Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 56,471 times

Advertisements

Our family (with kids 5 & 3) will be moving to Baton Rouge in the next few months. We are looking for an upscale neighborhood and will be looking for a home in the $600-900k range. My husband will be working in downtown BR and would prefer a commute of 40 minutes or less. I would appreciate any ideas for neighborhoods to consider.

Also, we will be visiting BR in the next few weeks to look into private schools. Are there any noteworthy private schools worth visiting? We are Catholic and while a Catholic school would be nice, it is not a requirement.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Katherine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 79,962 times
Dunham is a great school with high standards. Santa Maria would be a good subdivision that will have kids and amenities. Diverse home prices will allow children to have lots of children to play with.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 17,019 times
I was reading your reply to Dunham and was wondering if you could share more of your experience with the school. We are looking for a school to start K and end with 12. Also looking at Runnels and Episcopal. Any feedback woul d be appreciated.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine2007 View Post
Our family (with kids 5 & 3) will be moving to Baton Rouge in the next few months. We are looking for an upscale neighborhood and will be looking for a home in the $600-900k range. My husband will be working in downtown BR and would prefer a commute of 40 minutes or less. I would appreciate any ideas for neighborhoods to consider.

Also, we will be visiting BR in the next few weeks to look into private schools. Are there any noteworthy private schools worth visiting? We are Catholic and while a Catholic school would be nice, it is not a requirement.

Thank you!
Katherine
Unless you live in the far reaches of Livingston and/or Ascension, you shouldn't be facing that kind of commute. Pricey neighborhoods:

(1) Lakeshore Drive
(2) Hundred Oaks - not a personal favorite, because you have seedy neighborhoods on three sides
(3) Walden
(4) Harts Mill Pond
(5) Country Club of Louisiana
(6) numerous subdivisions off Highland Road from Staring all the way to I-10
(7) Santa Maria
(8) Bocage
(9) Old Goodwood
(10) Pikes Lane
(11) The Lakes at Highland

Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 AM

33 posts, read 184,351 times
My aunt lives in White Oak Landing. I know she told me her home was worth around $500,000. I would say they live in a higher class neighborhood. There is also a gated neighborhood within there. I love their neighborhood because they have a lake and biking trails around and the neighbors are not right on top of one another. The houses are nice too.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 63,714 times
Default Mallard Lakes

Check out Mallard Lakes off of Hoo Shoo Too Rd. This subdivision is unique in the BR area.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 PM

7 posts, read 68,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine2007 View Post

Thank you!
Katherine
Hi Katherine,

I live in a very nice Highland Rd. neighborhood that we love. My little boy attends a Catholic school that is very popular in town. I highly recommend it. The school will depend on the parish that you live in. Are you more interested in a newer home? Do you like the charm of older homes and older neigborhoods? Or do you prefer the crisp look of a new neighborhood? Do you need a large yard? Would you enjoy a golf course community? There is a nice selection in the price range that you describe in Baton Rouge. Moderator cut: please refer to Terms of Service

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-25-2007 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 PM

155 posts, read 766,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTUCKER View Post
Hi Katherine,

I live in a very nice Highland Rd. neighborhood that we love. My little boy attends a Catholic school that is very popular in town.
Any chance that's St. Aloysius? What is it with those mothers who refuse to use the new queuing lane that was constructed a couple years ago? It's so irritating for those of us who live in Southdowns, not to mention dangerous. Just last week an ambulance had trouble getting through because of the inconsiderate drivers who block the street.

Sorry if that's not the school you were talking about.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 68,263 times
Hi,

CindyM, No. I know that St Aloysius is probably the MOST popular Catholic school in BR. My son goes to St. Jude... I did hear about changes to the carpool lines that were made this year at St. Aloysius...don't know if that has anything to do with it....Do you have children there?

I think that carpool can get pretty hairy at all of the schools!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 PM

155 posts, read 766,497 times
No children there. I'm a neighborhood resident. Just wish the parents of children attending the school were a little more courteous. The carpool lane was rarely used last year. This year it appears to be hit or miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge