U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM

100 posts, read 137,502 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving to the Baton Rouge area...I'm also looking at Hammond and Covington... I am a single mom... I'll have my 11 year old with me...not sure if my 18 year old is coming with or not...we live in IL now. I'm not interested in schools because my youngest goes to school online... but I would like to live somewhere that he'll be able to meet other kids so he's not always stuck hanging out with me and my friends. I much rather live in a single family house or a townhouse that has a backyard, etc. Do y'all think it's better to live in like those complexes/communities that are like gated with pools, lakes, playground area etc... or are there certain neighborhoods where there would be kids around?? I honestly rather not live in an apartment...we would like to be able to have a backyard of some sort. I'm looking to hopefully stay under $1000...no more than $900 a month would be great...I could go to $1100...I just rather not... I already have a job...I work from home...so it doesn't matter about a commute or anything like that either... and honestly I don't care about traffic...I live in Chicago...so there isn't going to be any traffic in LA that will come close to Chicago traffic. Hoping to move by Sept 1st. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM

15,330 posts, read 22,669,416 times
Hammond and Covington are actually in New Orleans metro area. Both of those areas are family oriented suburbs of New Orleans (Hammond is much more independent). Is there a reason why you say you want to move near Baton Rouge but chose towns in netro New Orleans?
By the way, traffic in Baton Rouge is statistically one of the worst in the country, if not worse than Chicago itself.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 PM

I do know that Hammond and Covington are closer to New Orleans...I'm basically planning on moving somewhere between Baton Rouge and New Orleans... does that make sense? I've been in Baton Rouge quite a bit over the last few months...but it just honestly seemed like no big deal to me... but I've been dealing with Chicago traffic forever...so that's probably why it seemed like no big deal.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 PM

24,848 posts, read 13,739,320 times
I would highly recommend Prairieville. It's short commute to Baton Rouge and easy to get to New Orleans and the NO airport. Other possibilities are Denham Springs and Watson in Livingston Parish. I would recommend Covington over Hammond and would also suggest Mandeville which is near Covington and an easy commute to New Orleans.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 AM

Thanks! I'll look into Prairieville! I do have a good friend in Denham and have been looking at places there as well. I do have a friend in Mandeville who said the same thing about Covington over Hammond. Living in Chicago...my youngest can easily walk to the grocery store to pick something up if needed...is that possible in any of these places...being able to walk somewhere instead of always having to drive? And if he did walk to the store or gas station or whatever...not having to worry about him? Are there any places to look for rentals besides craigslist? I haven't moved in over 11 years so trying to find a place to live...especially in another state...is quite the task! lol

Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM

There's no where to walk in these suburbs. If so, it'll be on major highways or you'll be lucky to be close enough to a store.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM

So no burbs out there have places close enough in the vicinity to walk to?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 AM

It depends on where you live. There might be a store in walking distance but it's not going to be like being in a city. Is there a reason why you don't want to live in the city?

Old 07-06-2013, 03:53 AM

Well I suppose because I've lived in Chicago for so long...I'm so used to everything...at least the places where I've lived...where you can walk to a store, a gas station, restaurant, etc... I don't mind at all living in the city...I am looking in Baton Rouge...but I rather not live right in New Orleans for example. I suppose maybe I should concentrate more so on Baton Rouge? I just want to make sure my kid is able to meet other kids easily because he won't be attending a traditional school. Here it's harder to meet kids outside of school because we don't have a lot of kids in our neighborhood.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM

You can do that in Baton Rouge and New Orleans but no so much in the burbs.
If you give me a price range, type of neighborhood, and amenities I can give you some areas to look into. New Orleans sounds like it would be a better place if you want urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge