U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 33,462 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Baton Rouge from the Northeast. Napoleon Street between Florida and above Government Streets. As I read the posts I'm starting to get concerned that safety is going to be an issue (I'm a female so it's a concern). Is there anyone familiar with the area and the safety of the location? It's not too far from the River Center.

Thanks much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,196,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie25 View Post
I'm considering a move to Baton Rouge from the Northeast. Napoleon Street between Florida and above Government Streets. As I read the posts I'm starting to get concerned that safety is going to be an issue (I'm a female so it's a concern). Is there anyone familiar with the area and the safety of the location? It's not too far from the River Center.

Thanks much!
Downtown (which is where your place is) is so-so. I think it's better than it used to be because it's become a popular place to live, but when you go easy of I-110 and/or south of I-10, you are in some nasty neighborhoods. And those neighborhoods are within 5-10 blocks of your place.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 AM

794 posts, read 3,194,512 times
Sounds like you're in Beauregard Town, which isn't a bad area. It's an old area. You should be fine until you go east of I-110 and south of I-10, although you obviously should keep watch anywhere you are. It'll take a while getting used to the area.
I think it's a lot darker than downtown though, the street lighting isn't that good there or covered by lots of trees. Whereas downtown has pretty good street lighting.
There are a few places that stay open downtown after hours now, but not many, and mostly bars. More are opening every month though (little shops and restaurants). But there is a great farmers market located in front of the Main Street Market at the corner of Main and 5th every Saturday morning. There is also great (small business) shopping along Government Street in Midcity (basically everything between N 22nd and Foster or Jefferson). The larger chain stores stick close to the freeways and Airline Hwy.

There are several areas around MidCity that don't look very good, but I've never had any problems and I wouldn't say they're bad areas. I can't say that BTR has any real ghettos that are totally dangerous. There are a few neighborhoods you would probably do well to avoid. You'll learn which major streets and roads cross these areas and you'll realize that none of these areas are really big. Traffic in south Baton Rouge stays fairly busy throughout the day and parts of the night so rarely are you in a deserted area of town.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 33,462 times
Thank you - that's actually quite reassuring.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,713 times
Josie,

I have an affordable, one bedroom apartment available near LSU off of Nicholson Drive.

The area is, in my opinion, relatively safe and the neighbors are great.

If you are interested in more information, you may Moderator cut: personal info edited out, use direct message feature - never a good idea to put phone numbers on the internet

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-02-2008 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge