U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,948 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am going to move to BR in the upcoming winter to study at LSU. I have two children, one 6th grade daughter and one first grade boy. I have been warned that the public school systems in La are not so good. No good public schools near LSU? Do I have to let my kids enter the private schools? Two kids would cost me more than 10,000 bucks, not little. Any advise about my case will be really appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,408,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceBRguy View Post
Hi folks,

I am going to move to BR in the upcoming winter to study at LSU. I have two children, one 6th grade daughter and one first grade boy. I have been warned that the public school systems in La are not so good. No good public schools near LSU? Do I have to let my kids enter the private schools? Two kids would cost me more than 10,000 bucks, not little. Any advise about my case will be really appreciated.
Do your due diligence and thoroughly investigate the school situation before you make your move. There are good reasons so many have fled BR to the neighboring parishes of Livingston and Ascension. You may want to consider commuting in to LSU instead of living near it if you don't want to spend money for private school.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:44 PM

14 posts, read 71,001 times
I have friends who have been happy with Buchanan Elementary. Also look into Glasgow Middle School. Both are near LSU. I love the residential areas around campus, by the way. I don't think you will regret living so close to campus if you can find the right schools. I can also recommend Trinity Episcopal on Morning Glory (also super close to campus) if you must go with a private elementary school. Not sure how many spaces they would have at this point, though. I wish you the best with this!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,948 times
lovesMountains, etland, thank you so much for your advices. Since I am now living in NY I don't have much information about the BR area. I have not been to BR yet, so it was not easy to do a due diligence. Anyway thanks a lot. I'll do a more research.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceBRguy View Post
lovesMountains, etland, thank you so much for your advices. Since I am now living in NY I don't have much information about the BR area. I have not been to BR yet, so it was not easy to do a due diligence. Anyway thanks a lot. I'll do a more research.
Search the site greatschools.net to learn about the schools your kids would most likely attend in the LSU area. You can learn a lot that way

Old 09-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Another thought...go online to read the local Baton Rouge newspaper - The Morning Advocate. Search its archives for stories relating to schools and school issues.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etland View Post
I have friends who have been happy with Buchanan Elementary. Also look into Glasgow Middle School. Both are near LSU. I love the residential areas around campus, by the way. I don't think you will regret living so close to campus if you can find the right schools. I can also recommend Trinity Episcopal on Morning Glory (also super close to campus) if you must go with a private elementary school. Not sure how many spaces they would have at this point, though. I wish you the best with this!
Trinity Episcopal has always enjoyed a good reputation.

Here's one last thought - don't know what the current requirements are (you may have to actually be a faculty member) but look into getting your kids in the University lab school - U High (k-12). They have a fantastic rep and are right on campus.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,954 times
I'm actually here in Baton Rouge. Hate to tell you this, but DO NOT put your kids in the East Baton Rouge Parish school system.

If you want to stay in this parish (county), then you'd need to live either in Central or Zachary. Both are EXCELLENT school systems, but about a 30 minute drive to LSU. (my son is in 11th grade at Central High School, but went to private school from K-8).

If you could commute a little further, then Ascension Parish and Livingston Parish are two great options. The traffic is horrible and there is a lot of overcrowding now though. Again, Central & Zachary are 2 great options, plus areas which are more family oriented, less crime, etc. than being in the city.

Another option is the Brusly area which is due west across the Mississippi River from LSU. This is "West Baton Rouge Parish", just south of the town of Port Allen. Brusly is a good area as far as school systems & relocating a family. And not a bad commute to LSU.

If you want to be near LSU and you want your kids to have a good education as well, then there is no other option than private school. U-High (the lab school at LSU) is good, but hard to get into unless you know someone, or have your child on a waiting list before they were born.

If you want more information on moving here (and you want some honest answers), you can contact me privately.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 89,212 times
May I suggest Parkview Baptist. They teach K-12 and both children would be at the same location. I wouldn't say it's terribly far away from LSU but when you consider traffic it does become longer. I would have to agree with Stuckinlouisiana that the Louisiana puplic school system is not where you want your children. You could live in Prarieville or Gonzales (Ascension Parish) and get to and from Parkview with relative ease.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 PM

155 posts, read 730,678 times
Another nod to Glasgow Middle School for your daughter.

2theadvocate.com | News | Federal agency honors Glasgow Middle — Baton Rouge, LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge