Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 73,665 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Well, I will be relocating to Baton Rouge this summer, and I have some questions.
I know that the crime rate is high, which I don't look forward to at all. I am a young woman who has had some traumatizing experiences in the past, so it is vitally important for me to feel safe in my house and neighborhood. I do intend to install security systems and whatnot, but I would still prefer to live in a relatively safe area. No kids, so I don't care about the schools in the area.
I also don't care about how expensive the rent will be, and I don't care a bit about snobby neighbors. I just want to be able to walk my dog after dark without being paranoid.
Where should I look? Where should I avoid? Are there any places that I shouldn't even drive through?
I would also appreciate any information about the Baton Rouge area and culture.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 AM

42 posts, read 250,315 times
My family is also planning to move to BR in the summer. There's East Baton Rouge and West Baton Rouge (LSU area). We have visited about 4 times as I was originally from New Orleans and bought a home there in EBR. I would suggest that you visit if you can before you move because we had t o as we had no idea what the city was like. We were also looking for a crime free area. We found a home in a nice area in the Goodwood/Broodmoor area. I've read on these posts to steer clear of areas North of Florida Ave, also Plank Road, Gardere area. Its been said that the North Baton Rouge is a bit rough. I've been there and it is. When we first looked for a home that we saw online, we went looking and wound up there. Im not sure about WBR as we never went there. If you read previous posts on here about where to live and where not to they will give you alot of info. Also, a realtor would be able to steer you into a great area since they live here and know what areas are safer than others

Old 03-31-2007, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 37,036 times
I recommend living near where you work. If you're looking in south east of Baton Rouge, Woodridge subdivision (off Pecue Lane) is an excellent multicultural neighborhood that has been safe (so far). Also has easy access to Airline hwy and I-10.

If you are looking for a house in this neighborhood look at the ERA Stirling Website as they have several at reasonable prices.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 AM

155 posts, read 766,401 times
I second Aldo's suggestion to consider locating near your place of work. Where will that be? Traffic in BR can be a nightmare. Keeping your daily commute as short as possible will make you much happier. I live in the SW part of the city and can offer suggestions around here.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 73,665 times
I will be commuting to LSU. I grew up in a big city, so I don't mind traffic as much.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Let me rephrase that. Here you do a lot of sitting in traffic. It can be very aggravating sitting through the same red light 4 or 5 times.

I'm only a couple miles from LSU. A lot of older neighborhoods around here include College Town, Southdowns, University Gardens, University Acres. All of those would be south of Perkins Road. To the north of Perkins you'll find Zeeland Place, Hundred Oaks, Capital Heights, Garden District. I'll link the local For Sale By Owner site. Look in Area 5 for the closest proximity to LSU.

www.fsbobr.com

Old 04-06-2007, 07:49 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklime View Post
Hi all,

Well, I will be relocating to Baton Rouge this summer, and I have some questions.
I know that the crime rate is high, which I don't look forward to at all. I am a young woman who has had some traumatizing experiences in the past, so it is vitally important for me to feel safe in my house and neighborhood. I do intend to install security systems and whatnot, but I would still prefer to live in a relatively safe area. No kids, so I don't care about the schools in the area.
I also don't care about how expensive the rent will be, and I don't care a bit about snobby neighbors. I just want to be able to walk my dog after dark without being paranoid.
Where should I look? Where should I avoid? Are there any places that I shouldn't even drive through?
I would also appreciate any information about the Baton Rouge area and culture.

Thank you so much in advance.
I've lived in BR most of my life, and feel fairly safe. Now to answer your question: areas to avoid: (1) Anything north of Florida or within a few blocks of Florida, (2) Gardere Lane (it's a bunch of apartments that went Section 8 in the 1980s and is suburban blight, although they're building nice condos/houses around it now, (3) Anything between Acadian/Stanford and downtown - it's ghetto or close to ghetto, and (4) Old Hammond between Sherwood and Millerville - these apartments went downhill in the 1990s.

Since you're young and single and $$ is not an issue, there are several more pricey complexes you'd probably like: (1) Parks in the Mansion - Perkins at about Kenilworth, (2) Parks at Bluebonnet - BLuebonnet at Perkins, (3) any of the apartments on Corporate between Citiplace and Jefferson - these are all upscale.

BR itself has some culture (not like in bigger cities, though) and what culture there is is probably connected to the downtown area and/or LSU.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
...(3) Anything between Acadian/Stanford and downtown - it's ghetto or close to ghetto...
You're off on #3. Lots of nice areas north of Acadian/Stanford ... University Gardens, Hundred Oaks, Capitol Heights, Zeeland Place, Garden District.

Pinklime, are you looking for a house or apt.?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
You're off on #3. Lots of nice areas north of Acadian/Stanford ... University Gardens, Hundred Oaks, Capitol Heights, Zeeland Place, Garden District.

Pinklime, are you looking for a house or apt.?
No, please recall that I said "it's ghetto or close to ghetto" - those areas you listed are all within several blocks of the bad parts of town. As in there is a ghetto is across Park, in Valley Park, or near the Perkins overpass.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
...those areas you listed are all within several blocks of the bad parts of town...
The Valley Park area is low-income and predominantly black, but I'd hardly classify it is "bad part of town." The Gardere area and parts of north BR would fit your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge