Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
Thanks much for the info and the helpful links.

I know that plans for Perkins Rowe have in no way stopped, but I was told the plans for the residential living spaces have been scaled down, and they will be smaller now. I'm not sure if this means the condos themselves will be smaller, or whether there will be fewer of them, or both.

Has anyone heard this?
To be honest, I don't recall Perkins Rowe being residential - it's not that big of an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,979 times
Perkins Rowe does indeed have a residential aspect. It is quite a large development as you can see from the artist's renderings on the website.

Here is a quote from the website.

As cool as it will be to visit Perkins Rowe, it’ll be even cooler to live in Perkins Rowe. Lots of light, gourmet kitchens, and a private pool, and that’s just the beginning. We’ve gone straight to the top when it comes to designing the living spaces here. San Francisco design firm Babey Moulton Jue & Booth (BAMO) and Florida’s premier mid-rise architect, Robert Swedroe have teamed up to bring the best of urban living to Baton Rouge. When it comes to carefully selecting and integrating the infinite details for successful urban living, these folks are the best at what they do. Now consider you’ll be living just steps from where Baton Rouge will be congregating, and well, like they say, “location is everything.”

Old 10-18-2006, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 48,008 times
One other note, Genevieve, on a "walking" community. In the spring, summer and fall, heat and humidity can be oppressive. And of course there are always the thundershowers. While there are some very nice neighborhoods, they tend to be isolated and not really joined to any shopping areas.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:29 PM

13 posts, read 154,794 times
Thanks, all, for your help.

We'll be visiting BR Nov. 8 thru 12th and look forward to checking out Perkin's Rowe and saome of these other neighborhoods.

The point about the heat is well taken, too

Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,274 times
Smile Perkins Rowe

Yes! Yes! Yes! Great things are happening in Baton Rouge! What you're looking for is Perkins Rowe...check them out at perkinsrowe.com. Residential units are now available for sale in phase 1 starting around 200K.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 AM

58 posts, read 254,735 times
Default Philly to Br

I assume by city-living, you mean like Central City. I have been going up that way quite a bit over the two years and it is quite different from what you will find in Baton Rouge. There has been an effort to get a downtown started, but it is decades (if ever) away from being like Central City. The south is just different from the Northeast.

Traffic in BR is very comparable to traffic coming from Jersey/Delaware. Baton Rouge is just plain a different city from what you are talking about. Perhaps the new Perkins Rowe will become similar, but it will be a Disney version of Central City. Personally, I could go either way. I like things clean and new, but I also appreciate history and older architecture. Since I have smaller kids, I would choose to stick with clean and new.

You should definitely visit as you are looking at two VERY different cities. Similar to the difference between Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rocks View Post
Yes! Yes! Yes! Great things are happening in Baton Rouge! What you're looking for is Perkins Rowe...check them out at perkinsrowe.com. Residential units are now available for sale in phase 1 starting around 200K.
No avertising rock candy...You will become a moderators best friend..lol

Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM

100 posts, read 392,119 times
Quote:
My husband and I are considering a relocation to BR from Philadelphia.

We really like the city life the way Phily is set up. It's a really walkable city, with very urban neighborhoods, shops, restaurants, etc.

Are there nicer areas of Baton Rouge that have that downtown walkable neighborhood type of feel?

Thanks for your help!

Genevieve
Downtown is expensive for anything big enough for a family. I'd go for Spanish Town. It has a strange reputation that isn't accepting of the traditional family, but that is changing. Prices are high and the yards are small, but it has that small town walkable feel. If you work downtown you could get to your office by foot or by bike if the weather is nice.
www.urbanplanet.org has some pictures of some of these types of neighborhoods.

It sounds like you'd like Capitol Heights, Zeeland Gardens, Southdowns, and parts of the Garden district. I'd even suggest places like Kennelworth and the Staring Lane area off Highland Road if you desire a larger yard and newer house. Not many sidewalks there, but there is plans for bike/walking paths along highland. Most of the residential streets are quiet enough that pedestrian traffic is not in danger of being run over. Lots of little stores along intersections on Highland at Staring and Kennelworth.

Those are not the cheapest neighborhoods, but they have pretty tree shaded blvds with sidewalks on the busy streets. You can find old style corner stores and trendy restarants. The LSU lakes area is also great jogging/biking routes.

If you want a brownstone or loft space, Downtown is going to be expensive....but it does have pedestrian access. Perkins Rowe is looking great, but it is not finished. If you moved in now, you'd have to deal with construction traffic for another year or so.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:19 PM

155 posts, read 766,401 times
Quote:
Thanks, all, for your help.

We'll be visiting BR Nov. 8 thru 12th and look forward to checking out Perkin's Rowe and saome of these other neighborhoods.

The point about the heat is well taken, too
How was your visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: