Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 05:01 AM

5 posts, read 4,634 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'll be moving this summer from north Louisiana to Baton Rouge for a job. I hate traffic, but I need to do this. I will have to buy because of pets. I'm a single female, 60 years old, so need a safe neighborhood. I'll be working downtown, and as the thread title shows, only have about $130 - 135 max to spend. When I plug in the figures to realtor.com, the majority of homes show up in the Broadmoor-Sherwood Forest neighborhood. Looks like a nice neighborhood, like what I'm used to in Shreveport, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. I want a yard, gardening is a passion and I do have a dog. What can y'all tell me about living in that neighborhood? Am I missing an area to consider?

I don't want to go any further out, because I don't want to be out of town.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:35 PM

27 posts, read 42,320 times
Broadmoor and Sherwood Forest are lovely neighborhoods with homes built in the 1950 and 1960's. The Garden District homes is closer to downtown but the prices may be higher than your budget. Capital Heights/Hundred Oaks have older homes. To avoid interstate traffic you can search in the really old neighborhood of Beauregard Town and Spanish Town.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. Garden District homes are most definitely higher than my budget! I haven't seen anything in Capital Heights or Hundred Oaks when I plug in my price range to the online sites, but maybe I'll do a search particular to that zip code. I don't think I'd find anything in B-Town or Spanish Town that would give me a yard, would I?

It kind sounds like what I have been figuring, that Broadmoor is going to be the place with the most to choose from. I do like the houses that I see, and the yards.

How bad, really, would the commute be?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 PM

Broadmoor offers LARGE yards which I refer to mowing. B-town and Spanish Town have yards that can be entire cottage gardens. Think picket fences. Broadmoor has privacy fences. You would probably get on Florida Boulevard from Broadmoor which would bring you right downtown. No interstate. Lots of lights though.
A commute isn't so bad if your destination is the house that you really, really love.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM

AND, there's Port Allen, LA. It is just across the river from downtown. Sometimes you can get to Port Allen faster than you can get to Broadmoor. However, the bridge can be a parking lot sometimes. Your commute would be opposite the worst of the traffic. There is an older neighborhood near downtown Port Allen that is real close to the bridge. If you like the big city though (Shreveport) you might prefer Baton Rouge.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:38 AM

Imsoblue,

thanks for your thoughts. I've been taking care of 2 acres (actually live outside of Shreveport), so a yard is not that daunting to me. I must have space for a garden, and I mean tomatoes. I kind of like the thought of a no-interstate commute, and don't mind a leisurely trip.

Port Allen - no. I have serious anxieties about that bridge. Used to zip back and forth across it 35 years ago when I was in school with no thought of being afraid of it, but I just hate it now. Can't imagine crossing it every day. Thanks for the idea, but, no.

Your input is helpful, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge