Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 AM

67 posts, read 170,299 times

Advertisements

Moving to south of BR, what kind of Homeowners insur rates should we expect for a 250K house? Thinking of an area not in a flood zone, and around Prairieville. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeagleWeagle View Post
Moving to south of BR, what kind of Homeowners insur rates should we expect for a 250K house? Thinking of an area not in a flood zone, and around Prairieville. Thanks for any input.
To be honest, once you get south of Baton Rouge, the rates go up because insurers believe that exposure to hurricanes/flooding makes it risky to insure. I'd expect 1500-3K per year for that price of house.

Another word of advice - don't feel that you HAVE to go with the "Big Two" of Allstate and State Farm. For one thing, they have recently instituted hurricane ("named storm") deductibles of 2 or 5% before they will pay a dime. I would recommend giving Liberty Mutual a call, as they have reasonable deductibles and don't do this "named storm" silliness like the Big Two do.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM

457 posts, read 756,877 times
I have "Travelers" (GEICO) homeowners and I'm very pleased with how I got treated after our last big hurricane.
FYI; Even if I didn't live in a flood zone I would get flood insurance.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM

Either of you live on the southside? If so, is there an agent you'd recommend, especially maybe one that reps several so I can get multiple quotes without calling 5 guys?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Either of you live on the southside? If so, is there an agent you'd recommend, especially maybe one that reps several so I can get multiple quotes without calling 5 guys?
I live in southern East Baton Rouge Parish. Karen Thornton at Liberty Mutual was pretty helpful. And actually I found out about Liberty Mututal by Googling homeowners insurance in Louisiana (or something like that) and got several people who returned my call.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 AM

457 posts, read 756,877 times
I'm in Denham Springs just 5 miles south of I-12 , a rocks throw away from B.R. I don't speak to any of my insurance co.s unless something happens. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,655 times
Quote:
Seeing as you're coming from Florida, it's a good guess that you'll find just about any quote to be lower than what you are paying there. I'm paying State Farm a little under $1600 for a policy with only fair coverage. My deductible for the claim I made in 2008 was $2800, which was about half what my neighbors had to pay out to have their roofs repaired.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Seeing as you're coming from Florida, it's a good guess that you'll find just about any quote to be lower than what you are paying there. I'm paying State Farm a little under $1600 for a policy with only fair coverage. My deductible for the claim I made in 2008 was $2800, which was about half what my neighbors had to pay out to have their roofs repaired.
You'd think so, but we're in north florida so I cant lie that when he said up to 3000 I messed my pants.... We've lived in the cheapest part of the state for homeowners, paying under 500/yr. Any idea who your neighbor had for insurance?

Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You'd think so, but we're in north florida so I cant lie that when he said up to 3000 I messed my pants.... We've lived in the cheapest part of the state for homeowners, paying under 500/yr. Any idea who your neighbor had for insurance?
There's always North Louisiana if you want cheap insurance.

Seriously, though, I think that I-10/12 is a kind of divding line when it comes to pricing a policy. As in, the further south of that line you go, the more insurance costs. And I can only imagine what it costs in NO. Personally, I pay LESS than 1K a year with Liberty Mutual. But I live in East Baton Rouge Parish.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM

I hear ya. (This is husband by the way) Just don't want too long of a drive. My wife looked at some homes in Denham Springs and had two very bad experiences that turned her off to the area. Others have mentioned Central and Zachary...toooooo far a drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge