Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:19 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times

Advertisements

I have recently retired. My wife and I are thinking about retirement in Baton Rouge because of family.

We are concerned about several things: crime, medical facilities, race relations, extreme politics, nice neighborhoods, transportation, etc.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:36 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Baton Rouge seems like a really nice city to me and great location close to New Orleans. Seems fairly affluent, growing and lively with LSU. I've heard the traffic congestion is very heavy, and of course you have to enjoy hot, humid weather for a large portion of the year.

Maybe you should consider the Mississippi Gulf Coast also. It's overall low crime, easy traffic, with a pleasant, breezy location next to the gulf. It's smaller than Baton Rouge and lovely for retirees. The city of Diamondhead, just a few minutes from the Louisiana-Mississippi state line (near New Orleans) and next to the picturesque Bay of St. Louis, is a nice golf and boating community that's quite affordable, with virtually no crime or traffic.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:22 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Crime is bad in bad neighborhoods, mainly north of Florida Blvd. Race relations are normal for the south, no one is burning crosses but it's still the south. I'm black.
You do have more extreme right wingers, not many extreme left. Most people on the right seem extreme these days though. Plenty of nice neighborhoods, depends on what you desire.
Public transportation is abysmal. There's a few bus lines and it's getting better but other places are much much better even being smaller than BR.

I would also check out Lafayette, great city.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:44 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times
Thanks for the insight. Would prefer more public transportation and less far right politics but.... I keep hearing good things about Layfayette.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Lafayette is nice, I haven't gotten to explore the city much though. What about New Orleans?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
" Most people on the right seem extreme these days " ? Wow .

Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
" Most people on the right seem extreme these days " ? Wow .
Many of the extreme left are New Yorkers or Californians in my experience. When people on the right are calling for Obama to be impeached and deported, it makes them extreme to me and many others.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:06 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
You've been watching to much MSNBC Annie . That impeachment thing is a left wing fabrication to rally support , and you fell for it .

Old 10-13-2014, 07:56 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Default Annie is not falling for fabrication.

Quote:
You've been watching to much MSNBC Annie . That impeachment thing is a left wing fabrication to rally support , and you fell for it .
I belong to a political forum where all persuasions, left to right, post. There is for sure a far right element that wants Obama impeached. They are serious and are perplexed that everyone else doesn't agree with them. It seems so clear to them that he should be impeached. His executive orders or something.

I'm from Louisiana. Believe me when I say....Louisiana is dark red politically. While not as extreme as, maybe, Alabama, Louisiana is far right overall. There are pockets that are less so. I expect New Orleans, and to some degree, Baton Rouge, are less so because they are larger cities in a state full of small towns, and are more cosmopolitan. B.R. being the capital and all.

East Baton Rouge Parish actually voted for Obama in the last election. There were only 2 parishes in the whole state that did so.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I don't watch MSNBC at all. I don't watch much news media.
It's by far not a fabrication, I have high school friends on my Facebook feed calling for his impeachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge