U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,019,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's by far not a fabrication, I have high school friends on my Facebook feed calling for his impeachment.
Seriously , that's the basis for your condemnation of right wing conservatives ? Are you too young to remember the hatred and vitriol aimed at the Bush family during their terms in office ? Has there EVER been a President that wasn't hated by SOMEBODY ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 PM

15,339 posts, read 22,687,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Seriously , that's the basis for your condemnation of right wing conservatives ? Are you too young to remember the hatred and vitriol aimed at the Bush family during their terms in office ? Has there EVER been a President that wasn't hated by SOMEBODY ?
And no it's not my basis, so many GOP politicians have said some disgusting things in the past few years.
Not really to young, just didn't care at the time.

I don't see your point, am I lying or are you just angry? 100% Republican politics has done diddly for this state except blow our surplus and put us in the red.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,019,729 times
I see who's angry . And in denial .

Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I see who's angry . And in denial .
Oh great, a pathetic excuse for a response.

Let me try once again, am I lying?

Old 10-18-2014, 01:01 AM

20 posts, read 28,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
I have recently retired. My wife and I are thinking about retirement in Baton Rouge because of family.

We are concerned about several things: crime, medical facilities, race relations, extreme politics, nice neighborhoods, transportation, etc.

Advice?
Getting back on topic here are my answers:

1. Crime is bad in bad parts of town and are usually started because of drug conflicts. These areas can be found in North Baton Rouge past Florida Blvd. The only reason you would go to NBR is for the airport, but it is a straight shot taking the interstate. All of the cities main attractions are located Downtown or in South Baton Rouge.

2. South Baton Rouge is home to the BRHD (Baton Rouge Health District). This district holds a total of six top notch hospitals/medical campuses, four world class research facilities, and a nice community park. It lies along I-10's path. Currently the area is undergoing a massive transformation and plans are in place to fix the roads, add a lot more public transportation, and two new parks. It is the best medical center in the state.

3. Well, it is the south to put it bluntly. As a student I think the younger generations (like mine) are taking a lot of it away. Most people I know are generally appalled at any large acts of racism, but there are still some racist jerks.

4. There are extreme politics primarily in the cities suburbia and the more rural part. However, the city council has a very nice balance in terms of Democrats and Republicans. The current mayor is a Democrat and is generally well liked among liberals and conservatives. I'm sure our next mayor will be a Democrat as well. Baton Rouge still has a little ways to go in terms of making things more neutral, but the more independent voices the better.

5. Baton Rouge does have some great neighborhoods. The nicest (I would say) are in the Garden District. The Garden District lies in the larger LSU campus area and has great people, houses, and neighborhoods. Their streets are filled to the brim with shady trees and greenery. There are also nice neighborhoods in South Baton Rouge. Once again, the bad neighborhoods are in North Baton Rouge and if you are against extremist the suburbs by Denham Springs are not for you.

6. Transportation is not great BUT it is getting better. The most dense/livable areas are around LSU and in the Garden District/Downtown. South Baton Rouge s the victim of post-war sprawl, but it is getting better. There are better lines now for the buses and the wait times are going down. The biggest problem are the stations, but depending on where you live you can get where you need to go by taking the bus now, but the car is a staple in most peoples lives. The interstate does get congested due to the lack of density and cut through streets in the cities south.

All around Baton Rouge is a nice and very green (landscaping wise) place to live. There are a ton of things to do, from the farmers market and Rural Life Center to the museums and concerts/festivals downtown. The best thing about Baton Rouge is that it is changing and getting better all the time. There is an electric and contagious want for change and projects to make the city better. So if you move here odds are the Baton Rouge you move to will be a very different one five or ten years from now.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 PM

394 posts, read 601,064 times
Thanks Bernham--excellent summary. I really want to explore BR in more depth. I love being part of a vibrant city. We will make up our minds within a year or so. Looks like the Garden area or around LSU is our best bet. Glad to hear about the local political atmosphere. Perhaps the leaders of BR can get things done and avoid the gridlock caused by the polarization of the parties.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:43 AM

20 posts, read 28,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
Thanks Bernham--excellent summary. I really want to explore BR in more depth. I love being part of a vibrant city. We will make up our minds within a year or so. Looks like the Garden area or around LSU is our best bet. Glad to hear about the local political atmosphere. Perhaps the leaders of BR can get things done and avoid the gridlock caused by the polarization of the parties.
You're welcome. I moved here last year with family from Tampa and I love it. The city council has been very successful in getting roads fixed and revitalizing downtown and there really is no gridlocks. If I recall correctly the city government has a Democrat majority, but I could be wrong. The state itself is a one party state and is ruled by Republicans, but they are not as bad as some would think.

As for vibrancy there are also a lot of festivals downtown and things to do so it is a very vibrant city. Now it is not as vibrant as say San Francisco or something, but I would say it is more vibrant than Houston. A better example would be Austin. Baton Rouge is a more conservative version of Austin if that makes sense. And as I said in my OP, things are getting more and more vibrant.

Based on what you seem like the Garden District will be the perfect place for you and they are also getting bus routes there so that should be a plus.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bernham View Post
You're welcome. I moved here last year with family from Tampa and I love it. The city council has been very successful in getting roads fixed and revitalizing downtown and there really is no gridlocks. If I recall correctly the city government has a Democrat majority, but I could be wrong. The state itself is a one party state and is ruled by Republicans, but they are not as bad as some would think.

As for vibrancy there are also a lot of festivals downtown and things to do so it is a very vibrant city. Now it is not as vibrant as say San Francisco or something, but I would say it is more vibrant than Houston. A better example would be Austin. Baton Rouge is a more conservative version of Austin if that makes sense. And as I said in my OP, things are getting more and more vibrant.

Based on what you seem like the Garden District will be the perfect place for you and they are also getting bus routes there so that should be a plus.
I think you're seeing through rose colored glasses.

City council is terrible first of all and the Green Light Plan initiated by Mayor Kip has been great, although there are still about 50 more projects that are needed in EBR alone, and a good bit of them are large scale like doing something with Airline, a new bridge, bypass/loop, etc. There certainly are gridlocks throughout the parish, they are pretty much any major intersection in south Baton Rouge/St. George. City government may be a bit blue, but still conservative. And yes the republicans are just as bad as everywhere else.

I wouldn't say we're more vibrant than Houston, our downtown is better for now, but it's not like Baton Rouge has any truly dense vibrant neighborhoods. Also, we are similar in ways to Austin but we are no Austin. ATX is very scenic, white and brown, educated, high COL, etc. I would compare it to NO.
Baton Rouge is more like Houston, except much smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge