Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:30 PM

23 posts, read 87,216 times

Advertisements

Hello there everyone. Guess what? I'm moving to Baton Rouge in 3 weeks (along with the other 1/3 of the forum it seems ) I have read through almost all of the 'moving to baton rouge' threads and got some good info from them, so thanks for that, but I think my questions may warrant a thread of their own...

I am working near the central city, a few blocks from the Magnolia Cemetary. I would like to find a 2-bedroom apartment if possible (so I can comfortably accomodate guests), and can afford between $750-$850 a month on rent.

Can I afford to live near my workplace? I would like to live in an interesting neighborhood with character -- unlike many of the people relocating, I'm not super paranoid about crime. In fact I would like to live in a place that has more of a working-class multi-racial character.

Is Spanishtown and Beauregaurd Town gentrified out of my price range at this point?

Any help would be greatly appricated. I spent one month in Louisiana last year and was so happy there. Perhaps, since I have always lived on the West Coast it was the first time I could be around so many French-Americans like myself Cant wait to touch down in Red Stick.

Now for good karma, I'm going to go answer some questions about Oregon in the Oregon forum...

Last edited by provincal b; 03-04-2008 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Your price range is pretty much borderline for Beaureguard Town and Spanish Town. But there are older units sometimes available for that price or a little less. However you're pretty much paying for location there.
I don't know of any area of Baton Rouge going through a true gentrification program. The North Gates Area of LSU is about as close as it gets and honestly they're just tearing down older properties and putting up condos.
The Garden District is a great diverse area as well that is open to new people, new ideas, eclectic lifestyle, etc. There are a few apartments and rental properties in that area as well.
There are plenty of affordable apartments along Jefferson Hwy and various areas in the eastern part of the city, but I don't know if they would fit into what you might be looking for.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 PM

Cool, I appreciate the info. But from what I can gather on-line, the Garden District is pretty upscale, no?

I'm trying to find a place close to the urban center that has normal, working-class Baton Rougians living there. If that's not possible, than no problem, I'll live elsewhere. Or, if there are parts of these districts where there is still affordable housing, then cool - that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for your info - I probably need to wait til I'm there and feel out the daily reality of the areas for myself. Those parts of the city sound really cool though from what I've researched, so it's good to know I might be able to afford to live there.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM

The Garden District would be old money, old old money really. Old money moved out towards Jefferson and Bocage and then some of them along with new money have moved out to the country club and surrounding suburbs.
I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the Garden District. It has it's own identity along with Spanish Town and Beaureguard Town, along with places like the North Gates and Tigerland (but those are definitely more student oriented). But the younger people are predominately the ones moving back into the city center.
There is nothing new about the Garden District, no new condos, no new apartments, no new stores. It is old and stays for the most part untouched, which makes it unique. And it is considered fairly diverse.

And it is very convenient to City Park.

Last edited by darylwi; 03-05-2008 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: forgot the park

Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,678 times
I've lived in Beauregard town for over 6 years now. There are affordable homes to be rented and definitely within your price range. Timing is key. My wife and I scored big time when we rented our house which is a 2 bed 1 bath (most homes in this area only have 1 bath) for only $600.

This area is becoming more sought after and more than likely that will continue. The neighborhoods (Spanish Town, Beauregard Town, Garden District, Mid City, etc.) are all good neighborhoods with some diversity. The people are laid back and friendly. The only drawbacks are that they are sandwhiched between bad areas which leads to foot-traffic. Couple that with most people having to park on the road, can lead to some car break-ins. Houses are typically safe, just bolt down/chain everything that you want to keep outside. Spanish town is probably the least affected by the foot-traffic, because there isn't as much as the other areas.

The best thing about Beauregard and Spanish town is their proximity (walking distance) to downtown (jobs, bars, restaurants, Live after 5, the Main Street Market, etc.) Definitely try out my new favorite pizza place, Schlitz and Giggles as well as Capital City Grill and Tsunami (Sushi). Just be careful at night. Not an all the time occurence, but you do hear "that story" once in a while.

All the places you listed are within 10 mins of campus if need be. Definitely catch a football game at Tiger Stadium. Even if you hate football, it will give you a whole perspectives on things.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the Garden District. It has it's own identity along with Spanish Town and Beaureguard Town, along with places like the North Gates and Tigerland (but those are definitely more student oriented). But the younger people are predominately the ones moving back into the city center.
There is nothing new about the Garden District, no new condos, no new apartments, no new stores. It is old and stays for the most part untouched, which makes it unique. And it is considered fairly diverse.
That sounds does sound nice, does anyone have any familiarity/opinion about the apartment complex at 901 St. Rose (near Government Street) on the northern edge of the Garden District?I guess it was built in the 60's and is gated. Are gated apartments common for the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosophyAskew View Post
I've lived in Beauregard town for over 6 years now. There are affordable homes to be rented and definitely within your price range. Timing is key. My wife and I scored big time when we rented our house which is a 2 bed 1 bath (most homes in this area only have 1 bath) for only $600...

All the places you listed are within 10 mins of campus if need be. Definitely catch a football game at Tiger Stadium. Even if you hate football, it will give you a whole perspectives on things.

Yep, I'm looking around for in that neighborhood, but haven't gotten lucky with any vacancies in my price range yet. I will definitely go to an LSU game at some point, I need to witness a SEC football game and tailgate scenario at least once just for the experience.

Thanks for all the help folks, this is making settling on a place much easier.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provincal b View Post
That sounds does sound nice, does anyone have any familiarity/opinion about the apartment complex at 901 St. Rose (near Government Street) on the northern edge of the Garden District?I guess it was built in the 60's and is gated. Are gated apartments common for the city?

Yep, I'm looking around for in that neighborhood, but haven't gotten lucky with any vacancies in my price range yet. I will definitely go to an LSU game at some point, I need to witness a SEC football game and tailgate scenario at least once just for the experience.

Thanks for all the help folks, this is making settling on a place much easier.
I actually know someone who lives in those apartments, if that's the same place I'm thinking about. She's fine with it. It's definitely older. It's not fancy, but my friend loves the area. And she has had no problems there. It seems to border some shady areas (because you'll see homes along S. Eugene just south of Government with bars on them), but I really don't hear of crime much in that area. Just a few blocks away from Government and the bars on windows begin to disappear. I typically see people outside walking, cleaning the yard, playing with their dog, etc.
Gated communities are actually becoming quite common now (around the country really), although statistically they don't do much for keeping out crime. They just look good, give you a false sense of security and give landlords another reason to raise the rent.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosophyAskew View Post

The best thing about Beauregard and Spanish town is their proximity (walking distance) to downtown (jobs, bars, restaurants, Live after 5, the Main Street Market, etc.) Definitely try out my new favorite pizza place, Schlitz and Giggles as well as Capital City Grill and Tsunami (Sushi). Just be careful at night. Not an all the time occurence, but you do hear "that story" once in a while.
Kudos on the Schlitz & Giggles reference. I love it. I love just about everything downtown, and I'm glad it's still growing.
For those interested: Live After Five is starting back up on the 28th.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 PM

155 posts, read 766,454 times
There's an old complex off Acadian Thruway between Government and Claycut. Many have been renovated and sold as condos. There are rentals available. I don't know the name of the development, but it was built in the 40s and all are red brick.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
There's an old complex off Acadian Thruway between Government and Claycut. Many have been renovated and sold as condos. There are rentals available. I don't know the name of the development, but it was built in the 40s and all are red brick.
Those sound really great -- I think I'm just going to need to get down there and look around at some of the 'mom and pop' apartments as well that might not be listed on-line and hang around some of these neighborhoods to evaluate their flavor. But your tips as well as darylwi's and PhilosophyAskew's are really invaluable for getting me started and knowing where to look first... thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: