Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2023, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,879 times

Advertisements

Baton Rouge has a reputation of a place where you need to put your kids in private schools to get a good education. But I have a hard time believing that there are no good public schools in the city.

Please educate me on the public school system in the area. This is something I get asked about all the time by my clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 05:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living In Louisiana View Post
Baton Rouge has a reputation of a place where you need to put your kids in private schools to get a good education. But I have a hard time believing that there are no good public schools in the city.

Please educate me on the public school system in the area. This is something I get asked about all the time by my clients.
The middle class people left the Baton Rouge school system and have moved to the suburbs and private schools. Schools aren't bad, it's the living conditions of the students home life. Much of the kids in BR schools are poorer and black and many middle class white people aren't fond of that so you get terrible "schools" for the most vulnerable children.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:09 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The middle class people left the Baton Rouge school system and have moved to the suburbs and private schools. Schools aren't bad, it's the living conditions of the students home life. Much of the kids in BR schools are poorer and black and many middle class white people aren't fond of that so you get terrible "schools" for the most vulnerable children.
Take out the "white" part and I'd pretty much agree with you.

I see all kinds of non-white people in suburbs and their schools. Including many many black people.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:17 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living In Louisiana View Post

I would not send my future kids to any public schools within the EBR public school system. The City of Central has a separate school system that is very reputable. There is an attempt to create a new school district in St. George, and Zachary is also an independent school district geographically in EBR Parish. Within EBR public schools though, there is a lot of crime, drugs and violence and the system seems to be more about wokeness and cancel culture with very liberal teachers. Just a few months ago, there was a massive brawl involving hundreds of students. Any future incorporation of St. George will be beneficial to their local schools as the funds will stay within the area vs be redistributed to prop up failing schools in the rest of the city.

There was a large obsession about renaming Lee High School for example, because of cancel culture. The teacher union also heavily and publicly opposed the industrial property tax exemption for ExxonMobil which detracted from the region's business friendly reputation and hurts our economic competitvenesss.

Livingston and Ascension Parishes have good public schools.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:50 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Baton Rouge schools are likely on par with those in similar southern cities, such as Mobile, Jackson, etc.. As a parent, you want your kids to get the best education possible. Ours went to Episcopal. Covington and Mandeville have some of the best public schools in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge