Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM

13 posts, read 36,832 times

Advertisements

These are interesting posts. I returned to Baton Rouge to take care of my mother and aunt after living in several cities in the past 20 years. I believe the city works for some people, but for me I am aching for good, plentiful theater, diverse neighborhoods where people don't assume people of color are dangerous, concerts (does anyone come to BR or do all acts go to New Orleans and Lafayette), a dynamic downtown with not just places to eat, but things to DO, comedy clubs, and ...well..CHOICES. It's easy to find a great place to eat here, but you pretty much have to travel out of town to see plays or go to concerts, so I feel like my kids are missing out on what's going on in the rest of the world of the arts. The Shaw Center is a good start, though. We could also use a cool place like a Dave and Busters or Jillians. I find that most entertainment occurs at a BBQ at someone's house. if you live in the suburbs, you have to drive 15-20 miles to get to a movie theater and with the price of gas, I'd just as soon stay home and I LOVE going out. I also miss decent public transportation and bike paths. it isn't that i dislike Baton Rouge, but I just miss living in a city with these things and I will probably leave as soon as my aunt passes.

One other thing: Baton Rouge is very, very traditional and even though I grew up here, I really feel like an outsider. Unless you are in your 20s or 30s it is difficult to fall into a group of adults, especially singles, that you can befriend and do things with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessallen View Post
These are interesting posts. I returned to Baton Rouge to take care of my mother and aunt after living in several cities in the past 20 years. I believe the city works for some people, but for me I am aching for good, plentiful theater, diverse neighborhoods where people don't assume people of color are dangerous, concerts (does anyone come to BR or do all acts go to New Orleans and Lafayette), a dynamic downtown with not just places to eat, but things to DO, comedy clubs, and ...well..CHOICES. It's easy to find a great place to eat here, but you pretty much have to travel out of town to see plays or go to concerts, so I feel like my kids are missing out on what's going on in the rest of the world of the arts. The Shaw Center is a good start, though. We could also use a cool place like a Dave and Busters or Jillians. I find that most entertainment occurs at a BBQ at someone's house. if you live in the suburbs, you have to drive 15-20 miles to get to a movie theater and with the price of gas, I'd just as soon stay home and I LOVE going out. I also miss decent public transportation and bike paths. it isn't that i dislike Baton Rouge, but I just miss living in a city with these things and I will probably leave as soon as my aunt passes.

One other thing: Baton Rouge is very, very traditional and even though I grew up here, I really feel like an outsider. Unless you are in your 20s or 30s it is difficult to fall into a group of adults, especially singles, that you can befriend and do things with.
I have to disagree with you on some points! I am 42 with a 5 year old child and we have made 5 wonderful sets of friends here through work, soccer or through school functions and we don't fall into the 20-30 range. Second, we have several comedy clubs and about 5 places that offer plays. Mind you, they are not Broadway plays, but plays nonetheless. Dave and Busters or Jillians would be nice thing to have here, but there are already so many places for kids to go now I don't know where one would even fit! I would like those for the older kids though, most child friendly places are too young for the teens! Concerts re few and far between here I do agree. I know that the River Center is trying to move up in the world and get better concerts there. I live in south baton Rouge and it takes me exactly 6 minutes to get to the Mall of Louisiana and there movie theatre there. Now, if you live in the outlying parishes, then yes, you have to drive, but that is their chioce to make. Please don't get upset about the things I have said, I agree with some and disagree with others(points you made).

Old 06-19-2008, 03:32 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,869 times
I think the proximity to NOLA has always hurt BTR with regards to entertainment, but we do have it. As for plays, look for Broadway in Baton Rouge during the winter months. They've brought quality traveling broadway performances to the city every year for the past several years. Granted, they won't have the props and the elaborate sets they have in Manhattan, but you can't beat it for the price. NYC = $100+ a ticket whereas BTR might be $30-$50 for good seats.
We have more than enough movie theaters although they may not be evenly distributed around the metro area. That's poor planning though. And Baton Rouge does have a lot of that. That's why downtown is only beginning to come around after a long decline.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessallen View Post

I left BR in '88 for good and save for a yearly visit, I have no intentions of returning permanently. I will say the many parts of city has grown and evolved since then, and is a lot more diverse.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osunshine View Post
We will moving there May 23rd.

I have some friends that were from there (they now live in AL) and all I keep hearing from them is how much I am going to hate living in B.R. How people there are snobby and resent outsiders. If you are not home grown then you are nothing in the eyes of the locals. That there is nothing to do. That crime is awful & I should be packing a gun just to attend church.

I have been very excited about moving there. I hope to meet lots of fine people. But I am disheartened some past locals feel so bad about B.R.

Is their view right on or are they just jealous they no longer live there?

What are your thoughts?
You'll hate BR - WRONG
People are snobby - Mostly WRONG
People hate outsiders - Depends on the part of town. The newer areas and/or areas near LSU have people move in and out all the time because of the chemical industries, state government, and academia.
There is nothing to do - WRONG
Crime is awful - WRONG. We're a metro area of 700-750K, and as such there will be crime. Plus, we received some of New Orleans problems after Katrina.

And the pack a gun to attend church is so silly, it's unbelievable. There are parts of town I'd avoid, of course, but such caution is not unique to BR.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Caa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
You'll hate BR - WRONG
People are snobby - Mostly WRONG
People hate outsiders - Depends on the part of town. The newer areas and/or areas near LSU have people move in and out all the time because of the chemical industries, state government, and academia.
There is nothing to do - WRONG
Crime is awful - WRONG. We're a metro area of 700-750K, and as such there will be crime. Plus, we received some of New Orleans problems after Katrina.

And the pack a gun to attend church is so silly, it's unbelievable. There are parts of town I'd avoid, of course, but such caution is not unique to BR.
Yes, I have to agree BRman! I met a lady at a bday party this past weekend and she just moaned and camplained about Baton Rouge. She said that Louisiana has the worst pay in the country and if you weren't 'just so' then you were not with the in crowd. Now seriously, I do not feel that way at all and told her so. My pay as an xray tech was exactly equal to what I was making in south Florida and I think the people here are very friendly and outgoing, so I have no idea what she was talking about! As far as crime, you are right on all points!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:48 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Yes, I have to agree BRman! I met a lady at a bday party this past weekend and she just moaned and camplained about Baton Rouge. She said that Louisiana has the worst pay in the country and if you weren't 'just so' then you were not with the in crowd. Now seriously, I do not feel that way at all and told her so. My pay as an xray tech was exactly equal to what I was making in south Florida and I think the people here are very friendly and outgoing, so I have no idea what she was talking about! As far as crime, you are right on all points!
To be honest, all these attempts to make BR this war zone are so wrong. You wonder what the motivation is of those who have nothing but bile towards our fair city.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:25 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
To be honest, all these attempts to make BR this war zone are so wrong. You wonder what the motivation is of those who have nothing but bile towards our fair city.
The same motive as me traveling to Europe and coming back to say that the people there are arrogant, rude and noone should travel over there, self gratification.

And by the way, I love Europe.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Caa

It is so nice to hear that there are people who think very highly of this city! Yes, there are some things I don't like too well, but nothing to make me leave! People here and the food are outstanding and the activities..well..lots to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge