Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 AM

208 posts, read 837,551 times

Advertisements

I am just curious of the current status of the French language in Louisiana.

Is it dying or is it still spoken by a few and trying to remain alive?

Do you know anyone who speaks it. And I mean, truly speaks Cajun and.or Louisianan French fluently and perfectly.

If I walk down the main street of Lafayette, LA would I hear conversations by the townspeople being spoken in French?

I am curious. My daughter has studied French for several years. Lived in Montreal and studied in Paris.
She is interested in taking me to Cajun Country with her so she speak to the locals in French and "study" the language while there (just for fun, not for her schooling).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM

26,879 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Part of your answer lies here:

Counties and parishes with the highest proportion of French-speakers

Note: speakers of French-based creole languages are not included in percentages.Source: Wikipedia.

I don't live in Louisiana, but I have been there and my experience has been that you don't really hear that many people speaking French out in public - even in these areas. French was looked down upon for a long time (not so much these days) and the old reflexes of speaking French only at home remain for a lot of people.

One thing that does happen though is if people overhear you speaking in French then they will talk to you in French. I've also had people who spoke only English but overheard me speaking in French tell me that they will "find me" someone who speaks French that I can talk to. Even though I can speak English just fine.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
It's not popular among the younger generation. It's a shame, I really wish all of south Louisiana was bilingual.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's not popular among the younger generation. It's a shame, I really wish all of south Louisiana was bilingual.
Do you speak Cajun?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxexaxcxex View Post
Do you speak Cajun?
Not a lick.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Not a lick.
Do you know anybody that does?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Do you know anybody that does?
I "dated" a girl that could speak a little Cajun. It was mostly phrases but she can generally understand it.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I "dated" a girl that could speak a little Cajun. It was mostly phrases but she can generally understand it.
It is good to know it is still alive somewhat.
I wish America was more bilingual.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
It is good to know it is still alive somewhat.
I wish America was more bilingual.
It's dying quickly. After the older generation passes away, it will be virtually non-existent. That is truly a tragedy for this state.
It would also help relations with France and Europe. Could you imagine the French migrating here?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,083 times
I don't speak "cajun" french but I consider myself a French speaker of Louisiana. Although the language cant be heard too often, there is a major push to bring it back with French immersion schools. Also, there is evidence that the next generation of young people are starting to bring it back. In New Orleans, I've heard people speaking french and met french speakers but they were either a. french immigrants b. products of french immersion (not cajun french) or c. just happen to speak french. I live in New Orleans so i dont know too many cajuns but out of my close circle of friends, only like 3 or 4 do not speak french. I don't know if that's normal in other parts of the country though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge