U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 PM

9 posts, read 31,657 times

Advertisements

I'm in the running for a job offshore and am thinking of moving to the Baton Rouge area, since I like it down there and don't wanna have to evacuate for every hurricane that blows in.

Since I won't have a daily commute what areas should I plan to visit? My only requirements is affordable rent ($800 or so for 2bdrm apartment/house, I can double that if I have to, but want to save for a house). So far the only suggestion we've gotten is Denhim Springs.

I want to be within decent driving distance of the city, and it be a safe area, since my finance will be there alone when I'm gone and she plans to work in the city. She's a bit more paranoid than me even though we are both from the Jackson, MS area (its has its own fair amount of crime).

Are the public schools there really that bad? Do students at the private schools get that scholarship thing if they keep a B average or whatever?

Ohh and what about fishing? I plan to get a boat, is there brine near there where I can fish for reds, seabream etc...?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 PM

12 posts, read 58,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick73 View Post
I'm in the running for a job offshore and am thinking of moving to the Baton Rouge area, since I like it down there and don't wanna have to evacuate for every hurricane that blows in.

Since I won't have a daily commute what areas should I plan to visit? My only requirements is affordable rent ($800 or so for 2bdrm apartment/house, I can double that if I have to, but want to save for a house). So far the only suggestion we've gotten is Denhim Springs.

I want to be within decent driving distance of the city, and it be a safe area, since my finance will be there alone when I'm gone and she plans to work in the city. She's a bit more paranoid than me even though we are both from the Jackson, MS area (its has its own fair amount of crime).

Are the public schools there really that bad? Do students at the private schools get that scholarship thing if they keep a B average or whatever?

Ohh and what about fishing? I plan to get a boat, is there brine near there where I can fish for reds, seabream etc...?
Eh. I've been in Louisiana since March and from what I've heard and what I've driven through, I would avoid Denham Springs. I think you should look at Zachary (10 miles north of Baton Rouge). I've heard the schooling is not that great in Denham Springs, but Zachary is rated number 1 in the state.

Zachary Chamber of Commerce, Zachary, Louisiana (LA)

Fishing shouldn't be a problem, just don't plan on getting into the water or eating the fish. There are advisories on the DEQ website:

Fish Consumption and Swimming Advisories

Hope this helps!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:10 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,122,272 times
Quote:

If there are no kids (which is how I've interpreted what you have said), that opens up the areas in East Baton Rouge Parish you can live. In general, anything south of Florida and east of Park Blvd/Dalrymple is OK, with a few MAJOR exceptions: (1) north of Florida Blvd is Central, which is a nice semi-rural area, (2) Gardere and anything on Blvd De Provence are to be avoided - they're slums.

EBR public schools have had a bad reputation because of busing, and you've had massive flight to outlying parishes. And to add insult to injury, three parts of East Baton Rouge (Central, Zachary, and Baker) have broken away and formed their own school districts. So I don't know if you want to mess with that.

Beyond that, what's important (proximity to retail, house, apartment, etc) to you ? We cna narrow the search down some.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Yeah no kids yet, so the schools wont be a issue for several years I was just curious if it'd be a good place to have em later on.

Personally I just want peace and quiet. I know it's a college town but I'd like to avoid the areas that students live.

I also want affordable rent, and the fiance wants a "safe" area. As far as being close to stuff it's not going to matter to me, as my work commute will consist of driving to or from Grand Isle once a week. As long as most of the city is available within a 30 min commute it should be fine.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,122,272 times
Quote:
Yeah no kids yet, so the schools wont be a issue for several years I was just curious if it'd be a good place to have em later on.

Personally I just want peace and quiet. I know it's a college town but I'd like to avoid the areas that students live.

I also want affordable rent, and the fiance wants a "safe" area. As far as being close to stuff it's not going to matter to me, as my work commute will consist of driving to or from Grand Isle once a week. As long as most of the city is available within a 30 min commute it should be fine.
For peace and quiet, I like Central. There are also areas in the extreme southeast and southwest corners of EBR. This means Hoo Shoo Too Road and Elliott Road (southeast) and Nicholson near Bluebonnet (southwest). One caveat to all these areas, though: retail is very limited in those areas, although Central is starting to get some.

You may also want to look at St Amant (Ascension Parish), Walker/Livingston (Livingston Parish), or even St Francisville (W Feliciana Parish).

Let me also say, though, that "where the students live" is fairly concentrated. In an area roughly bordered by LSU, the Miss River, Brightside/W.Lee, and Bayou Duplantier are where you'll see "Studentvilles." And let me add that in addition to having students around, that part of town is tough to navigate on Game Day and when LSU starts in the fall.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:20 AM

100 posts, read 366,940 times
If you have no reason to be in the city, then I'd suggest New Roads or St. Francisville.

Both are pretty, both offer good housing options (St. Fransisville is smaller with less options), and both have good private schools for those future children. Central offers good public schools and affordable housing, but it's not as pretty as New Roads or St. Francisville.

They are both within a half hour of downtown and 40 minutes from LSU, both offer great recreation, and both are beautiful communities....and there's great hunting in West Feliciana and good fishing in Pointe Coupee.

I'm surprised you are not considering Lafayette or Broussard if you are working offshore......

If you are bent on BR, then I'd try to rent a home in Broadmoor, Central, Sherwood, or maybe in the Jefferson/Corporate area if you can. All of south Baton Rouge is on parade mode for home LSU football games...but I usually don't care since I'm the guy having a blast at LSU.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Cool thanks I'll look at those too, I'm not bent on living in the city itself, and she doesn't care as long as the commute is within the half hour range. I would like to be able to avoid the LSU area on games days too.

Wasn't looking into Lafayette since it'll be the same commute for me, as I'm sure I'd be going out of Grand Isle, since that's where my dad's been going out from for the past 30 years, plus she has family in BR, and works for the state here in MS and wants to do the same in LA if possible, and I think there's more to do there especially with NOLA being reasonably close.

If it all pans out first year or two we'll be renting anyway before we buy something.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 11,685 times
Quote:

I live in Baton Rouge, La. I have lived here for a very long time! I have always wanted to live in Denham Springs, Livingston parish. I went to school for only a short time there when I was in grade school. ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN BATON ROUGE. I am not racist at all but I do not think your children can thrive in ANY baton rouge school AND THEY would not really 'fit in'. ...its pretty much all black only schools. LIVINGSTON PARISH has the bestttttttttt schools in this area that are public!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They would 'fit in' VERY WELL!!! Livingston is growing VERY FAST as that is the 'prime location' for almost every family now! I haven't moved there bc I really can't afford the move at this time. If i had the money I'd already have left...point being its an awesome place. If you like fishing (im a woman I dont fish) the Amite River follows along livingston parish and seperates East Baton ROUge Parish from Livingston. I actually live on the river I see people fishing all the time. It's kinda funny actually because if I had a boat all I have to do is cross the river and I'm in livingston parish. I think its cool!....anyways have fun in whatever you decide! and GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 11,685 times
I have lived in Zachary! I went to middle and highschool there! They do have great schools! But again there's more black kids there than white. That is my hang up. Central, st. francisville, all of those areas have more black kids. I don't have a problem with that if it were an even amount but its not! That's something to consider, if your child would be comfortable at that type of school. Maybe ya'll should check out some of the schools and the surrounding areas before you make a decision. Denham SPrings is the absolute BESTT OF THE BEST. thats just me though apparantly. Here are some links about the schools in E. b. r. parish and living. parish....
Baton Rouge Schools - Baton Rouge Louisiana School Ratings - Public and Private it list private and public schools... i haven't personally looked through the website i just googled it that link should be able to give you information on schools in all the areas you are considering. here'a a link for livingston schools (direct link) list on the home page every school in the area. happy reading ................ Links to School Web Pages
oh yeah by the way most of east baton rouge schools are being taken over by the state bc of poor performance.... the organization "100 black men" was suppose to take over a few schools. i haven't seen any updates on that lately though......one more site is...... East Baton Rouge Parish School Board I JUST READ THAT YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE CHILDREN YET......AFTER HAVING DONE ALL THAT RESEARCH LOL...GOOD LUCK. i personally again hate baton rouge areas all together but its where everything is at...again livingston parish is being very populated and is growing quickly........bye and have fun either way

Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,001,032 times
City of Central . Good school system . It is not predominately black as stated above . The commute to the inner city isn't any worse than any other part of town . MUCH better than trying to get in or out of Livingston parish every day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge