improve as time passes.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM

228 posts, read 403,278 times
Per the Advocate website murder map there have been 4 murders in the past year near the Florida and Sherwood Forest blvd and near Sherwood and S Choctaw. Is this near where you are looking?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM

Choctaw or isn't near Old Hammond or Goodwood.
Do you live in Baton Rouge? You should know that.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM

60 posts, read 153,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficsucks View Post
Per the Advocate website murder map there have been 4 murders in the past year near the Florida and Sherwood Forest blvd and near Sherwood and S Choctaw. Is this near where you are looking?
I didn't know there was a homicide map, thanks. I looked it up and those 4 murders are north of the area I'm looking at.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Choctaw or isn't near Old Hammond or Goodwood.
Do you live in Baton Rouge? You should know that.
You obviously have a odd way of defining "near". If I'm raising a family and thinking about an investment I think I would want to know if there were 4 murders near the side of town inam looking at. Maybe because you dont live in Louisiana entitles you to be careless with your suggestions. I, on the otherhand, live here and would want someone moving to a particular part of town to know there is a creeping crime problem heading his way.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshPuppy View Post
I didn't know there was a homicide map, thanks. I looked it up and those 4 murders are north of the area I'm looking at.
No problem. Personally I think that area is going downhill.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You obviously have a odd way of defining "near". If I'm raising a family and thinking about an investment I think I would want to know if there were 4 murders near the side of town inam looking at. Maybe because you dont live in Louisiana entitles you to be careless with your suggestions. I, on the otherhand, live here and would want someone moving to a particular part of town to know there is a creeping crime problem heading his way.
So because 3 people got shot in Prairieville, you wouldn't move there? Hmmm, strange.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM

I realize because you dont live in Baton Rouge that the four murders occurred around a mile from the neighborhood hes asking. There was also a fifth murder a mile away at the Airline/I-12 intersection. But you already knew that, right?

What exactly Prairieville has to do with the original posters question is completely irrelevant. You know Prairieville is roughly 14 miles to the south, right?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I realize because you dont live in Baton Rouge that the four murders occurred around a mile from the neighborhood hes asking. There was also a fifth murder a mile away at the Airline/I-12 intersection. But you already knew that, right?

What exactly Prairieville has to do with the original posters question is completely irrelevant. You know Prairieville is roughly 14 miles to the south, right?
I asked you a question.

It looks as if the OP isn't bothered by the incidents north of the location in question. Anything else you would like to know? Feel free to ask us anything about locations and specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge