Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 AM

41 posts, read 153,177 times

Advertisements

I would love to know if anyone in the Baton Rouge area is considering or has a storm shelter. I'm considering it, but wonder if I should invest in one. This area has had 32 tornadoes since 1950, three of them rated F3. I experienced one I think it was in 1988. It hit the street before mine, took out many trees and badly damaged a mobile home park not far from where I live. It was terrifying. Would I be over-reacting to put in a shelter? The storm we had on Saturday a couple of weeks ago sent my family running to a closet and many of my friends got in their tubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,349,636 times
Where do you live? It wouldn't be bad since we do have tornadoes, and hurricanes that develop lots of tornadoes.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,358,310 times
The idea of a storm shelter always intrigued me . What kind of shelter are you considering ?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 AM

41 posts, read 153,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
The idea of a storm shelter always intrigued me . What kind of shelter are you considering ?

I'm thinking about an above ground one made of steel to put either in my garage or in an interior room I have in the house. Would cost about $5,000 installed and could hold up to 5 people. It is supposedly certified by FEMA to withstand F5 winds.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,961 times
If tornadic activity were more frequent around here,I would say yes but if it gives you a piece of mind go for it. Personally, if you live in Baton Rouge, you are more likely to sustain damage to your house by trees falling on your house, and from flooding depending on certain subdivisions. That isn't to say we don't get tornados, but the ones we get tend to be very weak, even those generated from hurricanes are normally weak.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 PM

595 posts, read 1,174,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaroma View Post
I would love to know if anyone in the Baton Rouge area is considering or has a storm shelter. I'm considering it, but wonder if I should invest in one. This area has had 32 tornadoes since 1950, three of them rated F3. I experienced one I think it was in 1988. It hit the street before mine, took out many trees and badly damaged a mobile home park not far from where I live. It was terrifying. Would I be over-reacting to put in a shelter? The storm we had on Saturday a couple of weeks ago sent my family running to a closet and many of my friends got in their tubs.
IMO If it gives You a safe place to go and gives You peace of mind by all means go for it .I have wanted one for years but have not had the cash for a project like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: