Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 23,781 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on living in/buying a house 1 block due West off Park Blvd, off the Garden District in Baton Rouge? There seems to be some restoring and some new building on/off Terrace. (I like its close proximity to the City Park, my work & its affordable). (factors safety, crime...etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 23,423 times
I have a similar question. I have been in BR since June but am originally from Pennsylvania. I have been renting, but I am looking into purchasing a condo now. I recently viewed Park Place Condominiums (new conversion) on Park Blvd, next to BREC. When driving there, I took Acadian, L on Perkins, then L on Magnolia...it dead ends at the complex. Anyway, I thought it was absolutely gorgeous driving there...and I took Darymple on my way home.

However, I have been reading online reviews about the apartment complex before the conversion (Park Place Apartments or something like that), and it seems like there was a LOT of crime in that area. I was floored when I read that since the neighborhood seemed so quiet and secure while I was there. Is this true still? The latest review was in 2006, so I don't know how much things have changed. I have heard such great things about the Garden District until this...

Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 AM

5 posts, read 23,781 times
The new condos at Park Place. I don't know if you're talking about crime w/n the apartments themselves. But since they've all be totally redone into condos, I'd consider that a new ballgame. The Garden District area is lovely, and at the same time its had its share of "break ins", robberies and the like over the years. But I've not heard that it's any more crime laden than other similar areas. There are some areas that skirt it with lower socioeconomic situations that may have more crime elements that contribute to what you've heard. But it's nothing like what I hear about in the Gardere area in the Burbank area. The area on Terrace right off Park Blvd. is set for revitalization, though that may take a while. Park Place new condos back up/adjacent to the short street where they plan to build a nice group of detached houses. It's a very convenient area. Find out how many they've sold already. That should give you some clue as to what others think.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 12,268 times
I also just viewed Park Place Condos. I used to live in them when they were apartments and they have come a LONG way! They are absolutely gorgeous. The courtyard literally took my breath away. My husband and I are more than likely going to purchase a two bedroom unit. Not only will it be a great place for us to live, but when we decide to move, it will have served as a great investment. Everything close LSU's campus goes up up up!

I, too, have done some research about the area because it did, in fac, used to be rough. But now it seems as though it has transformed into a much nicer neighborhood. There is not NEARLY the amount of crime that it used to be!

In regards to checking the board to see how others feel, I noticed that about half of them were gone. The girl who gave me a tour told me that they had their grand opening on May 31st. This is a good sign to me! They're going relatively fast!!

Also-- the girl told me that they have done many things to make Park Place a more safe place to live. There are many security cameras and they also raised the fences as a precautionary.

From what I have deduced, these condos are as safe as any other condo complex in Baton Rouge. They are very nicely done and seem to be quite secure. Maybe go back for a second tour and ask questions about the security measures they have taken. They will be honest with you!

Well-- hope this helped. Who knows, you could be my neighbor at Park Place someday!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 28,937 times
I don't know about the complex itself. The streets behind it towards the train track have a few burnt out/abandoned shotguns (from City Park playground, walk down the hill towards the back of the complex, cross the street and the little street going uphill is the one I'm talking about). That said, if my own situation were one where I would live in that type of housing I'd seriously consider it buying there. Personally I love the Garden District area. I bike the lakes and City Park at night by myself and feel perfectly safe.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,421 times
Default Garden District Crime?

I have just rented a house in the Garden District. Wood floors, tall ceilings, light, great little house. I found out today from my insurance agent that
the house across the street was broken into the other day and the electronics were taken. I saw the police car there that evening and thought: great, they patrol this area! Now I am kind of uncomfortable. Am I walking into a bad situation? How often is this sort of thing happening? Are you afraid to go out at night in this area? I move in next week and my romance is turning cold. Any thoughts from my new neighbors?
Loubee

Old 11-07-2008, 02:10 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,398,097 times
I wouldn't let that incident across the street effect me, loubee. The sad fact of life is that wherever people congregate in large numbers there will be some crime. Just be sure that you have adequate renter's insurance to cover all of your belongings.

Someone above mentioned the Gardere area which is where I live. While it is true that this is not a very safe area, I am happy to report that my house has been robbed only once. My State Farm agent strongly suggested burglar bars, so I had these installed in 1981. Since then the robberies in the adjacent houses continue to this day, but I have not been a victim again.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 AM

100 posts, read 390,491 times
The new condos near City Park are all gated. There's a bark park next door and they are approximately 5 minutes from the Perkins Road overpass area and they are accross the street from an 8 mile jogging trail around the LSU lakes.

Most of the crime issues are probably solved when they went condo and rennovated the whole thing. I wouldn't worry for myself about living there, but I'd be mindful of vandalism, car stereo theft, etc.

I used to live in the garden district area. I was accross the street from what people consider a bad neighborhood.

I honestly never had a problem except that I drove a big vehicle and couldn't fit it in the driveway without blocking part of the sidewalk. Don't buy in there unless you have adequate street parking!

What minor issues you may have with owning an older home is offset by the location and the look of the area. I want to move back to Baton Rouge (trying to weigh MBA programs and LSU isn't fairing as well as the other schools I'm considering), and if that happens I'd buy in this area or in the Zeeland Gardens area.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:11 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,442,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blume View Post
Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on living in/buying a house 1 block due West off Park Blvd, off the Garden District in Baton Rouge? There seems to be some restoring and some new building on/off Terrace. (I like its close proximity to the City Park, my work & its affordable). (factors safety, crime...etc.)
Risky - not so nice neighborhoods begin once you cross Park Blvd going towards downtown.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 14,421 times
Thank you for your reply. Moving forward to Garden District rental!
Loubee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge