U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am writing on this forum as I am having a difficult time finding housing in Baton Rouge. I am a veterinarian moving to Baton Rouge on July 1 to start a position at LSU's vet school. I am looking for a small house (pref. 2 bedroom) with hardwood/tile throughout, fenced yd, central air, washer/dryer or hookups and of course dogs allowed as they come along with the profession. I have two small eng. bulldog - one 25 lbs and one 37 lbs. I really want to live in an older neighborhood that I can walk the dogs in and run in the evening (Spanish town, Beauregard town, garden district, hundred oaks, southdowns, capital heights, etc.) Please let me know if you have any suggestions of where to find such a property for hopefully under 1200 per month. I have been trying local real estate agents, craigslist and the advocate. I often will find something that sounds great but the leasing agency or owner will choose someone who is local who they do not need to email pictures to. I currently live in Florida and visited Baton Rouge once in April. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 AM

52 posts, read 236,381 times
I'm not sure this will help.

I found, but now can't remember the name, a service that for $50.00 will help you find places to rent in the area. Sorry I can't be more help with the name, but perhaps a google search might help?

Moving sucks, but you might want to consider renting an apt. for 6months or so then trying to find a house. I know it's not the best solution...

I just moved here from Florida in January. If there's anything I can help you with, let me know.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM

21 posts, read 61,884 times
The service is called RentMax and it's $60 if you pay in cash. I don't recommend it, but you might have better success with it. We're moving to Baton Rouge this month and visited to find a place. Although the service advertises that you'll find houses/apts that are listed nowhere else, we tried it and it didn't really give us much of anything. Many of the places were also listed in the paper, craigslist, with real estate agents, etc.). You have to check with them for new ads EVERY DAY and you can only do that by going by the office or by FAX....no email. And no pictures on the list they gave us. So it's not very handy if you're not in the area.

When you do find a place, expect to pay a non-refundable pet fee.

Good luck! We called several realtors to see if they had anything to match our criteria. I'll send you a PM with the name of the realtor that finally helped us out. She might have something else that might fit your needs.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 AM

52 posts, read 236,381 times
Thanks for providing the name! I was skeptical of the business. I'm used to apt. complexes and private homes paying services to promote their properties and the renter not being charged. I'm glad I choose not to go with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge