U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 PM

13 posts, read 149,242 times

Advertisements

I just wanna know since Katrina has there been a spike in crime the Baton Rouge? I know a lot of New Orleans residence relocated there, and New Orleans is pretty known for crime. So has crime been up in Baton Rouge ever since Katrina touched down and caused hell??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 06:55 PM

772 posts, read 4,188,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvindiggs88 View Post
I just wanna know since Katrina has there been a spike in crime the Baton Rouge? I know a lot of New Orleans residence relocated there, and New Orleans is pretty known for crime. So has crime been up in Baton Rouge ever since Katrina touched down and caused hell??
From what I've heard it's not any worse in Baton Rouge. Sounds like they got the better end of the deal and Houston got screwed.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 PM

9 posts, read 42,320 times
Also wondering about Jackson, Indiana, Knoxville, Dallas and other areas that took NO evacuees. Personally I think it's just Houston blaming their problems on someone else. There is no excuse for violent crime but I wonder how people form NO were treated in Houston after the storm too. I've heard people from that area use the term New Orleanian the same way people use to N word or other slurs. You know drop the volume a little, wrinkle their nose as though they are superior. I think very few people have any personal experience with problems involving people from New Orleans but their news is telling them what to believe. The best way to unite people is to find a common enemy. I try to keep my defensiveness in check because I feel like people are criticizing and condemning my home and I just don't buy it. I know NOLa has had its problems for a while but I don't believe that people from here are single handedly responsibly for ruining the quality of life in Houston. I don't doubt they have had some bad experiences but everyone I know who has relocated to Houston has been a contributing member of society just like they were here.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,325,161 times
I have also heard that the crime here has not really changed, but ithas changed a bit-higher. Most of the crimes are committed in North Baton Rouge and/or the Gardere area. There are also some isolated incidences, but that is everywhere. I know that the crime rate is NO was high, but I think most of them went to Houston as their crime rate did go up around 24 percent-so I heard. I think most NEW Orleanians are pretty cool, but not nearly as friendly on the road. Most people I let out from a side street and I do not get a wave from, are New Orleans people. How so I know? On the back of their care is WESTBANK<NORTHSHORE OR BANNER. To me, they cannot appreicate much.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 AM

11 posts, read 71,109 times
Homicide rates are up, and sadly most of it is black on black... like New Orleans. Don't forget about the stupid kid who shot someone w/ a .22 on the levee 4th of July.

Baton Rouge homicide rate rises - News (broken link)

Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM

195 posts, read 1,028,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piediriche View Post
I've heard people from that area use the term New Orleanian the same way people use to N word or other slurs. .
Like rappers and blacks???

Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 AM

24 posts, read 89,054 times
There have been quite a few more shootings lately. As a previous poster stated it is black on black. Some shootings seems to make the news at least twice a week. The suspects seem to be getting younger and younger though. It was just in July that they caught several young black men, present for the July 4th fireworks display, all carrying pistols. Doesn't make you feel very safe.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,325,161 times
i still feel very safe here. My parents live in a safe town in Florida and there was a shooting in a "rich" area of town. No one is safe anywhere-look at the shootings about 2 years ago in Amish Conutry!! Don't be afraid to live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge