Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 PM

19 posts, read 27,070 times

Advertisements

I currently reside on the East Coast. I'll be relocating to Baton Rouge for graduate school at LSU. Things are overwhelming....

I've logged many hours on the net attempting to scope out "good" versus "bad" areas. It seems even within the same streets, there are cold/hot areas and it's very confusing/difficult to keep track of it all. Unfortunately, I am not able to come visit beforehand.

I was hoping someone could help. What I'm looking for: A one bedroom apartment in the $600ish range that is within walking (preferred) or on a direct busline to LSU campus. I'm not wanting a roommate.

After researching, it seems that the 600 range cancels out Garden District? Plus, I've been told I could find better value by looking elsewhere.

I've read every single thread posted four times a month regarding my same ordeal. To help you, here are my likes: quaint, lots and lots of trees/green/shrubbery/crawling ivy/ (I was raised on a farm, so any area with lots of space/less concrete), sidewalks for dog walking?, quiet, clean, safe, historic. It would nice to be near at least one grocery store. Otherwise, I'm not one for nightlife.

I was hoping to steer away from the apartments nearest campus. They all have the same feel, as if they were built for a Thorton Wilder stage set. I guess I'm just wanting character. Not spraypainted bathtubs or shotgunned beers.

Ideally, I want to rent an apartment for the full duration of the three year program. To call it home.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Nearest LSU you won't find a $600 apartment in a good neighborhood. You are going to have to sacrifice walk-ability in the $600 range unless you live in a couple of the cheaper complexes downtown. You may be able to find some deals on Craigslist (but I wouldn't in your case since you can't visit), or get a weekly rental and try to scope on some private rentals in the neighborhoods you desire. Or you may want to up your budget some and get a house in Southdowns, Garden District, Beauregard Town, or Mid-City.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM

228 posts, read 444,438 times
Your price range isn't going to put you in a safe neighborhood. I would try looking in the Brightside or Tigerland area. You'll need to lower your expectations or look for a roomie.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Well, thank you both for your input. For being honest enough to tell me what I don't want to hear. I had a feeling I was being a bit naive.

Annie, you mentioned renting a house? Is that generally better value than renting an apartment? And up the budget by how much? The houses I've seen in Spanish Town seem more in my range than in Garden District. (If I was able to find a rental). Is ST within walking distance of LSU?

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM

Beauregard is closer to campus than Spanish Town right?

Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Spanish Town is not within walking distance, neither is BT but it's closer. You can take the 46 on Highland into LSU. Well renting a house is a better option for you because of the price range and the type of neighborhood you desire.

This is a nice one within walking distance.
LATTER & BLUM Property Management » Contact

Use this link to search, post addresses here and we can tell you about the area.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Wow! Annie!

That is nice! Nicer than any in my range I've encountered so far.

I've been searching nonstop on padmapper.com. Thank you, too, for the link to this site.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Why is this one so cheap? It's at 2875 Iowa Street.
If the satellite conversion distance is correct, it seems close to LSU.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM

It's in Old South BR, its the hood but I think that area would be ok since there would be many students nearby. If you can, stay away from streets with state names like Kansas, Tennesee, and Oklahoma, all in OSBR.
For posting links, just copy and paste from the address bar.

Immediately surrounding LSU is mainly rich or poor. There are good traditional urban neighborhoods outside of that though, difficult without a car however.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:29 PM

I'll paypal you your broker fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge