Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 AM

87 posts, read 389,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reas View Post
We are planning to move to baton rouge in summer 2008 from houma.My husband's job will be in Denham Springs off florida blvd.Although we have visited baton rouge couple of times ,and know what to expect ,we are still confused about schools and housing.
I have heard that private schools are the way to go.Is it hard to get into it if we are non catholic ? we have 5 year old and 9 year old. what are the other options? i will be applying for magnet schools ,but i understand that they are very hard to get into.
My husband doesn't mind 20 to 30 minutes drive to work.Would living in Prairieville and commuting make sense, since the public schools are good?

Any suggestions is appreciated.
thank you.
Commuting from Prairieville to Denham Springs would be longer than a 30 minute commute. Depending on the time of day, it could take you an hour or more...

If I had to put my kids in school there, I would definitely choose private over public. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 AM

87 posts, read 389,013 times
Oh, I forgot to mention the Walker area. There are some new and nice neighborhoods in the Walker area. The commute to Denham Springs would only be around 15 minutes and the public schools there are okay.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,194 times
Will be moving from Atlanta to Baton Rouge in early spring. Would like to move to a nice established neighborhood. We would like to keep the price under 500K. I have heard or read about areas off of Highland. One area mentioned to us is Oak Hills Place. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 32,279 times
There has been some developments regarding schools .Our 9 year old got in the gifted program and Westdale heights magnet school .But my 5 year old is in the waiting list in the magnet school and we have applied to the St Aloysius and St.Jude, waiting results.My husband will working in Denham Springs.So what are the neighborhoods we should consider to make commuting easy on all of us?
Thank you all for the help.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,588 times
May I also suggest Central. It has recently been named a city. They have a new community school system and quite a few new upscale neighborhoods. It is located very close to Denham Springs by backroads. It is growing tremendously with lots of new shops and a Super Wal-Mart. It also has a Catholic Elementary at Saint Alphonsis.
Livingston Parish schools also have a great reputation and the taxes are cheaper.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM

135 posts, read 477,410 times
Default Central

We are also relocating to BR. After driving around a bunch we have settled on Grennwell Springs/ Central, due to less trafic. short drive to hubbys work and I visted the elementary school and was very impressed.

We found a nice home in Hamton Village Estates, that is only 7 years old. The neighborhood also seemd diverse, don't think being asian would be a problem as I saw a black couple in there and they had a very nice home.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,194 times
I appreciate the couple of emails from realstate agents offering their services (we already have that taken care of) but I would really like opinions on Oak Hills Place and other areas off of Highland.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,219,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelbart View Post
I appreciate the couple of emails from realstate agents offering their services (we already have that taken care of) but I would really like opinions on Oak Hills Place and other areas off of Highland.
MODERATOR:

Surely my LA real estate people didn't do that? C'mon, guys, you know better...soliciting behind the scenes will get you shut down in a hurry. Knock it off.

Sam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge